Milled head

More
17 Sep 2012 18:14 #549303 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Milled head
Sounds like a problem with your ignition, the coils are constantly supplied with +12v, and the ignition(or points) provide a ground when its time for spark.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2012 22:49 #549365 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Milled head
Make sure the ignition is off and measure the resistance between the two small wires on the coil. Should be 2-3 ohms.

Measure the resistance between the two spark plug wires on the same coil (remove plug caps).
Should be 17k-23k ohms.

If coil fails either test, replace it.

KD9JUR

More
18 Sep 2012 11:26 #549432 by SATSFYD
Replied by SATSFYD on topic Milled head
When you say test the two wires are you talkinf about the - and + going into the coil?

More
18 Sep 2012 11:27 #549433 by SATSFYD

Tomolu5 wrote: Sounds like a problem with your ignition, the coils are constantly supplied with +12v, and the ignition(or points) provide a ground when its time for spark.

I was thinking it was the a "bad" wire coming from the pick up...

More
18 Sep 2012 12:52 - 18 Sep 2012 12:53 #549445 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Milled head
Yes, the + and - wires, the only two wires on the coil except for the spark plug wires.

When the ignition switch is "ON" you should have 10-12 volts at both the + and - wires on the coil, when the motor is running the igniter grounds the coil to charge the it, then disconnects the ground to fire the coil and create spark at the plug.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 18 Sep 2012 12:53 by steell.

More
18 Sep 2012 13:35 #549451 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Milled head
It could be a bad wire(on mine it will be either the black or the green, and I would test that first(cheapest), then go through the paces for testing the ignition pick-ups.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
18 Sep 2012 17:04 #549492 by SATSFYD

steell wrote: Yes, the + and - wires, the only two wires on the coil except for the spark plug wires.

When the ignition switch is "ON" you should have 10-12 volts at both the + and - wires on the coil, when the motor is running the igniter grounds the coil to charge the it, then disconnects the ground to fire the coil and create spark at the plug.

I asked you this because I already did this... 11. something as notes in an earlier post.

More
18 Sep 2012 17:41 #549504 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic Milled head
If the ground wire to a coil isn't grounding check the CDI igniter (ignitor) module with a multi meter and make sure it's within spec. If it is check the pickup coils. Replacement aren't too expensive on eBay, or there's always the Dyna S option.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser

More
18 Jun 2013 13:19 #592879 by SATSFYD
So after a few (yes a few) months... I traced down the problem/s: The pick up coils went bad and had to replace them and the carbs needed cleaning even after I had drained all the fuel some was left here and there when I put her in stowage.