how to install new gaskets

• Sketchproject
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2011 11:37 #435524 by Sketchproject
how to install new gaskets was created by Sketchproject
I'm rebuilding my engine and I've read lots of posts on gaskets, etc that kinda confuse me.
I just bought a new cylinder base gasket. Do I just plop that in dry or should it be coated with something? I really don't want it leaking and have to break the motor apart just to fix that.
Also, besides a razor blade and elbow grease, is there a better way to get rid of the old gasket material? And how "clean" does the metal have to be of that old crap? Is a little bit of green on it fine?

1975 KZ400 D
1980 KZ550 LTD
(1997 H-D Sportster 883)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2011 12:21 #435539 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic how to install new gaskets
elbow grease and a blade and emory cloth, u want to the metal with no residue, I tried gasket remover but no luck, we didnt use anything on the base gasket but did use spray copper on the head gasket

More
07 Mar 2011 06:23 #435815 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic how to install new gaskets
I just applied my first gasket. It was the valve cover gasket and I used a gasket "sealant" I found at the local auto store. It was a mess and pretty hard to work with.

The tube didn't come with any kind of applicator tip and within the first few seconds I realized I really needed one. I found a little plastic cap, drilled a small hole in it and screwed it on the end of the tube of sealant. That made it a lot easier to control.

I'm totally new to all this so I have no idea whether or not I really needed the sealant. I figured better safe than sorry. Though now that I've done it I wonder if the real sorrow will come the next time I have to remove the valve cover.

I'd love to hear from the more seasoned mechanics about whether or not using some kind of sealant is advised.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2011 06:35 #435819 by stonemaster
u dont need sealant on a valve cover gasket at all unless maybe u are reusing one, I have used gasket in a tube when ididnt have a valve cover gasket handy but that was a long time ago

More
07 Mar 2011 06:38 #435822 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic how to install new gaskets
Other than gasket reuse, when would you use a gasket sealant? And what's the spray on copper stuff you mentioned?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
07 Mar 2011 06:50 #435824 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic how to install new gaskets
Take a look in your Kawasaki Factory Service Manual. It shows when and where to apply sealant to gaskets. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2011 08:43 #435852 by stonemaster
I got a friend who's done about 50 of these Z1 rebuilds and he turned me on the a high temp copper spray for use on head gaskets, makes em sticky as hell,

More
07 Mar 2011 09:09 - 07 Mar 2011 09:13 #435860 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic how to install new gaskets
On the valve cover gasket you may want to use something that isnt sticky so you can reuse the gasket after checking clearances. A very light coat of grease works well.

The copper spray does work well for many of the gaskets where sealer is a good idea. I've had good luck with it. I've even used it to reuse used head gaskets on a racebike (when there was no time to get a new one).

I've also had good luck using gel type paint stripper to remove old gaskets. You just need to be very careful when working near painted surfaces that you dont want damaged.

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg
Last edit: 07 Mar 2011 09:13 by mjg15.

More
07 Mar 2011 09:25 #435864 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic how to install new gaskets
On the base gaskets I do use some sticky goo - but not to seal it.

I spray the top of the gasket and stick the gasket to the underside of the cylinder block. THis gets it out of the way reducing any chance a piston skirt will catch and tear it.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2011 10:12 #435877 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic how to install new gaskets
Jeff - how about the stator grommet on the 900/1000's? I'm ordering a new one from you and was interested in your opinion there. Should the new grommet be supplemented with some silicone or other sealant to provide an oil-drip free seal?

More
07 Mar 2011 10:48 #435885 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic how to install new gaskets
I pack the channel behind the rubber grommet absolutely solid with 1104/1194 goo... I usually do this little-by-little over several days as the goo shrinks when it dries.

Before I do this, I clean all the wires, the channel and grommet as thoroughly as possible.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2011 11:02 #435887 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic how to install new gaskets
Thanks, Jeff!