What's the ONE best internal engine mod?

More
27 Feb 2011 21:29 - 27 Feb 2011 21:40 #433898 by Nelson
Ok here's another one for you guys to argue about :laugh:

While I've got my 78 KZ1000 apart, I may just decide to splurge and buy ONE internal engine hop up item with my tax refund.

What do you think is the most cost effective? The most bang for the buck? Cams? Pistons? Porting? I can only pick ONE so don't give me a long list... :P

The bike has BS34s, Dyna ignition, and Sidewinder drag pipe. All else is stock.

The Dyna is the really basic model that's completely inside the right engine cover. The coils are stock. I've always been a bit skeptical that performance coils really do much, but feel free to tell my why I'm wrong.

So which ONE would you pick?

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2011 21:40 by Nelson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2011 21:39 #433899 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
Nelson wrote:

...78 KZ1000...most cost effective? The most bang for the buck? Cams? Pistons? Porting? I can only pick ONE so don't give me a long list....

No substitute for displacement . . . except a nitrous kit. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Feb 2011 21:42 #433901 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
I think the saying is "no replacement for displacement" B)

Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
28 Feb 2011 03:39 #433916 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
If pistons/rings still good....

Head mod w/1+ on the valves w/P&P (increased flow) and Performance cams... Ah hell, throw in some CR-29mm.... yeah that be the ticket...

Wake that old girl right up...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
28 Feb 2011 04:10 #433920 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
Engines are just airpumps.....get some headwork done and help it breath ;)

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2011 04:13 #433921 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
Nelson wrote:

Ok here's another one for you guys to argue about :laugh:

While I've got my 78 KZ1000 apart, I may just decide to splurge and buy ONE internal engine hop up item with my tax refund.

What do you think is the most cost effective? The most bang for the buck? Cams? Pistons? Porting? I can only pick ONE so don't give me a long list... :P

The bike has BS34s, Dyna ignition, and Sidewinder drag pipe. All else is stock.

The Dyna is the really basic model that's completely inside the right engine cover. The coils are stock. I've always been a bit skeptical that performance coils really do much, but feel free to tell my why I'm wrong.

Smash the BS34's with a great big hammer and buy some real carbs :laugh: .....there, that ought to get a rise out of some people this morning :woohoo:

Bore it to 1075. Anything you add after that is icing on the cake ;)

More
28 Feb 2011 05:45 #433929 by Rudy
Replied by Rudy on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
Getting a bigger bore sounds good to me too. Just wondering if a stronger crank wouldn't be needed as well then?!?

Ride like lightning,
Crash like thunder.

More
28 Feb 2011 06:32 #433936 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
You need to think about how you ride the bike.

How many miles are on the engine? My answer will change significantly based on this answer...

Each modification can bring benefit, but in some cases cons too. If this were a commuter bike you'd get a different answer than if it's ridden hard.

Most big bore kits generate extra heat, and require higher octane fuel (more expensive). If you commute in hotter temperatures I'd tell you to steer clear of a 10.25:1 piston kit.

If you plan on just riding on the weekends and having some fun, the big-bore kit is good. I'd probably start with HD cylinder studs and the piston kit. You then have the option in the future to rework the head - either porting it, or just dropping some mild street cams in.

If you are tearing the engine down completely, I would start with the fundamentals - a new Tsubaki cam chain and HD studs - possibly new idler sprockets, cam chain guide, etc. They are more important than the big-bore kit.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
28 Feb 2011 06:44 #433940 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
I would go with a 1075 kit. You can feel the diffrence. Guaranteed. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
28 Feb 2011 07:48 #433951 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
Wow this one is popular! Thanks. It will be mostly a ride on the weekends type of bike. Sometimes pretty hot here in Sac, but I won't be sitting in stop and go traffic a lot. The ODO says 36,000 but who can say for sure if that's correct. I plan to do all the needed stuff to make it reliable as top priority, then perhaps the one mod as well.

Yes I think the cam chain, studs and rollers is a good idea.

More
28 Feb 2011 11:04 - 28 Feb 2011 11:05 #433983 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
Nelson wrote:

I would have to pick this Mod... Period. And than qualify it with quite a few of these.. B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

You catch my drift? You catch my Tokyo Drift?

:)
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Feb 2011 11:05 by Kraz1.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
28 Feb 2011 12:58 #434012 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic What's the ONE best internal engine mod?
X2 simple/reasonable size- big bore and some strength parts to match the kit...not too heavy pop up pistons and maybe redo the timing chain and wear items....

Jeff.Saunders wrote:

You need to think about how you ride the bike.

How many miles are on the engine? My answer will change significantly based on this answer...

Each modification can bring benefit, but in some cases cons too. If this were a commuter bike you'd get a different answer than if it's ridden hard.

Most big bore kits generate extra heat, and require higher octane fuel (more expensive). If you commute in hotter temperatures I'd tell you to steer clear of a 10.25:1 piston kit.

If you plan on just riding on the weekends and having some fun, the big-bore kit is good. I'd probably start with HD cylinder studs and the piston kit. You then have the option in the future to rework the head - either porting it, or just dropping some mild street cams in.

If you are tearing the engine down completely, I would start with the fundamentals - a new Tsubaki cam chain and HD studs - possibly new idler sprockets, cam chain guide, etc. They are more important than the big-bore kit.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife