tensile strength needed?

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2011 05:18 #428676 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic tensile strength needed?
steell wrote:

Just some info I found:

Drag Racing Chain Applications By Horsepower

up to 250hp 530DR2 530DRZ2
up to 500hp 630MS

more than 500hp 630SHB 630SHBZ

www.ekchain.com/drag.htm

SRX Series: Value-Priced Quadra-X Ring Chains
SRX-series chains offer excellent value, and improve on the SRO-series chains with the superior sealing and reduced friction of EK Quadra-X Ring seals.
Recommended application: up to 650cc/80hp for 520SRXL; up to 750cc/90hp for 520SRX; up to 900cc/110hp fo 525SRX; up to 1000cc/120hp for 530SRX
Available colors: gold
Tensile strength: 8000 lbs. for 520SRXL; 8500 lbs. for 520SRX; 8800 lbs. for 525SRX; 9200 lbs. for 530SRX

www.ekchain.com/street.htm

And I found a whole bunch of posts on various forums of people arguing about which chain to use. Seems like a popular pastime :laugh:

Get out... I don't believe it :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2011 13:33 #428778 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic tensile strength needed?
No, I've never seen a new sportbike with an OEM aluminum rear sprocket. Lots of folks run aftermarket aluminum rear sprockets on the street, but not me.
If you are talking about chains, you are talking about sprockets too. A used set of sprockets + a new chain = very short chain life. Also, a used chain + a new sprocket = very short sprocket life.
If your going to sell your bike in a few weeks (or miles), sure anything goes. If your going to try to keep your bike long enough to ware out a chain and set of sprockets like I do, I've found its always cheeper to replace these parts as a compleat set.

Stu Pidasole wrote:
most crotch rockets come with aluminum rear sprockets. if my aluminum $40 sprocket goes ill buy one of these first... www.sidewindersprockets.com/

also, this thread was aimed at chains....i see a 530 116 link thats 8,200 t.s. i may just use that for now....not sure.[/quote]

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

• Stu Pidasole
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
05 Feb 2011 14:34 - 05 Feb 2011 14:34 #428791 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic tensile strength needed?
893cv wrote:

No, I've never seen a new sportbike with an OEM aluminum rear sprocket. Lots of folks run aftermarket aluminum rear sprockets on the street, but not me.
If you are talking about chains, you are talking about sprockets too. A used set of sprockets + a new chain = very short chain life. Also, a used chain + a new sprocket = very short sprocket life.
If your going to sell your bike in a few weeks (or miles), sure anything goes. If your going to try to keep your bike long enough to ware out a chain and set of sprockets like I do, I've found its always cheeper to replace these parts as a compleat set.

Stu Pidasole wrote:
most crotch rockets come with aluminum rear sprockets. if my aluminum $40 sprocket goes ill buy one of these first... www.sidewindersprockets.com/

also, this thread was aimed at chains....i see a 530 116 link thats 8,200 t.s. i may just use that for now....not sure.

[/quote]my sprockets and chain are brand new. i allready ordered my chain. thanks though. if needed down the road ill buy a steel or titanium rear sprocket.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2011 14:34 by Stu Pidasole.