79 KZ400 Clutch / Tranny issues

More
07 Feb 2011 12:18 #429200 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 79 KZ400 Clutch / Tranny issues
check the pusher under clutch cover that engages pushrod.
can you here transmision engage when you shift trans?
trans could be going into gear but clutch is just not engaging,not sure which issue your having. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2011 12:20 #429201 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 79 KZ400 Clutch / Tranny issues
treitz wrote:

In looking through the manual and pictures of my bike I don't think that there is any way looking through the shift side covers will help me here.

As you can see in this picture, there is no visual way to see the the push rod from the shift side other than the inch or two that is sticking out.

If I decide to take the clutch side cover off, what am I looking for? I have attached a picture with a circle where I THINK the push rod goes, but I am not sure.

bottem picture is the external linkage i was talking about,check the spring on lobster claw where it goes around shift drum B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Feb 2011 12:32 #429203 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic 79 KZ400 Clutch / Tranny issues
This is harder to explain than I thought it would be...

With the shift side cover off I can see the push rod. The push rod is obviously all the way IN because I cannot push it in any further. So the clutch is DISENGAGED right?? It's as if the clutch lever is always pulled.

Meaning... when I try to shift, the shifter goes up and down but never engages in a gear because the clutch will not allow it to.

Make sense?

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

More
07 Feb 2011 12:44 - 07 Feb 2011 12:49 #429204 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 79 KZ400 Clutch / Tranny issues
treitz wrote:

With the shift side cover off I can see the push rod. The push rod is obviously all the way IN because I cannot push it in any further. So the clutch is DISENGAGED right?? It's as if the clutch lever is always pulled.

Meaning... when I try to shift, the shifter goes up and down but never engages in a gear because the clutch will not allow it to.

Make sense?

With the shift side cover off I can see the push rod. The push rod is obviously all the way IN because I cannot push it in any further. So the clutch is DISENGAGED right?? It's as if the clutch lever is always pulled. WRONG.

Under such conditions, the push-rod is just sitting there in its channel doing absolutely nothing, whereby the clutch is supposed to be fully ENGAGED.

It takes more than naked hand pressure to exert enough force against the push-rod to disengage the clutch.
What it takes is a properly assembled and installed actuator, cable and sprocket cover, together with a proper gap set between the adjuster screw and end of the push-rod, and proper cable sheath adjustments.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 12:49 by Patton.

More
07 Feb 2011 12:59 #429206 by treitz
Patton wrote:

treitz wrote:

Make sense?

With the shift side cover off I can see the push rod. The push rod is obviously all the way IN because I cannot push it in any further. So the clutch is DISENGAGED right?? It's as if the clutch lever is always pulled. WRONG.

Under such conditions, the push-rod is just sitting there in its channel doing absolutely nothing, whereby the clutch is supposed to be fully ENGAGED.

It takes more than naked hand pressure to exert enough force against the push-rod to disengage the clutch.
What it takes is a properly assembled and installed actuator, cable and sprocket cover, together with a proper gap set between the adjuster screw and end of the push-rod, and proper cable sheath adjustments.

I pushed with more than just my hand. And nothing.

I have also properly installed the sprocket cover and clutch cable and I am fairly certain, but not 100% sure that the push rod is not moving when I pull the clutch.

If you do not believe that the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position, what could be causing the symptoms I described?

With the sprocket cover off and no pressure on the push rod it will not shift into gear. The shifter travels up and down but it does not find the gears. As if the clutch is pulled. This is to say that 30 seconds prior this happening it DID shift into gear. I feel that when I installed the clutch cable and sprocket cover and pulled the clutch it disengaged the clutch and it is now stuck disengaged due to bad springs.

More
07 Feb 2011 13:04 #429208 by Patton
In its normal resting position, the clutch plates are held pressed together by the springs, at which time the clutch is "engaged."

The push-rod is part of the mechanism whereby the clutch plates may be forcefully spread apart by compressing the springs, which allows separation of the plates, hence "disengaged."

The adjuster screw pushes against the push-rod.

The adjusted gap (per clutch push-rod adjustment) assures there's no pressure being exerted against the push-rod while the clutch is supposedly fully engaged (handlebar clutch lever not being squeezed).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Feb 2011 13:08 #429210 by Patton
Question -- is transmission now in neutral, and won't shift into 1st? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Feb 2011 13:14 #429212 by treitz
Patton wrote:

In its normal resting position, the clutch plates are held pressed together by the springs, at which time the clutch is "engaged."

The push-rod is part of the mechanism whereby the clutch plates may be forcefully spread apart by compressing the springs, which allows separation of the plates, hence "disengaged."

The adjuster screw pushes against the push-rod.

The adjusted gap (per clutch push-rod adjustment) assures there's no pressure being exerted against the push-rod while the clutch is supposedly fully engaged (handlebar clutch lever not being squeezed).

I fully understand what you are saying, but I don't think you understand what I am saying.

With the sprocket cover completely off, so ZERO pressure on the push rod the clutch should be ENGAGED in which case with the bike OFF I would be able to shift through the gears without issue.

Prior to yesterday this worked correctly. I could shift through the gears with ease. With the bike OFF and the sprocket cover off.

All of the sudden it wouldn't shift anymore. With the sprocket cover off (no pressure on push rod) and the engine off.

Does that makes more sense as to why I feel like the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position? With the plates spread apart.

More
07 Feb 2011 13:17 #429213 by treitz
Patton wrote:

Question -- is transmission now in neutral, and won't shift into 1st? :unsure:

Yes it is in neutral. The shifter will go up, and go down but will not find a gear.

More
07 Feb 2011 13:20 #429215 by treitz
I can hear it "clicking" as if it's finding the gear, just won't stay in the gear.

But if the clutch is truly stuck in the disengaged position, it could be in gear but I wouldn't know.

More
07 Feb 2011 13:21 - 07 Feb 2011 13:25 #429216 by Patton
Regardless of clutch position or condition of plates or springs or even with the entire clutch basket removed from the engine, or push-rod removed and set aside, and with the sprocket cover removed --- the tranny should still shift back and forth between neutral and 1st gear.

When everything is functioning perfectly, it should not shift up from neutral into 2nd gear unless the bike is moving forward. Which is a safety design by Kawasaki.
This forward motion may be simulated with the bike on its center-stand (or rear wheel otherwise suspended) by hand-spinning the rear wheel.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 13:25 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RiderRandy

More
07 Feb 2011 13:26 #429217 by treitz
Ya good point.

Although it won't go into first either. The most confusing part about this whole bit is the fact that at one moment it was shifting through just fine and the next it wouldn't.

Just not sure where I should even start trouble shooting.