Yes Im a total newb

• thejij
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 Spectre N1
More
22 Jul 2012 00:21 #537571 by thejij
Replied by thejij on topic Yes Im a total newb
I get what your trying to say , however I dont have anyone to help me so I have to go it alone. I was just asking questions... I have the manual on order, and Im sure alot my questions will be answered once I get them.

Im not really taking offense, but I will say, that if I dont try I will never learn. So how do i learn.. but to do. Again, i dont have anyone that has experience in this or the interest in helping, so I do it by myself. And I feel by asking in the forums.. i am enlisting people with hands on experience. Lastly .. the subject of my post starts with "total newb" so I would expect those who didnt want to lend a hand wouldnt read it. All that aside, I do thank you for letting me know that they wouldnt be the right part, and appreciate the words.

Getting the tires on my bike at the local motorcycle shop was a 1.5 week adventure in waiting. They are apparantly too busy to work on my bike. Even when we discussed the head bearing.. it was well maybe in September we could do it... come on a month??? really???

So all that said.. yes I ask silly questions.. but at least I am asking them, I was once told the only stupid question is one that is not asked. Perhaps thats only a canadian thing eh. I will probably post more questions as well... hopefully Ill still get willing people helping me.

Jer

1982 KZ750 Spectre N1 - Shaft Drive
Four-stroke, 4 Cylinder, Dual Over Head Camshaft
Engine No: KZ750NE000001 -
Frame No: JKAKZDN1()CA000001 -
Service Manual No: Same as Z(KZ)750-F1
Owner's Manual No: 99920-1146-07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thejij
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 Spectre N1
More
02 Aug 2012 14:25 #540271 by thejij
So good news... i got it all back together last night... new parts, gaskets, oil, timing, valve clearances etc etc, after a couple turns... vroom !!

It started, i was so proud... first time ever doing a top end engine rebuild and i didnt break anything (that i know of yet)

I did notice it had a loudness, oh its an exhaust leak.. i looked and i see one of the exhaust and O rings had slipped out.. so ill fix that.. and see what happens.

Wondering if I want to take on the steering head bearing (parts are here) or just pay someone to do it.... Im not sure I want to play with taking of the forks and stuff.

More
02 Aug 2012 15:03 #540276 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Yes Im a total newb
Congratulations! The exhaust leak should be a relatively easy fix compared to the rest of that tear down.

I've never actually done any work on the forks myself, but I wouldn't think it would be any harder than the engine teardown you just accomplished, I know others here could help you a lot more than i could on that.

And Ed and I weren't trying to berate you for suggesting using other rings. Just trying to show you the line of logic which leads to them not working. I always hate it when I'm told "no" without an explanation. And I'm pretty sure Ed was just trying to get across the gravity of the potential error there, but I can't really speak for him.

Either way, congrats again on getting her running properly, big part of the battle right there.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• thejij
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 Spectre N1
More
02 Aug 2012 15:58 #540282 by thejij
well im not out of the woods yet... for some reason it wont idle on its.. so im checking to see if i connected the carbs wrong, left a vacuum hose off of something.. if i hold the throttle she will run... but if i let go.. it just dies.

And yeah I know what you guys were saying... i didnt really take it personally. Its all a learning experience and any insight/critism is a good thing :)

• thejij
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 Spectre N1
More
02 Aug 2012 16:02 #540284 by thejij
wishing I took a picture of how it was connected though. Cause I cant seem to find any pictures of where the cables go etc.. (still waiting on manual) im hoping a google search will help me out. To show where each vacuum hose etc goes.

More
02 Aug 2012 16:10 #540286 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Yes Im a total newb
There's a little port on the engine side of the carbs. Make sure they're all plugged except the one going to the petcock. Seems to be a common problem around here lately, but that can cause you to go lean, which could give it trouble idling, especially while cold.

Just to check, you are using full choke at startup right? These bikes won't start without it. As it warms up you can then reduce the choke. And you may just need to up the idle speed adjustment, if that's way too low it'll just stall out. I haven't played with the carbs on these yet, so I'm not sure where it needs to be.

I hear you on the manual, definitely takes some time.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre
The following user(s) said Thank You: thejij

• thejij
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 Spectre N1
More
02 Aug 2012 16:56 #540295 by thejij
well. time to rage.

I figured I would do a compression test... and 1 and 2 are fine at 121... 3 is 60 and 4 is ZERO

Uggg... i did something wrong im gathering. Time to recheck valve clearances I guess.

More
02 Aug 2012 17:01 #540298 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Yes Im a total newb
Check valve clearances, you my just have one valve that is too tight and not closing all the way. Also, regarding the carb hookups, if your carbs are like mine there will be overflow nipples on the bottom. They should each have a separate drain tube connected to them that runs down between the back of the engine and the swingarm and hangs down toward the ground so any overflow fuel will drip on the ground. The fuel inlet is an upward facing "T" between the #2 and #3 carbs and that should connect to the petcock outlet. There should be a brass nipple on the upper left side of carbs #2 & #4. These are vents and should each have a tube that runs from them up and toward the back of the bike and end in open air (mine happen to end in the air cleaner tube, but that is not a necessity). If your bike has a vacuum operated petcock there may be another port at the #2 carb; a tube will run from this to the petcock vacuum nipple to provide the necessary vacuum to operate the petcock. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thejij

• thejij
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 Spectre N1
More
07 Aug 2012 18:44 #541229 by thejij
Got some new shims(used) and installed them today, bike starts and runs fine again ... woohoo

Now just gotta figure out why i hear exhaust leak, i put new exhaust rings in, not sure.. and it smokes like a bugger after about a minute of running...

• thejij
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 Spectre N1
More
07 Aug 2012 20:50 #541256 by thejij
Reseated the exhaust and it seems to have helped, I don't see smoke anymore

I was playing with the idle adjustme t screw and now I can't start the bike anymore...I wonder what I messed up. Is there anything I can do to find out ? It doesn't even respond to throttle anymore so I'm not sure what it could be ....