• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 May 2012 20:26 #519864 by ShouterVW
Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead was created by ShouterVW
Bike: 1981 KZ650CSR
Mileage: 20K
Compression: Checks all across the board
Carbs have been cleaned and bench synced (redone so I can adjust idle)

So I got my bike running, and it fires right up, but Cyl. 2 is dead, always cold to luke warm on the header. There is spark there when I test it (could be intermittent once running?) This probably explains my doggy low rpm. It also Idles high even with the idle turned down as far as it goes.
I don't know where to start to diagnose the dead no. 2 Cyl. Either fuel or ignition. Any ideas? Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2012 20:47 #519868 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
I had a simialr problem on my '78 650, #2 was not firing at low rpms, idle was week, but once I got up to speed, she ran better.
What happened in my case was the diaphragm in the fuel valve was torn, letting gas leek into the vacuum hose which connects to carb #2.
Carb #2 would flood at low rpms, but once I opened the throttle further, letting in more air, #2 would kick in.
I replaced the fuel valve.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
04 May 2012 21:41 #519876 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
To confirm a dead cylinder/cold exhaust pipe, use a spray bottle of water instead of your hand. The water will flash to steam(212 F) if the cylinder is firing. If the water runs off, start checking what the problems: 1.Compression,Fuel,Spark,or Air(dirty air filter. If any of the 4 are missing, the engine will not run.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 May 2012 23:44 - 04 May 2012 23:45 #519901 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
Would perform the clear tube test to assure that the fuel level is within specs on the carb that's feeding the non-firing cylinder.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 May 2012 23:45 by Patton.

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 May 2012 01:14 #519920 by ShouterVW
Replied by ShouterVW on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
After a 5 minute ride, I can hold my hand on the header on #2, 100% sure its dead if thats happening. I have full compression in all cyl.'s, Spark is good, and the air filter has seen its better days, but is still clean. I will check the fuel to see if its good in #2 carb with the clear tube test as mention by Patton. Hopefully it shines some light on this problem.

More
05 May 2012 09:17 #519943 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
I suspect the carb too. But as a test, you may want to swap the spark plugs between 2 & 3 and hook the # 2 lead from the coil to #3 and the #3 lead from the coil to #2. If cylinder 2 is still cold and cyl. 3 hot after running the engine you can definitely rule out anything related to the ignition.

One other thought; have you checked your valve clearances? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 May 2012 10:50 - 05 May 2012 10:51 #519957 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
Check for a split/leaking or badly seated intake boot on that cylinder.
This will cause the high idle and reluctance to fire fully on that cylinder as it will be drawing in mostly air and not a full fuel mixture.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 05 May 2012 10:51 by zed1015.

More
05 May 2012 16:53 #520010 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
One other thought - does your carb set use an accelerator pump? If so, you may want to read through this thread (link below); both bikes had cyl #2 not working but they found a fix. Ed

forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=7557.0

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 May 2012 17:26 - 05 May 2012 17:28 #520017 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
Would pull #2 spark plug immediately after shutting off the engine, and see whether it's wet or dry.

Tip: Avoid burning fingers by grasping the hot plug with a snugly fitted short section of rubber hose.

Dry could indicate a carb issue (absence of fuel mixture in the combustion chamber)

Wet could indicate a carb (mixture too rich) or an ignition issue (weak spark).

Let us know. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 05 May 2012 17:28 by Patton.

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2013 16:57 #577539 by ShouterVW
Very late reply, but the plug is dry and I am certain it is a #2 carb problem. It has a new accelerator pump rebuild kit in it and I can visually see the pump spraying fuel on the bench, so that rules that out. Now, I think my air screw passages are blocked. I can completely remove the air screw while the engine is running, and it makes no changes. I can make #2 run very briefly by screwing in the air screw, and then unscrewing it slightly. It will rev up for a second then die back down.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
18 Mar 2013 18:02 - 18 Mar 2013 18:03 #577554 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Bike Runs, but Cyl. 2 seems dead
Three very fast and easy things to check.

1) put a shiny new spark plug into #2 -- don't re-use an old plug, we want to start with a shiny metal appearance so we can tell if it's burning something, you cannot do that with an already-used plug. Use a new plug here.

2) put the new plug into the spark plug cap and lay it against the cylinder, turn on the ignition, crank the engine over and see if you have a spark on the #2 plug. I suspect you will see okay spark there.

3) start the bike (with the air screw in a normal position, like 1 1/2 to 2 turns out or so)
let it run for a couple minutes, blip the throttle to draw some gas into the carbs (vacuum line
on the petcock only lets gas go to the carbs when engine is running)

4) shut off the bike and immediately loosen the drain plug and verify the #2 carb bowl has gas in it at all. This is just a quick 'sanity check' to see yes/no is that carb getting gas.

5) and pull that shiny new #2 plug and see if it's still shiny.

#4 and #5 above, all those will confirm is that you have gas getting to the #2 carb and whether or not the #2 spark plug is trying to burn fuel (getting brown). I'm guessing this: the spark plug still looks shiny and brand new, ie. not burning much of anything.

When you screwed in your air screw pretty far and it sounded better, that tells you you're getting too much air in the #2 carb fuel/air mixture and/or not enough gas in the float bowl.

SO TRY THIS.

With the air screw in a normal position, start the bike and *turn on the choke* and if #2 cylinder runs, that confirms you have too much air that is running #2 too lean because the choke when it's on decreases air flow and thus makes the fuel/air mixture more rich with gas.

I don't have my 650SR in front of me so I don't remember, but some carbs have 2 gas lines from the petcock to the carbs -- one fuel line goes to a 'T' in between the #1 and #2 carbs that feeds those 2, and the other fuel line goes to a 'T' between #3 and #4 carbs to supply those 2.

If you do not have an air leak, and you do have two fuel lines from the petcock, it almost sounds like the fuel supply to #2 carb is blocked.

If you *do* find gas in #2, then use the clear plastic tube technique to see if the fuel LEVEL in the float bowl is correct.

I suspect when you turn on the choke the #2 cylinder will fire -- if it doesn't, then you must not be getting gas into the #2 carb. Check the 'T' and the fuel line for that carb.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 18:03 by newOld_kz1000.

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2013 21:23 #577600 by ShouterVW
Since it is absolutely freezing out (had yet another blizzard today), I decided to take the carbs off and carefully go through them once again. I have an ultrasonic cleaner at work, and I will clean the carb bodies ultrasonically this time. Should make them like new right? I really hope to get this thing going come riding season!