1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build

• djplatinum50
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Nov 2011 21:53 #486573 by djplatinum50
1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build was created by djplatinum50
Okay here it goes.My name is Tom and I have to say I love this site. I am building my first bike over the winter months to be ready for riding next season.

She ran okay for a test ride around the neighbor hood, but it was leaking gas out of the drain tube on 2 of the carbs, and I was told the petcock is faulty.
I am going to rebuild the carbs and i want to get rid of the vacuum petcock and just use a manual one. From reading through this forum its just a matter of plugging the vacuum whole in the carb correct?
Here she is after i took the carbs out. and doing an oil change.

Im at a stand still now waiting to get parts but i have a question for the great minds here.
can someone tell me what these tubes are that go from the top of the motor to a metal solenoid looking thing which then goes from there to two smaller tunes leading to the two outer carb holders. there is also a larger tube going to the air box...Is this all part of the vacuum function?

Please help

1980 Kawasaki KZ550C1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2011 22:12 #486581 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
not to be a azzhole but why cafe
that bike looks nice the way it is
2011- 1980 = 31 years old that is a classic
good luck with it

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
01 Nov 2011 22:24 #486586 by kzryderyahoo
Replied by kzryderyahoo on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
IMO don't bob but reshape that seat and find a rear cowl that looks good with the new seat. Ditch the quasi hangar bars and get a medium up and back. Nothing crazy or uncomfortable. Drop the forks a little and it'll look cooler without being a cliche.

1976 KZ 900

• djplatinum50
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Nov 2011 22:41 #486599 by djplatinum50
Replied by djplatinum50 on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build

P21 wrote: not to be a azzhole but why cafe
that bike looks nice the way it is
2011- 1980 = 31 years old that is a classic
good luck with it

Yes i agree i do like the classic look, and no worries all input is appreciated. Thats what i meant by clean cafe, im just going to do some mild changes, like the handle bars and change the seat to give it a more smooth look.

• djplatinum50
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Nov 2011 22:42 #486600 by djplatinum50
Replied by djplatinum50 on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build

kzryderyahoo wrote: IMO don't bob but reshape that seat and find a rear cowl that looks good with the new seat. Ditch the quasi hangar bars and get a medium up and back. Nothing crazy or uncomfortable. Drop the forks a little and it'll look cooler without being a cliche.

Yeah i have no plans of bobbing it at all I have so new bars coming in and i was thinking about modding that seat just dont know how. also how do you lower the front forks?

More
01 Nov 2011 23:47 #486620 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
Many owners remove the air injection paraphernalia, which doesn't affect performance, and reduces potential air leak sources.

Attachment airinjectepavalvecover.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
01 Nov 2011 23:54 #486623 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build

Patton wrote: Many owners remove the air injection paraphernalia, which doesn't affect performance, and reduces potential air leak sources.

Attachment airinjectepavalvecover.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

I agree. I found some block off plates to replace the reed valves on the valve cover for mine. Nice looking bike btw. :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • User
More
02 Nov 2011 00:14 #486634 by clutch
The carbs leaking is most likely caused by poorly adjusted (or stuck) floats. Do you have a service manual for your bike? It will explain how to adjust the float level within proper specs.

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
02 Nov 2011 00:18 #486636 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
We've actually been discussing the petcock issue in another thread. To ditch the vacuum, yes, you'll have to plug the vacuum lines on the carbs, but you'll also have to get an adapter plate to screw the new petcock into. And you'll probably have to file the opening a bit to widen it enough to let the new petcock up into your tank.
Here's the thread where it started. Go about 3/4 of the way down on page 1 and you will see where it begins:
www.kzrider.com/forum/6-paint-a-bodywork...s-1982-kz750-e3-cafe

And here is where the saga continues: www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/486262-pe...gasket-maker-is-crap
It's actually an easy process, but sometimes it doesn't want to seal quite right and finding the right fix has proven... interesting... ;)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• clutch
  • User
More
02 Nov 2011 00:20 #486637 by clutch

Chaotic Reason wrote: We've actually been discussing the petcock issue in another thread. To ditch the vacuum, yes, you'll have to plug the vacuum lines on the carbs, but you'll also have to get an adapter plate to screw the new petcock into. And you'll probably have to file the opening a bit to widen it enough to let the new petcock up into your tank.
Here's the thread where it started. Go about 3/4 of the way down on page 1 and you will see where it begins:
www.kzrider.com/forum/6-paint-a-bodywork...s-1982-kz750-e3-cafe

And here is where the saga continues: www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/486262-pe...gasket-maker-is-crap
It's actually an easy process, but sometimes it doesn't want to seal quite right and finding the right fix has proven... interesting... ;)

Oh nice...bring my leaky adapter plate woes into this. LOL! JK I post, so that others can find fixes :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
02 Nov 2011 00:33 #486641 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic 1980 550LTD Clean Cafe Build
:lol: Clutch, it's because of your thorough and patient explanations that we can all learn a thing or two. It is we who are indebted to you for the experiences you share. And we thank you very much for it. :)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• clutch
  • User
More
02 Nov 2011 00:35 #486642 by clutch

Chaotic Reason wrote: :lol: Clutch, it's because of your thorough and patient explanations that we can all learn a thing or two. It is we who are indebted to you for the experiences you share. And we thank you very much for it. :)

LOL! I'm sure that's all it is....it couldn't have anything to do with being glad that the misfortune always seems to happen to me! LOL! :P

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...