Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 19:58 #52403

• geerbangr
  • geerbangr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
PT ,I put about 100 miles on it,stop and go,no high rpms,just as paul instructed,changed the oil then commenced to poundin the piss out of her.:woohoo:
the gen cover tore on the top side right in front of the starter drive gear,the clutch cover tore on the bottom side by the pan,the valve cover is leaking on both sides of the bike where the little flat spots on the outer most corners of the rocker cover are .
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 20:34 #52418

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
geerbangr wrote:

PT ,I put about 100 miles on it,stop and go,no high rpms,just as paul instructed,changed the oil then commenced to poundin the piss out of her.:woohoo:

Well, you get my vote for *The Bent Golden Hammer Award* on that one...

...the gen cover tore on the top side right in front of the starter drive gear,the clutch cover tore on the bottom side by the pan,the valve cover is leaking on both sides of the bike where the little flat spots on the outer most corners of the rocker cover are .

"Tore". I just don't get "tore." Blown maybe. Maybe definitely. But "tore"? The only torn gaskets I've ever seen were done before installation, usually by guys that looked suspiciously like Uncle Fester. Are you sure you don't mean "blown", as in from the inside ---> out?

That would make more sense, and it would jibe with the pressure leaks around the cam end plugs - the "flat spot" you're refering to. A little seepage there is not unusual, and at 11 grand, I'd expect those cam plugs to look like I did on prom night - *spewing* like a fire hose....:sick:

What weight oil were you running in this beast?
Attachments:

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 20:48 #52428

• geerbangr
  • User
PT ,the gaskets are tore like they were trying to be sucked inside the engine,the are not blown like i would expect from extreme crankcase pressure,that's how i found the leaks after i wiped all the oil off so i could see where the hell it was leaking from,it looked like part of the gasket was missing so i pulled the gen cover and that's when i determined the engine was trying to suck them through. I run castrol 10w30 in this bike.I haven't pulled the rocker cover yet but the end caps look the same as the gen cover,like that part of the gasket is missing.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 21:09 #52433

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
geerbangr wrote:

... i pulled the gen cover and that's when i determined the engine was trying to suck them through.

First thing I'd do is check the timing cover - make sure it doesn't say *HOOVER* instead of "DOHC". ;)

I run castrol 10w30 in this bike.I haven't pulled the rocker cover yet but the end caps look the same as the gen cover,like that part of the gasket is missing.

;)

10w40 or 20w50 is spec for that motor, if I recall. The lighter oil would make it a tad easier for seepage to occur. I'm not sure of the psi output of the oil pump for the 1100 motor is, but the words "extreme" and "pressure" ain't used too often in the same sentence with Kaw J or K model motors...(...but if somebody's fouund an upper limit, my money's on you...)

Question: Have you *found* pieces of gasket inside the motor?

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 21:17 #52440

• wireman
  • Visitor
geerbangr wrote:

Hey guys,I have a 85 ltd 1100, I sent the motor to FBG last spring and that's when all my troubles began. After getting the engine back last fall from rebuild i reassembled the bike,we had a few nice days on and off till this spring so i rode it a little bit,bike seemed to do ok.I now have about a 1000 miles on the new bullet and this thing is leaking oil so bad i'm ready to go buy a harley, they leak less.Before anyone asks i retorqued the bolts after a couple rides so that's not the problem,i tryed to call FBG back all last week and today only to get the run around bullsh_t,i spent 7 grand on this engine a little help would be nice,but i'm done with those folks.After i got the bike back to my shop and wiped the oil off i discovered the gen cover,the rocker cover,and the clutch cover all have torn spots in them where they were sucked back in the engine.Never seen anything like this before any of you guys have any ideas ??? I checked the crankcase vent on the engine it is free flowing.I spin the motor to 11 grand before i shift if that means anything for diagnosis.Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I still have stock parts for sale or trade off this bike

7 grand in the engine:blink: damn!im never seen a streetable bigbore motor that would make power that high up the food chain 11,000 rpms,you can wind em that tight but they usually stop making power long before that point.:evil: if the motor is sucking the gaskets in that tells me you are creating negative pressure inside motor which means it is venting.could it just be some junk gaskets they got ahold of when assembling motor?

anyone ever had this problem???? 05 Jun 2006 21:38 #52446

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
wireman wrote:

...if the motor is sucking the gaskets in that tells me you are creating negative pressure inside motor which means it is venting.could it just be some junk gaskets they got ahold of when assembling motor?

