1075cc engine tech question

More
22 May 2010 17:11 #369892 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic 1075cc engine tech question
Z1000Lover wrote:

Well, I am gonna recheck the timing first. Campbell is an expert on these things. He suggests marking the timing marks with chalk so they can be seen easier. He has told me where the marks should be at 2500 RPM. That is my next step. After that if the problem persists he suggests a compression test. Only after that if the problem still persists the next step is to check valve lash. Most of these things I had an idea that they could be it, BUT, it is his suggestion that we eliminate what he calls "the stupid things" first. So that is where I am right now.

good luck and let us know what you find....suggestions were made assuming you had ruled out the small stuff....but know what happens when one assumes... B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2010 17:43 #369904 by Z1000Lover
Replied by Z1000Lover on topic 1075cc engine tech question
I thought I had ruled out all that small stuff too, but I am going back to square one and start all over and get it right. I appreciate all the help I get from people on here. I guess it is just after having this thing for so long it gets frustrating to see it sit in the garage instead of me getting to ride it.

More
23 May 2010 09:16 #370124 by Z1000Lover
I checked the condition of the springs and they seem fine and I have lubed them. One of my issues was that in timing it I did not know that Kawasaki placed two timing marks way out where the pivot point is for the advancers. Seems kind of weird to me to "hide" them like that. But that is where I realized my timing is supposed to be at 2500 RPM. Also the marks are hard to see, so I am marking them with chalk; that helps them to be more visible. I won't know until I get someone over to help me get her up on the stand. The stand I have is a hand made/welded job and it takes two people to manipulate it. Then you have to clamp the swing arm tubes to the rails on the stand. Otherwise the bike will fall off when you try and kick start it. And it has to be kickstarted because all components for the starter were removed years ago. But, and old Harley biker buddy of mine from years back always used to say that "real men kick start their bikes". I will know where to look after that.

More
23 May 2010 09:21 #370128 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 1075cc engine tech question
Z1000Lover wrote:

Well, Monty Campbell of California and the famed MaxiCarbs, and Maxi Dwell system, and also the best pipe money can buy for a Z1 called the Capmbell X-Pipe has given me a lot of useful tips. HIs suggestions are so far the best I have had anyone give me so far.

is he still building pipes? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 May 2010 09:28 #370133 by Z1000Lover
Yes, he is, and he still does carb work. I spoke to him yesterday on the phone. He will sell you a set of pipes for 579 plus shipping. He has the megaphones, and the canister style; either in chrome or black. If yo uwant to use the factory center stand you will need the canister types; the megaphones use the old centerstand mounts to hang from. He is going to bore my carbs out to 31mm and add a 5th fuel circuit to them. His work is guarunteed too.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
23 May 2010 09:36 - 23 May 2010 09:38 #370136 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic 1075cc engine tech question
why cant u kick start and test it from the side stand?
it would be simple to get the electric start going again. u can buy a used starter for about $20. then u just need the gear inside for another $10.
Why cant u ride it like that?
my 1200cc kz never idles bellow 1500 rpm.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 23 May 2010 09:38 by mark1122.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
23 May 2010 09:36 #370137 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic 1075cc engine tech question
Z1000Lover wrote:

I checked the condition of the springs and they seem fine and I have lubed them. One of my issues was that in timing it I did not know that Kawasaki placed two timing marks way out where the pivot point is for the advancers. Seems kind of weird to me to "hide" them like that. But that is where I realized my timing is supposed to be at 2500 RPM. Also the marks are hard to see, so I am marking them with chalk; that helps them to be more visible. I won't know until I get someone over to help me get her up on the stand. The stand I have is a hand made/welded job and it takes two people to manipulate it. Then you have to clamp the swing arm tubes to the rails on the stand. Otherwise the bike will fall off when you try and kick start it. And it has to be kickstarted because all components for the starter were removed years ago. But, and old Harley biker buddy of mine from years back always used to say that "real men kick start their bikes". I will know where to look after that.

And "real men" then walk around with a limp after their mistimed Harley kicks the dogsh-- outta them.lol.bj

More
23 May 2010 09:45 #370142 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 1075cc engine tech question
Z1000Lover wrote:

Yes, he is, and he still does carb work. I spoke to him yesterday on the phone. He will sell you a set of pipes for 579 plus shipping. He has the megaphones, and the canister style; either in chrome or black. If yo uwant to use the factory center stand you will need the canister types; the megaphones use the old centerstand mounts to hang from. He is going to bore my carbs out to 31mm and add a 5th fuel circuit to them. His work is guarunteed too.

can you pm me his contact info?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 May 2010 09:49 #370146 by Z1000Lover
I don't like running he engine and trying to tune it up on the side stand. If I am gonna work on it I prefer that it is standing straight up. And, yes, I could put all the starter components back into it, but that is the least of my concerns until I get the thing running like I want it first. Then I will deal with the little amenities later on. And besides that the entire wiring system has to be rewired for a starter. Right now the only wiring on the bike is for ignition, charging, and lights. This bike was stripped yeras ago in hopes that we were gonna try and run it in the WERA series, but later decided to make a hot street bike out of it.

More
23 May 2010 09:50 #370148 by Z1000Lover
And I have seen that happen before too, lol.

More
23 May 2010 09:54 #370151 by Z1000Lover
This is the page to look at. His contact info is on here:
www.x-pipe.com/motorcycle.html