Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 14:52 #52305

• geerbangr
  • geerbangr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey guys,I have a 85 ltd 1100, I sent the motor to FBG last spring and that's when all my troubles began. After getting the engine back last fall from rebuild i reassembled the bike,we had a few nice days on and off till this spring so i rode it a little bit,bike seemed to do ok.I now have about a 1000 miles on the new bullet and this thing is leaking oil so bad i'm ready to go buy a harley, they leak less.Before anyone asks i retorqued the bolts after a couple rides so that's not the problem,i tryed to call FBG back all last week and today only to get the run around bullsh_t,i spent 7 grand on this engine a little help would be nice,but i'm done with those folks.After i got the bike back to my shop and wiped the oil off i discovered the gen cover,the rocker cover,and the clutch cover all have torn spots in them where they were sucked back in the engine.Never seen anything like this before any of you guys have any ideas ??? I checked the crankcase vent on the engine it is free flowing.I spin the motor to 11 grand before i shift if that means anything for diagnosis.Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I still have stock parts for sale or trade off this bike
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 15:45 #52320

• Werewolfx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
11 grand? jeeze..when I REALLY wank mine I go up to about 8500-9k tops..I dunno what the redline is on an 1100, or what work you had done, but redline on my 550 starts at 9500. Normal shifting at about 4k.
Chris

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 15:52 #52324

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Werewolfx wrote:

11 grand? jeeze....

I was gonna say....

"Maybe, but they never admitted to it.":whistle:

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 15:53 #52325

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The 11K got my attention too; so did the 7K ($$). So who is this "FBG"?

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 16:46 #52336

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35

Any help would be appreciated

Swap you a kz1000P5 engine with fresh 1mm over pistons and rings for it. No oil leaks ;-)

What's your vent connected to?

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 18:04 #52371

• geerbangr
  • User
FBG is Fast By Gast ,they're outta new york,paul built the engines for my triple i used to drag race,so i took him the j block and told him to make me a hot street engine,hell this monster is jus starting to breath at 5 grand,i got a hell of a sleeper if i can ever get the thing to quit leakin oil.The vent isn'nt connected to anything,i had to do away w/ the stock airbox when i installed the new mikunis so paul said to just hook a vent up to the nipple coming out of the backside of the block.

Post edited by: geerbangr, at: 2006/06/05 21:10
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 18:35 #52378

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
geerbangr wrote:

FBG is Fast By Gast ,they're outta new york,paul built the engines for my triple i used to drag race,so i took him the j block and told him to make me a hot street engine,hell this monster is jus starting to breath at 5 grand,i got a hell of a sleeper if i can ever get the thing to quit leakin oil.

So. She's running fine? Not too lean on one or two cylinders?

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 18:42 #52379

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
geerbangr wrote:
[quote.The vent isn'nt connected to anything,i had to do away w/ the stock airbox when i installed the new mikunis so paul said to just hook a vent up to the nipple coming out of the backside of the block.<br><br>Post edited by: geerbangr, at: 2006/06/05 21:10[/quote]

Ah Ha!
What have you got connected to the 'nipple'? If you've got a piece of hose or tubing, suggest replacing with something that won't collapse when it's sucked on.

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 19:18 #52390

• geerbangr
  • User
No the bike does'nt run lean on 2 cyls.,gotta tune the mikunis to prevent that,the only thing i have on the bike for a breather is an aftermaket breather,it's about as round as a 50 cent piece and it is clamped directly to the nipple under the carbs
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 19:21 #52391

• geerbangr
  • User
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the crankcase build pressure not create vacuum??
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 19:36 #52394

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
geerbangr wrote:

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the crankcase build pressure not create vacuum??

By Jove, you have a point there. And if it ain't makin' pressure at 11 grand, it never will...:whistle:

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 19:42 #52396

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
geerbangr wrote:

After i got the bike back to my shop and wiped the oil off i discovered the gen cover,the rocker cover,and the clutch cover all have torn spots in them where they were sucked back in the engine.Never seen anything like this before any of you guys have any ideas ???

You didn't mention what kind of "break in" and I use the term here sparingly, you did, and where all this oil was coming from. Multiple spots, it seems.

The odd circumstances with with your gaskets have me hangin' as well. Where exactly did you find them - near the "tears", down in the pan. floating free? Hard to guess what might have happened without some more details...