PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE????? PULL RING !

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jun 2010 17:07 #377358 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE?????
AND

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2010 17:09 #377359 by Motor Head
AND
The pull tab is from a PEPSI can, but the more I compare the more I agree some PO has put in an additive of the ALLOY TYPE.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2010 19:08 #377412 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE?????
Take your pick

a] Life is like a box of chocolates :laugh:

b] Stupid is as stupid does....

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
21 Jun 2010 19:33 #377420 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE?????
riverroad wrote:

Maybe it's a pull tab from a can of oil additive.

I'm with riverroad. Didn't those cans of Rislone used to have pull tabs?

Motorhead, do you have little kids in the house. They can add all kinds of stuff to your crankcase for you. To me the most important thing is not what it is exactly. It clearly doesn't belong. It however appears that it was sheared into two pieces, and you only have 2/3 of it. I would focus on finding the other piece or pieces. I would also try to find out if it did any damage to whatever sheared it. The good news is that it appears to be aluminum, and is not any harder than anything in the motor/trans. It could have scratched a case or gaulled up on a steel part if it got stuck in something. That dry bearing sound might just be your giveaway. I'd start there if I were you. Good luck.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
21 Jun 2010 19:33 #377421 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE?????
Don't feel too bad, yesterday I was advising a young woman about what to do to her bike over at the Kawasaki.org website.

It seems she had spent hard earned money on a used Ninja and one of her "Friends" dumped a bag of sugar in the gas tank. She didn't know this and went for a ride and the bike bogged down and ran like crap.

She got it home and was seeking advise, I told her to clean out the fuel system,new sparkplugs and cross the fingers about getting it running again.

Have not heard back as to what she's done.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2010 19:40 #377423 by Motor Head
Pulled off the Stator cover, clean, tomorrow the clutch cover, as that would be where it was added by PO. The thing was rough when I got it, full of water and some rust in the fuel sys, 3cyl with 0 comp, bent valves, missing guide in valve cover for cam chain, dented tank, wasted seat cover, etc.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2010 19:50 #377427 by larrycavan
Motor Head wrote:

Pulled off the Stator cover, clean, tomorrow the clutch cover, as that would be where it was added by PO. The thing was rough when I got it, full of water and some rust in the fuel sys, 3cyl with 0 comp, bent valves, missing guide in valve cover for cam chain, dented tank, wasted seat cover, etc.

You seem to be mechanicly proficient. You'll get it sorted out ;) Look over the teeth on the cluth basket and crank real close. Might find that missing piece. The again it may have come out during an oil change at some point.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2010 19:59 - 21 Jun 2010 20:51 #377434 by Motor Head
Yea who knows when that was added???
82 with 26000mi, could have come out along with oil years ago. Top end has 1500mi.
But that DRY whine has still got me, this of course has the electric gauges, so only a clutch and throttle cable to lube. I did notice that the large starter gear behind the flywheel had a needle cage bearing, it spins well but has a bit of noise with out the oil in there.
Just want to be sure of no "KNOWN" problems before setting off on a trip.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2010 20:51 by Motor Head.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2010 04:28 #377486 by larrycavan
It't not real common but output shaft bearings can go bad from too tight drive chain adjustments.

Seems simplistic but check your drive chain out real good. Yank the sprocket cover and look things over under there.

Put it on the centerstand and run it in gear.

Are the swing arm bearings shot? Could cause misalignment when riding and possible drive chain noise.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2010 05:54 #377501 by Motor Head
Swing arm has no side to side movement, but i have a fresh set of bearings to put in as I'm sure it has never been greased. Will pull sprocket cover, then clutch cover to keep looking for tell tale signs of a problem. Chain has always been lubed and run at a proper adjustment by me, but in the past???? One of the great unknowns of used bike ownership, doing a big check over and Maintenance before taking trip. I know the top end of the motor is right, I may just end up splitting the bottom to satisfy my hearing.
Would love to find the rest of the Can Pull Ring.

More
22 Jun 2010 08:54 #377526 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE?????
One way to see if someone has tampered with the oil filler cap(adding who knows what) is to drill a small hole in the thumb grip flange for 0.032" aircraft safety wire.

Put a few twists in the wire and secure it to a nearby bolt or fastener. Most vandals are not in the habit of carrying safety wire and tools around.

This can be done for the oil drain bolt too as a peace of mind thing. It only takes a moment to check the integrity of the wire for signs of tampering.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
22 Jun 2010 09:26 #377533 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic PAN SHRAPNEL!! ANYONE RECOGNISE?????
Could be someone didn't like the previous owner and decided to "help" him have a bad day.

Hopefully you can find the other 25% of that thing without pulling the cases apart. Once you do, I think you'd be fine to slap it back together and go.