how to install new gaskets

More
08 Mar 2011 05:41 #436097 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic how to install new gaskets
andy9802gt wrote:

jjdwoodman wrote:

I didn't see any mention of a brillo pad for gasket cleanup? I like it much better than hand scraping if room allows for a die grinder in there.

Amen to that. Red scotchbrite on a right angle die grinder.

I've never tried red scotchbrite. I use scotchbrite pads (gray) to refinish aluminum - engine covers and fork lowers - but these take metal off.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2011 06:16 #436115 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic how to install new gaskets
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

andy9802gt wrote:

jjdwoodman wrote:

I didn't see any mention of a brillo pad for gasket cleanup? I like it much better than hand scraping if room allows for a die grinder in there.

Amen to that. Red scotchbrite on a right angle die grinder.

I've never tried red scotchbrite. I use scotchbrite pads (gray) to refinish aluminum - engine covers and fork lowers - but these take metal off.

thats why I dont ues em to clean flat areas when components needing gaskets, I be afraid to take off metal

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
08 Mar 2011 06:38 #436126 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic how to install new gaskets
I use the red ones. They are not as abrasive, but you still can't just sit and grind in one spot forever, just a light touch and keep it moving. I've never once distorted a part doing this. I've also used stripping pads. (the black coarse ones) by hand with good success for residue after scraping.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager