Engine warm-up

More
24 Sep 2010 07:49 #401389 by 83kaw550
Replied by 83kaw550 on topic Engine warm-up
I will pay closer attention to the time its really taking to warm-up. Didn't have the time yesterday. It is getting colder out and I am too new to this bike. Hopefully it all checks out alright.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2010 08:11 #401392 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Engine warm-up
Imo, 4500rpm warm up is way too high. You're trying to warm it up, not kill it! I set my choke so it runs at about 1500 and wait until it will accept a bit of throttle. Once it can take throttle I can usually take the choke off.

Mind you, my bike has flat slides on it so they react a bit different than CVs.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
24 Sep 2010 11:51 #401456 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Engine warm-up
Man I despise misinformation. :angry:
Here have a direct quote from a very successful 30+ year Kawasaki Mechanic.

"It's a Kawasaki, not a Harley (meaning pre Evolution). You need at the most about 1 minute for the oil to be properly moving everywhere it needs to go. Then get on the thing and ride, it will warm up faster than sitting still. You're not trying to push straight 50 weigh oil at 8 psi up channels the size of your thumb."

"Choke is on full (with a completely cold motor) for startup, and down to the secondary position within 15 to 25 seconds tops. On the inline-4s move lever half way down or so within that time frame, whatever achieves a good idle. If the bike is operating normally, within about 1/4 mile down the road you should be able to shut your choke completely off."

After being told that many years ago, and after many years of personal experience. I have to agree 100%, these motors warm much faster working than they do sitting idle in a lane way.
Besides:
There is literally nothing worse for an air cooled engine than to sit around without air traveling over it. If you ride in very cold conditions your just wasting your time with a long lane way warm up, because about half a mile down the road you can place your hands on the barrels and not even warm your fingers. Trust me I live in an Igloo in Canada eh!

The cool Knob you found is your idle yes:
They're CV carbs though, so your not holding any "sliders" anywhere with your idle screw, you are however holding the butterfly flaps open more. (This knob should only concern you though, if your idle is too high/low after warm up.)

If you're looking for air leaks:
I don't suggest you spray any type of cleaner with strong solvents in it on any of your rubber if you want to keep it. Use either the WD-40 looking for smoke, or use an unlit propane torch and look for an idle increase.

I think you'll discover though that your warm up problem will go away, if you simply quit sitting around in your lane way waiting for the bike to warm. Moments after start up you should be able to start moving the choke lever down "a bit at a time" to lower the idle rate so you don't clunk when putting it into gear to leave.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
24 Sep 2010 13:08 - 24 Sep 2010 13:09 #401472 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Engine warm-up
I've never had any problem riding my 750/4 or any other bike for that matter with half choke or partial choke - about the time it takes to get helmet on blip the throttle and make sure it's smooth - and then turning off the choke when I'm running off down the street.

I'm old enough to remember and have driven cars with manual chokes and have always done the same.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 24 Sep 2010 13:09 by JR.

More
24 Sep 2010 14:45 #401487 by 83kaw550
Replied by 83kaw550 on topic Engine warm-up
Awsome! I have a 68 FJ40 that I do the same thing with.