77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question

More
27 Jun 2010 06:43 - 27 Jun 2010 06:44 #378514 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
Would suspect the beginning threads have been crossed and plug forceably turned in part way, which forcing buggered the threads from top of hole downward to some uncertain point.

If continue tapping (chasing) the buggered thread pattern from the top, will cut new threads entire length of hole, also through the original deeper threads. Maybe okay. Maybe not so okay.

Imo should consider using a reverse tap, which begins from the bottom deep end of the spark plug hole from inside the combustion chamber. This will re-tap the original threads on up through the buggered portion lying closer to the top.
Removal of the head is unnecessary.

Some folks apply grease to the tap and work one turn at the time, whereby the "shavings" are trapped in the grease, and the tap may be withdrawn, cleaned, re-greased, and repeat.

Btw, the small magnet may help remove particles that are attracted to the magnet. However, aluminum, stainless steel, and some other metals aren't attracted to a magnet, which would especially apply to aluminum shavings from re-tapping a spark plug hole.

Here's a pic of the reverse tap tool. Sometimes called a back tap.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jun 2010 06:44 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
27 Jun 2010 07:03 #378516 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
I second Patton's advice. Either use his method or pull the head and get a good look at what is going on. Whatever you do, DO NOT force the plugs in place. That will just about guarantee that you'll strip the threads. Then you will be having the same quandry about aluminum shavings when you are putting helicoils in your head. Not surprising that it happened on 2 and 3. Those are the harder plugs to get to. Also I wouldn't advise you to try and blow anything dropped in you cylinder out through the exhaust. Aluminum shavings are relatively soft and would likely make it out just fine. However, one of those shavings could get hung up on the valve seat, and when the exhaust valve closes it gets hammered to either the seat or the valve. Then you will have a cylinder that won't make compression = engine teardown.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
27 Jun 2010 09:20 #378535 by 1977kz1000
Replied by 1977kz1000 on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
Will a cross threaded hole be obvious??? I checked the plugs they look fine, nothing like they are online... I also peeked in the holes and the threads look fine!!!

More
27 Jun 2010 09:42 #378540 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
Just out of curiosity... :blush:

Plugs... B8ES or something other?
Thread lengths the same as B8's....

Are you positive plugs aren't hitting valves or "holly shit" factor piston domes?

Under ignition plate, ignition advance unit shows TDC 2/3, if so rotate 17mm nut forward direction insuring pistons 2/3 not TDC... Plugs insert fully now?

This is a weird one no doubt...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
27 Jun 2010 10:36 #378545 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
Patton wrote:

Would suspect the beginning threads have been crossed and plug forceably turned in part way, which forcing buggered the threads from top of hole downward to some uncertain point.

If continue tapping (chasing) the buggered thread pattern from the top, will cut new threads entire length of hole, also through the original deeper threads. Maybe okay. Maybe not so okay.

Interesting. I thought the chasers would not "track" a cross thread pattern which is why they were useful. It's been 30 years since I saw one used so maybe not. The reverse thread cutter sounds like the plan to go with.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Jun 2010 11:08 #378553 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
The simple solution to aluminum shavings is grease. Just grease up the tap and it's virtually impossible for any shavings to escape, unless there is a large amount. Try it out on a scrap piece of aluminum and you'll see what I mean.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
08 Jul 2010 06:27 #381004 by 1977kz1000
Replied by 1977kz1000 on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
Fixed.... I got the thread chaser that was recommended prior that was the size of the spark hole thread the whole way through without any need to helicoil. Belive it or not there was crud all over the place in those inner threads, probably after years of something!!

Heres how I used the thread chaser for anyone else who may be wondering. Lube it up with some PB buster or some WD40 to break up any nastiness that may be lingering inside the thread hole. Then lube up your tap/chaser. Go in slowly! The moment you feel tension building, start backing out and then go back in again. This is a long process and don't be surprised if it takes you a while. After you get it done, you'll notice that the threads look almost like brand new. (Make sure you also have lots of lube on the chaser - some shavings will stick to the liquid - and a metal brush to keep your tap/chaser clean when you go back in)

DON'T FORGET TO GET THE SHAVINGS OUT! When I got the threads done, I figured there would be shavings in the cylinder... so believe it or not I got a magnet and just fished it around in there and the shavings stuck to it which amazed me because I thought aluminum isn't magnetic. I actually think that the spark hole is some sort of composite...because curly shavings stuck to the magnet. Do this after every chase to keep up on it. Then I just kicked it a few times.

Plugs when all the way in. You'll get some lube in the cylinder head and that will just burn off. You'll also burn off anything at the top of the head where you put your plugs in. It will smoke for about a day...give it some good riding and it'll be okay.

I put iridiums in my bike and it's running great. Although last night the kickstand gave weigh and it toppled over. GOD DARN IT!

Thank you everyone for you help, and I hope my struggles will help out the next person. Remember, take it one step at a time and go in easy! The spark plugs should not be rough going in!!

More
08 Jul 2010 07:19 - 08 Jul 2010 07:25 #381014 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic 77 KZ1000 Spark Plugs Question
Usually all you are removing with that tool is built up carbon which there is enough of in the chamber already. The funny part is that carbon is harder than the Aluminum head material. The trick to use is to put some grease into the lands of the cutter. This will hold most of the cut material. Also do the cutting with the piston at TDC. This way it can be vacuumed out more completely.
www.harborfreight.com/10mm-14mm-spark-pl...ad-chaser-66033.html

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 08 Jul 2010 07:25 by otakar.