An odd Rattle...

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's ugly, but it moves!
More
20 Nov 2011 21:35 #489388 by Robwolf
An odd Rattle... was created by Robwolf
Always seems to work this way, fix one thing and the very next day another issue rears its ugly head. So my '79 KZ400H1 started making a little extra racket out of the left cylinder today. This included some movement in the corresponding spark plug. I haven't had the chance to pull anything and look since I just now finished walking it home. Man I never noticed how many hills Florida has until I'm pushing 300+lbs of weight after a long day of work. Anyways, when running the engine feels sluggish like the clutch is slipping, and the rattle/vibration intensifies with higher RPMs. Eventually though the bike acts as though out of gas an slows to a stop, leaving me on the side of the highway cursing the morons who try to run me over (but they do that no matter how fast I'm moving.) The following changes were made prior to this problem rearing up today. 1) New Rectifier/Regulator. 2) New Handlebars. 3) Mirrors... (obviously the reason for this problem!!!) 4) New Ignition Points. I'm just hoping I didn't break a valve or something. Really don't have the money or time to do a tear-down of the engine.

'79 Kz400H1 'cafe' and '94 En500 Vulcan in swampy Florida.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2011 23:17 #489402 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic An odd Rattle...
do a compression check first
that will let you know what is happening

pull all plugs out and wide open throttle when doing test

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robwolf

More
20 Nov 2011 23:23 #489405 by P21
if all is good i see you said clutch is feels like its slipping that would be next
but when clutch rises hell you know it

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Nov 2011 23:34 #489408 by Robwolf
Replied by Robwolf on topic An odd Rattle...
I was thinking it might be the clutch, but the noise is coming from the engine and there is noticeable movement on the plug. I hope the rod didn't break and the damn piston isn't smacking stuff inside.

More
20 Nov 2011 23:45 #489410 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic An odd Rattle...

Robwolf wrote: ... noticeable movement on the plug....

Is the plug broken, or loose, or stripped plug hole threads?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Nov 2011 00:22 #489414 by Robwolf
Ok, plug was loose, however its 10pm and I live in an apartment so I'm not going to fire it up, neighbors might kill me. I'll find out if that was the rattle problem in the morning, could this also cause the lack of power, rev limiting, dying... etc? I guess if the plug isn't grounding well? BTW it isn't broken, was just loose. I guess I forgot to tighten them down well after putting them in a few weeks ago. Almost forgot, there was another issue earlier on in the day. Right as I was heading out from work I noticed the extra noise and felt a bit of a power drain. When I stopped to check on it, I found my tach cable had come loose from its position on the front of the head. There was oil spray all over it an the area in front of it. I tightened it back down and topped off the oil on the way home to make sure this wasn't the cause of my problem.

More
21 Nov 2011 03:41 #489434 by Patton

Robwolf wrote: Ok, plug was loose....

Should not run the engine with a loose spark plug.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Nov 2011 04:35 #489447 by Robwolf
I'm guessing one reason would be, loss of compression through gaps in spark port causes engine to not function quite right. I'll find out in the morning if this solved the initial problem. To bad I broke the clutch cable (or maybe just pulled it out of its proper place) before I made it home, adding another piece to be fixed. Anyone know what size clutch cable I should use with the KZ400 (using clubman bars instead of the LTD ones), I've had too much slack on the cable since I got the bike and its been a constant battle between loose lever and sticky clutch.

More
21 Nov 2011 05:28 #489451 by Patton
Running the engine with a loose spark plug is likely to strip the threads in the plug hole and blow the plug out of the head.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Nov 2011 14:21 #489486 by Robwolf
Well that fixed the problem with the engine rattle. When the clutch works again I'll see if the lack of power also stemmed from this. You've got to love how easy it is to make everything stop working, but just as easily fix. Just wish it didn't always seem like something way worse than what is actually wrong.

More
21 Nov 2011 14:29 #489487 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic An odd Rattle...
You should get into the habit of using a torque wrench when working on your bike, especially on stuff like spark plugs. It's not good to under or over tighten them. Ed ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Nov 2011 14:30 #489488 by P21
on your clutch you have to adjust the screw on the side of push rod for some play (at trans cover)

this picture just only referance www.kz400.com/KZ440MaintainanceFrameset.html