Stuck cylinder head plug

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2011 08:52 #432088 by Topper
Stuck cylinder head plug was created by Topper
I've got a cylinder head plug that won't budge. This is on a 1979 KZ 750 B twin. It's one of the four plugs that go over the cylinder head bolts.

The other three plugs popped out without much fuss. They're threaded to receive the cylinder head bolts and I was able to pop them out by just running a bolt through and with a little encouragement they popped out.

The fourth one won't budge. I actually broke the cylinder head bolt off in the hole.:S

I guess the next step is to get a drill and try to get the broken bolt out. (Any tips on this would be appreciated.)

Once I get the broken bolt out, what do I do about the stuck cylinder head plug?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 08:56 #432089 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Stuck cylinder head plug
picture? :S

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2011 09:04 - 20 Feb 2011 09:05 #432090 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Stuck cylinder head plug
Here you go.

That circle in the center of the plug is supposed to be a threaded hole. Instead that's half of one of my cylinder head bolts.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Feb 2011 09:05 by Topper.

More
20 Feb 2011 09:12 #432094 by PLUMMEN
can you push down on one corner and pry it out? B)

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2011 09:18 #432097 by Topper
No, it won't move. I tried a little penetrating oil to see if it would loosen it up, but no dice.

Before I sheared off the bolt I had tried gripping and prying the bolt with some pliers. Still no luck.

There's a rubber o ring down in there on the plug. I guess it's swollen or something.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
20 Feb 2011 09:25 #432101 by PLUMMEN
pm steel,he probably knows how to get it out B)

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
20 Feb 2011 10:53 #432106 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Stuck cylinder head plug
Topper wrote:

I've got a cylinder head plug that won't budge. This is on a 1979 KZ 750 B twin. It's one of the four plugs that go over the cylinder head bolts.

The other three plugs popped out without much fuss. They're threaded to receive the cylinder head bolts and I was able to pop them out by just running a bolt through and with a little encouragement they popped out.

The fourth one won't budge. I actually broke the cylinder head bolt off in the hole.:S

I guess the next step is to get a drill and try to get the broken bolt out. (Any tips on this would be appreciated.)

Once I get the broken bolt out, what do I do about the stuck cylinder head plug?

It took me a while to figure out your situation, but after studying the parts diagram, I think I've figured it out. The head is held down with studs, not bolts. The nut on the stud under the stuck plug is still there. The plug is threaded for a bolt used only to remove the plug. Am I correct so far? If so, here's what you do. Drill into the broken bolt and back it out with an Easy out. If that wont get it out, carefully drill out the bolt you snapped off. If it was a 6mm bolt, drill 1/4" You'll need to drill down very close to the center of the bolt. When that bolt is gone tap the hole for a 5/16" bolt to try to jack out the plug again. But this time use some heat. You should be able the warm up the area around the plug to about 350 degrees without affecting the aluminum head. Go gently with a propane torch. When it's hot apply some penetrating oil to cool it and heat it up again. The repeated heating cooling cycles will cause a little movement in the stuck parts. When it's hot, turn down that jacking screw and it should come out. If it doesn't, I have further instructions involving explosives. :woohoo:

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
20 Feb 2011 11:04 #432107 by TomW
I took another look at the picture. Get that camshaft out first. In fact take them both out and any rubber parts in the neighborhood.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2011 11:47 #432115 by Topper
You're spot on with your assesment of the pic and parts diagram.

Reading your suggestion I was going to ask about rubber parts. There's also loads of motor oil all around there. Will a propane torch be hot enough to catch that on fire?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
20 Feb 2011 12:28 #432126 by TomW
Topper wrote:

You're spot on with your assesment of the pic and parts diagram.

Reading your suggestion I was going to ask about rubber parts. There's also loads of motor oil all around there. Will a propane torch be hot enough to catch that on fire?

The torch flame is certainly hot enough to start the oil burning but I think it will only burn while the torch flame is on the part. Dry up all the oil you can before proceeding. It will smoke a bit anyway. Of course your carburetors are already off, right? If you're trying to remove the head everything that's attached to it has to be removed anyway.

I'm wondering what the purpose of the plugs is. If there is a threaded hole all the way through oil can just run through them anyway. ????

More
21 Feb 2011 08:39 #432343 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Stuck cylinder head plug
Do whatever you have to do to get that plug out, then e-mail me your address and I'll send you another one.

KD9JUR

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Feb 2011 10:22 #432372 by Topper
TomW wrote:

I'm wondering what the purpose of the plugs is. If there is a threaded hole all the way through oil can just run through them anyway. ????

Yeah I'm not really sure what they're supposed to do. The gasket sort of lays over the holes. I wouldn't think that would do much good, but there wasn't any oil down inside the other three so I guess it works.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys