Engine over heating

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Jul 2012 11:15 #533036 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine over heating
This is from my Factory Manual, but for the 81-up 1000 with the Hi-Vo chain. so it might differ on pin count do to the larger engine. But it shows where the pin should be aligned with the EX cam mark at the start, then the pin count over to the IN cam.

What Manual are you using, Factory or something else?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2012 11:26 #533038 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine over heating

green wrote: I have the idle at 1050-1100 put a timing gun on it, it shows F mark.

Yes, F mark for ignition timing, and T mark for cam timing.

With timing light, should be able to see the advancer rapidly move back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping the throttle.
If the advancer fails to rapidly move back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping the throttle, the advancer is likely frozen due to rust or damage such as possibly a broken spring or whatever.

It may aid diagnosis to identify exactly which cylinder(s) is/are overheating.

An infra-red thermometer could be used on the header pipes to determine which of the cylinders is over-heating.
www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

Or if cold engine is started in the dark, and observed while warming, an exhaust header might glow from barely noticeable to cherry red.
But stock double-walled header pipes are less prone to visible evidence of overheating.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jul 2012 11:31 #533042 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine over heating
May find some help in the downloadable shop manual available at
kz.bike-night.com/

Scroll down the "The Bible."

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jul 2012 13:48 #533080 by green
Replied by green on topic Engine over heating
FIXED, fuel problem. Thank you everyone for your help! Just went on a ride, works great! Yahhhhhh!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Jul 2012 13:53 #533085 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine over heating
What was your Fuel Problem? Please. Might help out another with a similar issue.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Jul 2012 14:10 #533092 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Engine over heating

baldy110 wrote: Anytime you hole a piston you need to to tear the engine apart to make sure nothing from the melted piston got into the case which it probably did. I have melted a few piston in my day and all of them ended up with metal in the case.

x2

Larry C.

More
01 Jul 2012 18:50 #533168 by green
Replied by green on topic Engine over heating

Attachment 004.JPG not found

I cleaned the carbs out thay had alot of gunk in them, also added some Sea Foam, It runs great now.
Attachments: