PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE????? PULL RING !

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jun 2010 12:07 #377554 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE?????
Well I have pulled all of the covers possible without splitting, no sign of remainders of that pull ring. I think the rest was small enough to come out in the oil, this piece I found was never going to fit out the drain screw. It was sitting very close to it as this is low point, of course.
Looked really close at the chain for this "NOISE" I hear, not happy with wear in between link and rollers, chain has side deflection, wear pattern on outside of front sprocket shows miss alignment at some time. New set of drive gear on its way, from Z-1, I'll try them as everyone hear uses them. Not the cheapest I found but hey service is worth a lot and these guy's have a good Reputation.
As soon as this gets here I'll install and the "Noise" should be gone.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2010 16:41 #377616 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE????? PULL RING !
Hope that solves it for you. The good news is you got a look at most of the rest of the motor and nothing jumps out at you as being fouled up :)

I would closely inspect the shift shaft seal in the trans cover while you're down. Those seals tend to let go at the most inconvenient times. Jeff has a seal kit for that entire cover and it's not very expensive.

Larry C

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jun 2010 16:51 #377619 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE????? PULL RING !
Put those seals in when I did the Top End as it had a Shifter shaft leak, same on the 550 I built up.
Pulled the rear sprocket, wrapped the chain and lifted it 3/8" easily away from teeth- FUBAR!!!
RK 630 chain, but not O-Ring. I would never buy a non sealed chain, PO must have had real Issues for sure.
Yea glad to get into all of the covers and check it ALL, just was really surprised to find that Ring in the pan.
Been a long time since I found a foreign object in a motor, but it does happen.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
22 Jun 2010 20:12 #377648 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE????? PULL RING !
Larry, a while back, you asked me why I pulled my motor all apart when it seemed to have compression. This whole senerio right here is what I wanted to avoid. Of corse I wound up with all different problems. FUBAR happens every day.

Glad that you found your noise Motor Head. You can bet that chain would have bit you on that long trip.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN