81 GPZ 550 oil leak behind front sproket...maybe

More
24 May 2012 02:50 #524439 by dfinnegan71
Replied by dfinnegan71 on topic 81 GPZ 550 oil leak behind front sproket...maybe
Thanks for help fellas. Got the new seal in and took it for about a 25 mile ride, turns out all the mess I am finding everywhere is a leaky left rear shock. I drips on the chain and fling!
Anyway I have another issue. My engine starts up great idels fine but after 20 minuets or so of riding it wants to stall out. It runs like a champ as long as I am giving it gas, but come up on a red light and it wants to stall. Again, only after its been running for more than 15-20 minuets. Any ideas?

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2012 03:26 - 24 May 2012 03:26 #524443 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic 81 GPZ 550 oil leak behind front sproket...maybe
give yourself a slap on your hand

suggest you start a new thread on the idling thing if you want any help

are your carbs synched? if not, that the first thing you should do.
Last edit: 24 May 2012 03:26 by turboguzzi.

More
24 May 2012 10:25 #524494 by Patton

dfinnegan71 wrote: ...have another issue. My engine starts up great idels fine but after 20 minuets or so of riding it wants to stall out. It runs like a champ as long as I am giving it gas, but come up on a red light and it wants to stall. Again, only after its been running for more than 15-20 minuets....

Reported symptoms may result from too tight valves.
Checked valve clearances lately?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 May 2012 20:30 #525736 by dfinnegan71
Replied by dfinnegan71 on topic 81 GPZ 550 oil leak behind front sproket...maybe
Good idea Patton, I have a new gasket set going in and while I have it apart I will check the clearences. Not sure how but I will read up on it. This has been a learning experience to say the least. I am thinking a new set of rings might not be a bad idea. Do you know if an OEM "set" has all 12 rings or is one set for 1 piston?
Thanks in advance.

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

More
04 Jun 2012 19:42 #526880 by dfinnegan71
So many leaky gaskets on this badboy, it's all torn down now and new gaskets are going on. It leaked out the tach seal, fixed. Leaked out the base gasket, new one installed hopefully fixed. The cylinder head gasket leaked, new one installed hopefully fixed. Shift shaft seal replaced and that leak is hopefully fixed. The gasket behind the transmission cover leaked that has been replaced, hopefully fixed. Just the shock needs to be replaced and I should have a leak free motorcycle! And I say hopefully because I haven't buttoned it up yet and fired er up. And when I say leak, it was more of a weep. I just hope i did it all correct and haven't made it worse!

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom