**FIXED** 1981 Kz750E wont start after an accident

More
11 Jul 2012 20:43 #535333 by Koki
Replied by Koki on topic 1981 Kz750E wont start after an accident
I replaced literally everything I could, still no luck. It's still just cranking but not catching and firing up. Could it possibly be the fuel pump? Where would that be?

1981 Kz750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2012 22:56 #535357 by jimmykznoob
Replied by jimmykznoob on topic 1981 Kz750E wont start after an accident
I had a problem after an accident, mine was the bolt on the cranksaft bent. cause the timing to be messed up did you check the IC ignighter/ points for damage its under the cover on the rigth side.

James
1982 KZ 750 LTD H3
V & H 4 in 1
Air pods
Dynajet III

More
11 Jul 2012 22:58 #535358 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1981 Kz750E wont start after an accident

Motor Head wrote:

Patton wrote:

Koki wrote: Update:
I sprayed starter fluid into the holes(cylinders) where the spark plugs sit and got a response from that. The engine fired and idled for about 3 seconds, then died(I couldn't rev my engine during the idle).

This indicates a failure (for whatever reason) of fuel mixture reaching the combustion chamber.
The step-by-step method --
Is there sufficient gasoline in the fuel tank?
Does gasoline flow through the petcock when set in PRI position?
Is gasoline flowing through the fuel line and through the in-line filter?
Is gasoline flowing through the float valves into the carb float bowls?

With gasoline in the fuel tank, and the petcock set in PRI position, and choke ON, and not touching the throttle grip, ignition switch ON, On-off switch in RUN position, try again to start the engine.
Good Fortune! :)

Patton's right here, I'll add to check the fuel down to the bowls by opening the drain screws, this should make fuel come out the drain tubes, with petcock on "Prime"

There's no fuel pump.

Gasoline is supposed to gravity feed from inside the fuel tank to inside the float bowls.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jul 2012 23:22 #535365 by Koki
In response to the fuel stuff, I've checked all of that and it all works properly.
I'll check out the crankshaft thing tomorrow in the daylight though, thanks. Any more suggestions would be great!

Thanks again:]

1981 Kz750E

More
11 Jul 2012 23:58 - 12 Jul 2012 00:00 #535373 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic 1981 Kz750E wont start after an accident

Koki wrote: Yeah I started cleaning out my carbs yesterday. I found that one of them was pretty gunked up and had some green stuff around the jets, but I did my best to clean it up. Hopefully this'll be the last things I have to take apart...

Koki, it still sounds like you have issues with your fuel delivery or the carbs themselves as has been suggested by others. Is fuel coming out of each drain plug? From what you describe above, it doesn't sound like you have cleaned out your tank and added a gravity type inline fuel filter. This is very important. If you successfully properly cleaned the carbs, they would just get dirty again and not function properly unless you did the tank and filter. But you didn't sound sure that you cleaned the carburetors properly. Patton has diagram on how to properly clean the pilot circuit. If you can spray 2 or 3 shots of starter fluid down each of the carburetor bores (not through the filter) and it starts for a few seconds (hold the throttle at least 1/3 open when you do), then I would say it has to be a fuel problem. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 12 Jul 2012 00:00 by KZJOE900.

More
15 Jul 2012 16:43 #536116 by Koki

KZJOE900 wrote:

Koki wrote: Yeah I started cleaning out my carbs yesterday. I found that one of them was pretty gunked up and had some green stuff around the jets, but I did my best to clean it up. Hopefully this'll be the last things I have to take apart...

Koki, it still sounds like you have issues with your fuel delivery or the carbs themselves as has been suggested by others. Is fuel coming out of each drain plug? From what you describe above, it doesn't sound like you have cleaned out your tank and added a gravity type inline fuel filter. This is very important. If you successfully properly cleaned the carbs, they would just get dirty again and not function properly unless you did the tank and filter. But you didn't sound sure that you cleaned the carburetors properly. Patton has diagram on how to properly clean the pilot circuit. If you can spray 2 or 3 shots of starter fluid down each of the carburetor bores (not through the filter) and it starts for a few seconds (hold the throttle at least 1/3 open when you do), then I would say it has to be a fuel problem. Good luck.

I agree that it's a fuel problem because I know fuel is getting to the carb bowls but it's not getting to the engine itself. Is there anything I should look to in order to fix that?

1981 Kz750E

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Jul 2012 18:08 #536134 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1981 Kz750E wont start after an accident
Please detail, How you know the Fuel is getting to the Bowls. You sound as though your carbs are still clogged up, probably need to go back into them. Is the tank, and petcock clean?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 Jul 2012 18:12 - 15 Jul 2012 18:17 #536137 by KZJOE900
Hi Koki, here is a link of from patton on cleaning the pilot jet circut : Cleaning pilot circuit.

You should also check/set the height of the floats to make sure you are getting proper fuel delivery to the jets. Here is another posting on how to check using this method: Clear tube float check / setting.

After you're completed these, make sure you have a gravity fuel inline filter to avoid debris from making it to the carbs. Make sure you mount the carburetors properly seat in the boots to avoid any issues. If you have a vacuum petcock set it on prime for this initial start. Adjust your air/fuel mixture screws as per manual and hopefully she will fire up for you to be able fine tune it from there. Good luck.

76 KZ900
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 15 Jul 2012 18:17 by KZJOE900.

More
15 Jul 2012 18:26 #536141 by Koki
I've checked the tubes and filter and they're all fine. The carb bowls fill up properly but I think there's no air that's taking the mixture from the carbs to the engine, which is what's hindering the starting of the engine.
I replaced the boots because one was cooked and messed up, my petcock only has "on" "off" and "reserve" settings. I will look into the detailed carb pilot cleaning you posted though, thank you for that.

1981 Kz750E

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Jul 2012 18:32 - 15 Jul 2012 18:56 #536145 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1981 Kz750E wont start after an accident

Koki wrote: I've checked the tubes and filter and they're all fine. The carb bowls fill up properly but I think there's no air that's taking the mixture from the carbs to the engine, which is what's hindering the starting of the engine.
I replaced the boots because one was cooked and messed up, my petcock only has "on" "off" and "reserve" settings. I will look into the detailed carb pilot cleaning you posted though, thank you for that.

No Air taking the Fuel into the Engine? You crashed the bike, it seems strange but no air pulling the fuel would have to be compression. Have you checked the compression? What about at the Mouth/ intake of the carbs, is there any blockage of the Air Jets? Are there Air Box Boots hooked up to the carbs, or Air Filters?
Did you open the Drain Screws and see fuel flow out with the Petcock ON?
If going into the carbs again, clean all the circuits. Be sure to get the Starter Jet/ enrichment circuit, pilot, and the small transition circuits really clean.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 15 Jul 2012 18:56 by Motor Head.

More
18 Jul 2012 20:48 #536879 by Koki
If I have my carbs off my bike, should air come out of the boots that are connected to the air filter?

1981 Kz750E

More
18 Jul 2012 23:36 #536928 by KZJOE900

Koki wrote: If I have my carbs off my bike, should air come out of the boots that are connected to the air filter?

Sorry Koki, but I'm completely lost by your question. Could you explain in more detail? If you can post a picture to show what you mean that would help.

76 KZ900
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450