Milled head

More
21 Jun 2010 13:01 #377297 by SATSFYD
Milled head was created by SATSFYD
So I had my head on my KZ750 milled about three years ago. I put the bike back together ...yes three years ago and back then it would turn over but not start. I checked everything I can think of ... three years ago. Now I have moved and I want to ride the bike again. Same thing... will not start but cranks.

Has new plugs(three years old no miles) new battery...

Was I to adjust for the milled head or something?
Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2010 13:42 #377303 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic Milled head
first off , how much did you have taken off? If you took off very much you should have checked the piston to valve clearence when you put it back together. If your sure thats ok then check your compression . if it's low then you have another problem.

dshelly

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

More
21 Jun 2010 13:47 #377304 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Milled head
i'm thinking his cam timing is out.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
21 Jun 2010 14:11 - 21 Jun 2010 14:14 #377309 by SATSFYD
Replied by SATSFYD on topic Milled head
When I look at the cam chain the timing is "right on". I can't find the paper work that states how much I had taken off. It was just enough level the wrap in the head. It has been too long for me to remember. Man I miss having a lot of guys to hang out with that have bikes.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2010 14:14 by SATSFYD. Reason: 'cause I can't spell.

More
21 Jun 2010 14:25 #377312 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Milled head
KZ750

Twin or four?

Year model?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jun 2010 17:53 #377375 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Milled head
Check compression. If it's low you may have bent a valve.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jun 2010 16:17 #378004 by SATSFYD
When the head was milled, I had the valves checked. So they are good to go.

Its a 1980, KZ750 H, 4 Banger...

More
24 Jun 2010 16:30 #378006 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Milled head
not to doubt you but you 100% sure your cam timing is right?
because if it was off before and you cranked it, you Probably bent a valve.
start with the basics. check fuel and spark.
does it pop and fart at all?
if so you could have the coils backwards.
are the plugs wet?
hate doing this but give it a little shot of starting fluid if all the above checks out.
three years is a long time for gas to foul and plug everything up.
posting your location in your signature to see if there is someone close to you that can help is also a good idea.

keep us posted.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jun 2010 16:34 #378007 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Milled head
Drain the carbs and tank and get some fresh fuel.
Did you check the compression? It wouldn't take long to remove the valve cover and make sure the cams and valve clearances are right, unless you have done some already some guy's might have difficulty, sorry but don;t know your expertise.
All the basics need to be checked, compression, spark, and fuel, then it should at least run, if still an Idle problem or other carb issue. After that long it would pay to remove and rebuild your carbs, add a In-line filter if not equipped. Also lube up your advancer for the Ignition.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Jun 2010 17:37 #378019 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Milled head
Definitely check compression. If you don't have good compression you're blowing smoke no matter what else you do.

Next check valve clearances and cam timing.

Does the 80 have electronic ignition? If so make sure your not experiencing problems related to that. Had one that one of the pick up coils on the ignition plate went bad, bike's not going to run (well if at all) on 2 cylinders. If not electronic, verify timing is dead tits on.

NOW, drain your carbs and tank. Clean the carbs thoroughly and blow through all passages with pressurized air (from a compressor, 80-100 psi, not the cheezy little cans of compressed air for cleaning computers).

If she doesn't start after that, do the coil mod :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jun 2010 18:30 #378041 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Milled head
You say when the head was milled, that the valves were "Checked and are good". Was that the valve seats and faces? Or the valve clearances? Could the shims and buckets got swapped around?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 Jun 2010 15:44 - 29 Jun 2010 15:45 #379037 by SATSFYD
when I store the bike I did not keep fuel in her. I also kept the screws in the open during the time I was gone. So fuel gum should not be the problem.

I checked the spark by putting a srew driver in the end of the wire and I can see the spark to the head.

As for th buckets. I numbered and kept each one in with shim in the egg carton. They should match.

I have not touched the bike go a few days now. So I will check again after the battery is done with its recharge.

So... I will see what she does again... :unsure:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2010 15:45 by SATSFYD.