Milled head

More
29 Jun 2010 15:47 #379039 by SATSFYD
Replied by SATSFYD on topic Milled head
anarki650 wrote:

If she doesn't start after that, do the coil mod :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

What is the "coil mod"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2010 17:21 #379054 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Milled head
Any time you mill the head or block, you retard the cams. If it was just a clean up mill, it shouldn't be too noticeable. If it was milled for compression increase, then you would need to degree the cams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomolu5

More
29 Jun 2010 22:09 #379144 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Milled head
Would assure correct ignition coil wiring.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
29 Jun 2010 22:18 #379146 by Patton
SATSFYD wrote:

...checked the spark by putting a screw driver in the end of the wire and I can see the spark to the head....

This test doesn't guarantee spark plugs themselves are firing.

Imo best test is remove spark plug from engine head, leave attached to plug wire, hold plug base against engine head while spinning over the engine and visually examining spark quality at business end of plug.

Look for healthy fat blue spark.

Would also assure that spark plugs are correct size, such as NGKB8ES, per factory specs.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jun 2010 22:26 #379148 by Patton
SATSFYD wrote:

...What is the "coil mod"?

Coil mod is rearranging wiring for a more direct connection between battery++ and ignition coil primaries, to hopefully reduce any voltage drop at the coils resulting from the old oem wiring.

Imo such mod would be premature in this instance, at least until first determining that such voltage drop actually exists.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 Jun 2010 16:14 #379284 by SATSFYD
Thats a great mod. Thanks.
Also I did the spark test... blue spark jumps wells.

More
30 Jun 2010 16:15 #379287 by SATSFYD
When the head was milled it was done for clean up, not compression increase. It was a bit warpped.

More
30 Jun 2010 16:17 #379289 by SATSFYD
Now that I think of it I did see a spark from the wires by the handle bar on the right side... I think I will check out the wiring.

More
17 Sep 2012 14:56 #549265 by SATSFYD
Ok so I have checked the ignition coils for input voltage with my multimeter. I found something VERY weird.

The coil on the left (as you are sitting on the bike) was showing a 11.26 at the wires coming in and I can see spark with my spark tester on the cyls that come from that side which are 2 and 3 (again as you are sitting on the bike left to right cyl are 1,2,3,4 --->) But no spark on cyls 1, 4 which com from the right coil.

So I did the test on the right side and found that the power input was 11.26 again but only if I ground the coil to the head cover and not the black ground that goes to the coil... (It read 0)

Has anyone seen this before? I am thinking it's a bad wire coming from the pick up module.

Thoughts?

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2012 15:11 #549269 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Milled head

SATSFYD wrote: When the head was milled it was done for clean up, not compression increase. It was a bit warpped.

Thats more than a cleanup.....ohhh

More
17 Sep 2012 15:20 #549273 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Milled head
Sounds like a bad ground wire to me, have you tried jiggling it? For short term testing you could just hard-wire a new ground to it to see if that fixes it. If it does, you'll know thats the problem and can properly redo the wiring for that ground.
I always advise against leaving a bunch of quick fixes in electrical systems. Seems like a good idea at the time, but a year later when something else breaks, you'll be wondering what you were thinking before.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
17 Sep 2012 15:24 #549275 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Milled head
Just make sure you know what you're doing playing with all the wiring on the ignition before you start messing with too much. There's definite potential for harm there. Depends on your level of experience.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre