1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build

More
03 Apr 2012 03:09 #513733 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
I find that stuff ends up putting big chunks of material in the oil pan. I suppose it depends on how much sealer gets used, but I always stick with the factory gaskets if I can. If not, then I make the gasket from good fiber material from an auto parts store. The key is to get off all the old gasket material and polish the surfaces with some really fine sandpaper.

On the valve cover I use a super thin layer of antiseize and the gasket comes off llike new every time.

On the trans cover, though, I can't remember what I used... probably some non-hardening sealer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• djplatinum50
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Apr 2012 09:49 #513968 by djplatinum50
Replied by djplatinum50 on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
Wow this bike is turning out to be a nerve wrecking. I got the motor and carbs working great and it rides smooth. I still cant figure out this oil leak, Looks like its coming from what looks like the oil level sensor. I dunno, I think Im a have to do a whole engine tear down and get all new gaskets. My other HUGE head ache is the left fork seal. I have replaced it 3 times and it still leaks. I see no pitting in the tube nor are they bent. Is there a certain way the seals go in, like a certain side down?? I got them from z1 so i figured they are good. Any thoughts?

Im averaging about $150 a month in parts for this thing, starting to feel like that could be toward a newer bike with no problems. :(

1980 Kawasaki KZ550C1 LTD

More
04 Apr 2012 12:54 #514015 by loudhvx
When you replace the fork seal, do you replace the upper bushing?
Part Number 44065-1011 or 44065-1068.
If that wears out, it lets the fork tube move inside the seal too much.

The side with writing on it faces upward so you can read it while installed.

• djplatinum50
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Apr 2012 16:43 #514058 by djplatinum50
wow never thought about that ill see if I can find that part somewhere.
Thanks

More
04 Apr 2012 17:25 #514062 by ldizzle
Replied by ldizzle on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
I just had to replace my oil pressure sensor on my kz750ltd...it was gushing oil though because it has oil pressure...on it.

large sums of oil though- not just a small drip.

Also, the alt bearing o-ring sometimes dries out and will leak oil.

• djplatinum50
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Apr 2012 09:38 #514325 by djplatinum50
Well come to find out the oil is coming from my shifter shaft oil seal. I guess when I put the new in I must have bent it or something. Weird how oil travels, but that is where it is coming from. Got a new one one the way. As far as my fork seal if I put it in upside down would that cause it to leak. I pretty sure its upside down. I will flip it over today and see what happens.

More
06 Apr 2012 12:54 #514383 by loudhvx
It's a good question. I'm not sure what happens if it's upside down. I suppose it matters, but haven't come across one upside down.

I would be ready to order a seal and bushing, just in case.

Similar to the fork seal, the shifter shaft may also be moving too much. See if the shifter shaft has a lot of wobble before removing the cover. On some of the higher mileage covers (Outer cover for the sprocket/chain), the hole for the shifter is worn. It's easily fixed by a small piece of shim material, (something soft like aluminum, maybe brass?). Just look very close at the hole and try to determine which part is worn and put the shim there. The key is to make sure the shifter rotates abolutely freely, but only has minimal side play. Use a little grease too.
Other than the new seal, if required, it shouldn't cost too much. You might get away with a piece of soup can, even. Soda can would probably be too thin.

Good luck.

• djplatinum50
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2012 15:04 #514855 by djplatinum50
another question you may know. That shifter shaft oil seal. does it matter which direction it goes in. When I originally took the old one out seems like the flush side was facing out with the side of the seal with the lip was facing in. Any Thoughts

More
09 Apr 2012 22:15 #514910 by loudhvx
I don't remember what it exactly looks like. Is there writing on one side or the other? If so, it's more likely the writing faces the outside.