Weird cam chain like noise? Need help!

More
22 Jun 2012 16:54 #531046 by willg
Replied by willg on topic Weird cam chain like noise? Need help!
I'm having the same problem on my B3 except after reinstalling the tensioner, the bike won't start. Hope you get it figured out and can post some results on that APE tensioner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AaronOregon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live Hard, Ride Free
More
22 Jun 2012 18:42 #531069 by AaronOregon
Replied by AaronOregon on topic Weird cam chain like noise? Need help!
The manual chain adjuster worked like a champ. Cam chain noise is gone, just not use to the clattering valvetrain which is a totally separate post!

Aaron

1980 KZ750E - Pods - 4 into 1

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
22 Jun 2012 23:06 - 22 Jun 2012 23:13 #531117 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Weird cam chain like noise? Need help!
Aaron, the symptoms sound *exactly* like the problem I had with my 1981 kz550 (standard model).

DiamondSkyBlue1000 already alluded to this above, just thought I'd tell you how the same problem on my kz550 got solved.

I notice that after you did the manual cam chain tensioner install, and maybe I read too much into it but you said "...just not use to the clattering valvetrain which is a totally separate post!"
so it sounded to me like you're still getting noise there.

My '81 kz550 made a heck of a mechanical racket at idle. But it sounded fine when running through the gears. Drove me crazy, I'm at a stop light, it's making so much noise, people next to me at stop lights had this look on their faces "ahh, poor guy, can only afford an old bike with a blown engine" the rattling was LOUD.

I thought 'cam chain' but it wasn't that.

My carbs were WAY out of sync. And it was in fact a chain that was making all that noise -- I knew it sound like a chain-sort of noise, embarrassing me at those stop lights.

It was the PRIMARY chain.

At idle, one of my carbs (#3) was open more than the others I later found out.

So at idle, when #3 cylinder fired, it fired with more power than the other pistons due to the extra gas flow (the #3 carb's throttle slide was open too far at zero throttle position).

So the crankshaft sped up a bit when #3 fired, then slowed down when the other cylinders fired, then sped up when #3 fired, etc.

And the primary chain being connected to the crank was also speeding up/slowing down/speeding up/slow down due to the #3 throttle slide being open too much at idle and the other carbs were flowing less gas since their throttle slides were not open as much at idle as #3 (aka 'out of sync' condition).

The chain noise coming from the engine was due to the primary chain going taut for #3 then going slack then going taut for #3 etc. like CLANG-CLANG-CLANG-CLANG-CLANG.

I pulled the carbs. #3 sync was WAY out. The other 3 carbs were less wrong but they were not matched -- each carb has a different amount of slide opening.

I set all 4 carb syncs to the same.

NO MORE PRIMARY CHAIN NOISE.

At stop lights I didn't have to keep it revving anymore to keep the people in their cars quiet.
'I think your engine's about to blow up' gott dang it. I put a stop to that.

Carb sync.

If you still have noise, do what DiamondSkyBlue1000 recommended -- check the carb sync.

The taut/loose/taut/loose primary chain action makes sense now, but at the time, I was amazed how much noise that primary chain could make just because the carbs were out of sync.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 22 Jun 2012 23:13 by newOld_kz1000.

• AaronOregon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live Hard, Ride Free
More
23 Jun 2012 00:27 #531146 by AaronOregon
Replied by AaronOregon on topic Weird cam chain like noise? Need help!
Thanks for the time to post this. This was brought up in the other post. I just did the carbs sync last month, but will re-check them this weekend. I bought gauges for this last month when done.

Aaron

1980 KZ750E - Pods - 4 into 1