why no compression

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Mar 2012 23:20 #510950 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic why no compression

TorreyJ wrote: I have a manual. It's not super descriptive on where in the 720 degrees that the crank seems to have as part of rotation. apparently there are 2 rotations of the crank that you can land on. I seem to have tried both but still don't have any considerable compression. Anyone know how to basically explain "timing a csr 650 for dummies?" I need a new perspective. no offense but please don't tell me to read the manual...I did. either something is Fubar or I need to look at it from a new angle. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

The crankshaft rotates twice for one rotation of the camshafts. I'm not sure where the 720 comes in, 360, 180, are the numbers.
Anyway if you timed the chain wrong, and cranked the motor with the starter, you may very well have bent the valves. This would make no compression. Hopefully not, but it is easy to do if you are off several teeth.
If all of a sudden your valve clearances are excessive, then your valves are bent.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2012 00:48 #510973 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic why no compression
I know that A motorcycle engine is kinda different then a 5 horse briggs... but you can Bend valves back with a flat head screwdriver on a briggs and stratton :D kinda wouldnt recommend trying it on a bigger engine though.

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.