Base Gasket STILL $%#@%!#@% leaking.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Aug 2010 07:54 #392419 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Base Gasket STILL $%#@%!#@% leaking.
they should not be tapered? what model bike are u working on?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2010 09:53 #392479 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Base Gasket STILL $%#@%!#@% leaking.
It's a KZ750 L3. They're the bolts marked 92001A on this microfiche: kz.mbsween.com/parts/B-4CylinderHead.jpg

You're right, it looks like they should be straight. Mine, however, are two different colors and are narrowed right above the threads. Any reason I shouldn't replace them with bolts threaded the full length?

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Aug 2010 10:10 #392489 by mark1122
staniel wrote:

It's a KZ750 L3. They're the bolts marked 92001A on this microfiche: kz.mbsween.com/parts/B-4CylinderHead.jpg

You're right, it looks like they should be straight. Mine, however, are two different colors and are narrowed right above the threads. Any reason I shouldn't replace them with bolts threaded the full length?

OK . that is a completly dif bike. i dont know why they would be tapered but i would just verify that u have the proper stock bolts.it says they are 8x43mm. Maybe another menber has some input?
i wouldnt go to 12mm. thats a biiig bolt. u could put a heli coil in ,or a 5/16"STD thread bolt may be just a hair bigger than the 8mm. ? check your tap and die chart and find something just a bit larger.
Also, if u have a cheap torque wrench, this may be the problem. or if the bolt is on the exht side it could be that the head material has weakened from age and heat cycls.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
20 Aug 2010 10:30 - 20 Aug 2010 11:05 #392496 by staniel
Sorry for the confusion. 12mm hex is the measurement of the tool face. Also I may be using the wrong word when I say tapered. It's as though the middle third of the bolt has been lathed to be narrower.

A text diagram:

12mm bolt head
8mm straight rod
6mm straight rod
8mm threaded

My torque wrench is one of these all-metal ones. I don't understand how it could go wrong?

Also, the bolt is what broke, thankfully, not the block. The tapered part was sticking out of the block when I took the head off and I was able to remove it with pliers. Perhaps it's tapered so that when it breaks it leaves part of itself exposed?

Got some flanged 8x45s (non-stainless). They're 13mm tool face, but I checked and they fit. I'm gonna take off the last 2mm with sandpaper while I watch Arrested Development. Should I be using thread locker on these?

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike
Last edit: 20 Aug 2010 11:05 by staniel.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Aug 2010 15:37 - 20 Aug 2010 15:38 #392557 by mark1122
staniel wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. 12mm hex is the measurement of the tool face. Also I may be using the wrong word when I say tapered. It's as though the middle third of the bolt has been lathed to be narrower.

A text diagram:

12mm bolt head
8mm straight rod
6mm straight rod
8mm threaded

My torque wrench is one of these all-metal ones. I don't understand how it could go wrong?

Also, the bolt is what broke, thankfully, not the block. The tapered part was sticking out of the block when I took the head off and I was able to remove it with pliers. Perhaps it's tapered so that when it breaks it leaves part of itself exposed?

Got some flanged 8x45s (non-stainless). They're 13mm tool face, but I checked and they fit. I'm gonna take off the last 2mm with sandpaper while I watch Arrested Development. Should I be using thread locker on these?

it sounds like u have stretched the bolt in the center and then it broke. i would suspect your torque wrench.
i bought a cheep 1 once and the same thing happened.
if u are stretching bolts at the proper toque setting, it cant be working properly.
take a spare bolt , the same size, put the tip of the threads tight in a vice. now try to tighten the bolt to the torque u # u used before. see if it twists the bolt, or just clicks off as it were at the proper torque.
u really need to use an inch pound wrench for this job.
can u borrow 1 from someone?
do u have a grinder? or even a drill with a grinding stone would work to shorten the bolt. or u could put a nut on it , cut the extra off with a hack saw , then remove the nut. removing the nut will straighten the last thread on the bolt , that may have gotten damaged from the hack saw.u may even find that the 45mm is not too long? place a small drill bit down the hole to measure its depth.
i would use blue loctite on the bolt.

if u want more responces, u should allways start a new thread, on your spesific problem.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 20 Aug 2010 15:38 by mark1122.

More
21 Aug 2010 18:42 #392846 by staniel
I appreciate the help a lot. I was able to dremel a set of 8x45s down to 8x43. They're in there now and I torqued to the metric recommendations in my Clymer manual: 4.0 for the nuts and 3.0 for the two bolts. All's cinched up now and work has begun on the valve clearance measurements, for which I will follow your advice and start a new thread.

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike