4 valve head swap?

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
19 Nov 2010 03:45 #413390 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic 4 valve head swap?
If you look at the cam chain tunnel, you will notice that the block doesn't quite match up there. But Rob doesn't think that will be much of an issue.... nothing he can't fix with a welder and some time.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
19 Nov 2010 09:11 #413421 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic 4 valve head swap?
hardr0ck68 wrote:

If you look at the cam chain tunnel, you will notice that the block doesn't quite match up there. But Rob doesn't think that will be much of an issue.... nothing he can't fix with a welder and some time.

I started to ask why the heads needed to be cut, faintly remembering something a few pages back, and then noticed the cut cam chain cavity. How are you planning to "seam" the head?

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Nov 2010 12:59 #413438 by hardr0ck68
The gap will be filled/seamed with weld... he will keep it level by using slightly a oversized bar in the cam journals and torqued down using the cam caps. This should keep the head fairly straight and level... the cam journals may need to be honed out after if there is a slight offset... the head will need to be surfaced of course, and so will the block and probably the upper cases. I don't know if enough material will be removed to require a spacer or extra thick gasket; but I bet cometic will be able to fix me up with whatever I need.

Somewhere I have a head Rob welded up for me... If I can figure out which one it was I will post pictures of it and a stock head. If anyone can tell the difference I will owe them a 6 pack! I am sure that where the block and cases meet will look stock when this is all done.

He has even offered to unhook the weight on his car dyno so we could run the bike on it when it is done. Hey if it is going to fail critically, better on a dyno then the street :)
It may be a good time to buy a programmable ignition... I doubt the factory kz one will prove the best for this new top end.

I also need to find out from him what the intake spacing will be.... see if I can't find some carbs/throttle bodies to fit to it.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jan 2011 18:31 #425503 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 4 valve head swap?
Bump, update?:)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
25 Jan 2011 18:35 #425507 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic 4 valve head swap?
Motor Head wrote:

Bump, update?:)

...tumBLEweed...

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jan 2011 04:18 #425629 by hardr0ck68
Nothing new on the motor recently. My buddy has 2 buildings, one heated with the majority of his tools, one unheated with many of the larger tools (mills, lathes, dyno, a shit ton of welding stuff) since it has been on average -5 around here he is not getting down to the lower shop much.

They are looking to move the whole show up the road 1/4 mile to a newer building, one massive building with a open layout. He tells me side projects like my bike will move along quicker there because they can be worked on while waiting for parts and whatnot.

I have recently aquired 2007 gsxr1000 rear suspension and 2006 zx14 front forks/rim. But the suspension mods will have to wait as well.

1977 kz650 c1

More
05 Apr 2011 22:00 #442862 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic 4 valve head swap?
Anything new to report?

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Apr 2011 23:04 #442884 by hardr0ck68
No progress, but it is far from dead. My buddies shop is moving to a new building (they now rent 2 buildings that were built in the 1940's; moving to one place with more space and built in the 1990's). Good, Cheap or fast; pick 2... Rob does my work good and cheap; so I can deal with the time.

1977 kz650 c1

More
05 Jun 2012 10:19 #527030 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic 4 valve head swap?
You ever get any progress on this?

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler