had floats set and benched sinicized

More
20 Jul 2012 04:14 #537228 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic had floats set and benched sinicized
Float height most definitely influence overall mixture.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2012 04:18 - 20 Jul 2012 04:31 #537231 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic had floats set and benched sinicized
You are right, I only had half the info haha

(source) www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

Low end (full throttle / 2k-3k)

Float height (AKA fuel level & how to..)
To get best low-end power, set float height (fuel level) so that the engine will accept full throttle, without missing or stumbling, in 2nd gear from 2.5k to 3k rpm at minimum.
Float heights, unless otherwise specified in the installation guide, are measured from the "gasket surface" of the carb body to the highest part of the top of the float - with the float tang touching but not compressing the float valve spring.
If the engine has a "wet" rhythmic, soggy area at full throttle / 3k-4k rpm, that gets worse as the engine heats up, lower the fuel level by resetting the float height 1mm greater (if the original was 13mm - go to 14mm). This will lower the fuel level, making full throttle / 2k-3k rpm leaner.
If the engine is "dry" and flat between 2k to 3k rpm, raise the fuel level.
Example: change float height from 15mm to 14mm to richen up that area.

REMEMBER, since the main jet WILL affect low speed operation, the MAIN JET has to be within 1 or 2 sizes of correct before final float setting.
Warning: If the engine is left with the fuel level too high,, the engine may foul plugs on the street and will be "soft" and boggy at part throttle operation. Adjust Floats to raise/ lower the Fuel Level.
Base settings are usually given if a particular application has a history of fuel level criticalness. The Fuel level height in the float bowl affects full throttle/low rpm and, also, richness or leanness at cruise/low rpm.
Reference: a bike that runs cleanly at small throttle openings when cold, but starts to show signs of richness as it heats up to full operating temperature, will usually be leaned out enough to be correct if the fuel level is LOWERED 1mm. Check out and RESET all: Suzuki (all), Yamaha (all) and Kawasaki (if low speed problems occur). Needless to say, FUEL LEVEL IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!
If there are low-end richness problems, even after lowering the fuel level much more than 1.5mm from our initial settings, check for needle wear and needle jet (part of the emulsion tube). See Worn Needle and Worn Needle Jet diagram. It is VERY common for the brass needle jets (in the top of the "emulsion tube") in 36mm, 38mm and 40mm Mikuni CV carbs to wear out in as little as 5,000 miles. Check them for "oblong" wear - the needle jet orifice starts out round! Factory Pro produces stock replacement needle jets / emulsion tubes for 36mm and 38mm Mikuni carbs. Click here

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 04:31 by peavylotus.

More
20 Jul 2012 16:08 - 20 Jul 2012 16:12 #537315 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic had floats set and benched sinicized

peavylotus wrote: Popping is rich.

popping is from lean mix

Back in the day, I would turn off the petcock when I turned onto my street and cruise home on the gas in the bowl and by the time I got home the engine was popping. I did it to have emptier bowls when I parked it and minimize overflow waste when my petcock was not sealing well.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 16:12 by bountyhunter.

More
20 Jul 2012 16:35 #537322 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic had floats set and benched sinicized
I've noticed too if I make adjustements to my floats that it changed my carb synch. Your drip on #3 could be needle/seat/float, but it also could be a leaking bowl drain.

One thing I always liked to do is take a qtip, put some metal polish (mothers, etc), put it in my drill and polish up the seat where the needle makes contact. My 80 750 had pressed in seats, and one was boogered up and never sealed. Did this and it was good for years.