I've just been looking over the breather - filter - oil pump - pan drawings for that motor, and I get the negative pressure idea wanked up like that, but from the looks of it, if it's creating enough suck to get those tennis ball gaskets through the garden hose mating surfaces, that breather should be spouting oil like Jed Clampett's orchard. :blink:

anyone ever had this problem???? 06 Jun 2006 05:45 #52483

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Suddenly at 11,000 rpm's my nads were sucked into carbs 1 & 4. This instituted a safety shutdown of the main reactor and the cooling towers were retracted. The resulting time fold placed me exactly at 1974 where upon I went to the local Kawasaki dealer and plunked down a large wad of copymachine cash on a new Z1.

Remarkably my mirrors remained unblurred throughout the ordeal and I could see PT on his Police Special with the persuit lights cycling the whole time. This time he only gave me a warning.....watch out where the Huskies go an don't you eat that yellow snow.

geerbangr: YOU DROPPED HOW MUCH ON THAT MILL? Is this a street bike? Would you like to meet my 3rd ex? She'd love to meet you! Good luck with the bike. If it can be figured out this crew here should do it!

anyone ever had this problem???? 06 Jun 2006 06:03 #52487

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
ambergrismooon wrote:

Suddenly at 11,000 rpm's my nads were sucked into carbs 1 & 4. ....!

dOOd! Where were you when I was trying to explain those deductions to the IRS?

(...looking down the *Time Tunnel* / carb vent for those missing 'nads...) :blink:

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/06/06 09:12
Attachments:

anyone ever had this problem???? 07 Jun 2006 14:58 #52680

• geerbangr
  • User
Hey fellas,I invested 7 g's in this mill,yes,it is a street pounder,1262 kit,425 web cams,extensive head work,bottom end rebuild,new 36mm mikunis rs,dynatek ignition,empty 4 into header,and ummmm this mill is makin power up to 11 large,did i forget to say you gotta have a bucket full of balls to hang on to this ride??? You guys should see the look on these snot nose crotch rocket riders when my old shafty is dancing by them on the rear hide thru 3rd gear,pretty funny!!! I don't know wtf the problem is w/ this bike i'm gonna regasket what needs replaced filler up w/ some more castrol and go ringer bag a lil more,if any of you guys come to a conclusion on this problem hollar at me please,i'll keep you guys posted on how the bike does,i live an hour west of pittsburgh pa,in the buckeye state may i ad,if any of you guys live near hollar when i get this old shafty back on track we'll take a ride.Also i have not found any gasket pieces inside the engine,the gaskets were tore and being sucked inside the engine,no loose pieces thou.

Post edited by: geerbangr, at: 2006/06/07 18:10
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

anyone ever had this problem???? 07 Jun 2006 16:53 #52714

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
That pretty much has to be an installation problem, no way that motor is going to develope enough (or any for that matter) negative pressure to do that. Well, that is unless you stuck a vacume pump on it anyway :)

That vent is there to allow the pressure caused by blow by to escape, not to allow air in :)
KD9JUR

anyone ever had this problem???? 07 Jun 2006 17:19 #52716

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
since you are putting in new gaskets, maybe a set of aluminum cam end plugs might help a little too?, APE has nice looking ones
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

anyone ever had this problem???? 07 Jun 2006 17:31 #52724

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
it can do both but vacuum is not a common problem
AFAIK you pretty much need a leak between the combustion chamber and the crankcase that only happens on the intake stroke.
Can't think of any other way to get it.

I suspect that the gaskets were mangled when the thing was assembled. Hence my offer to swap the P5 motor with new pistons and rings for it...11K... if it ain't broke, it's probably still OK ;-)