KZ900 69.25mm two (2) ring pistons - anyone?

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
19 Jun 2009 17:30 #300754 by kzz1p
timebomb33 wrote:

you building a bonneville bike? i'm looking for a set of those just for that reason myself. there is an outfit in germany that is building them i remember seeing them a while back but i can't find them again.

I have seen a lot of single ring pistons on ebay. I was wrong on the size, it's 984cc and 998cc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2009 18:56 #300778 by KruZer
KZZ1p,

The pistons are the lower dome slipper style skirt.

Do you know if rings are still available?

Thanks,
Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

• kzz1p
  • User
More
19 Jun 2009 19:15 - 19 Jun 2009 19:19 #300784 by kzz1p
KruZer wrote:

KZZ1p,

The pistons are the lower dome slipper style skirt.

Do you know if rings are still available?

Thanks,
Buzz

I don't know, but I can check it out for you. I maybe crazy, but I want to say, they used honda rings????? I can PM you in a day or so, I have a lot going on this weekend.

Yosh doesn't have a lot of they specs on the net, the info is hard to come by. In 1982 Dixon Racing was buddies with Pops, they sold his parts. They are still in business (mainly new stuff) maybe someone will remember? This link is from there old catolog from 82,
Some of their old pistons, had "pops Y" on the side of the skirt. I don't know if they all did.........

PS- a lot of old Z stuff in that catalog (don't tell anybody)

www.satanicmechanic.de/download/dixon%ra...201982%catalogue.pdf

If this doesn't work, go to the satanic mechanic web site. On the left side of the page under downloads. Then you can find the Dixon racing catalog to download.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2009 19:19 by kzz1p.

More
19 Jun 2009 19:21 #300787 by KruZer
Timebomb33,

Yeah, a bike for the SCTA meets at El Mirage, in SoCal.

I currently have a 1260 turbo engine in the frame but I can't be competitive in the class with the Suzuki's so thought I'd try class that I can at least have a shot at the record.

I hope to have the bike finished by the Oct. event.

Buzz

• kzz1p
  • User
More
19 Jun 2009 19:21 #300788 by kzz1p
More like this, type skirt?
Attachments:

• kzz1p
  • User
More
19 Jun 2009 19:25 #300789 by kzz1p
KruZer wrote:

Timebomb33,

Yeah, a bike for the SCTA meets at El Mirage, in SoCal.

I currently have a 1260 turbo engine in the frame but I can't be competitive in the class with the Suzuki's so thought I'd try class that I can at least have a shot at the record.

I hope to have the bike finished by the Oct. event.

Buzz

What is the record? And who set it? What was the last KZ record? A friend of mine did hold a record. Brooke Waller is his name. If you find him, I will tell you about the bike (1015 motor)

More
19 Jun 2009 19:32 #300792 by KruZer
KZZ1p,
Looks just like that piston except only two ring lands, compression and oil.

Thank for the info at least now I have somewhere to start looking for rings..

Much appricated......

Buzz

• kzz1p
  • User
More
19 Jun 2009 19:34 - 19 Jun 2009 19:35 #300793 by kzz1p
Buzz

One more thing. On their site if you click pistons. It will show some other brands i have not seen before.....Good luck, John
Last edit: 19 Jun 2009 19:35 by kzz1p.

More
19 Jun 2009 19:39 #300794 by KruZer
Timebomb33,

The current record is 172.416 and is held by Ron Cook.

You've probably seen video of Ron at Bonneville when he got knocked off his bike and his foot got caught on bike. He was dragged quite a distance but came out of that deal almost unhurt.

The next time he rode the bike he wadded it up at speed and spend months in the hospital. He retired from LSR after that run.

Buzz

More
19 Jun 2009 22:24 #300841 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic KZ900 69.25mm two (2) ring pistons - anyone?
KruZer wrote:

Timebomb33,

You've probably seen video of Ron at Bonneville when he got knocked off his bike and his foot got caught on bike. He was dragged quite a distance but came out of that deal almost unhurt.

The next time he rode the bike he wadded it up at speed and spend months in the hospital. He retired from LSR after that run.

Buzz

Those pistons look like old Yosh Superbike pistons.

Gotta tell a story on Ron. He used to bug me to help him out on his LSR bike, and I don't know if I ever did. Fast forward, to some time after he crashed the second time, and those programs had been on the discovery channel..

There was a grand opening of the Race Rock restaurant in Las Vegas. Ron's wadded up bike was one of the display vehicles in the place. He was there hobbling around with a cane. I was invited because the Elmer Trett top fuel bike was also on display.

I was standing there looking at his bike when he walks up. I told him "Ron, If you had told me you were going to crash this thing like that and it was going to be on the Discovery channel a dozen times, I might have been much more willing to help you out." He laughed.

• kzz1p
  • User
More
19 Jun 2009 23:14 #300846 by kzz1p
APE Jay wrote:

KruZer wrote:

Timebomb33,

Buzz

Those pistons look like old Yosh Superbike pistons.

Gotta tell a story on Ron. He used to bug me to help him out on his LSR bike, and I don't know if I ever did. Fast forward, to some time after he crashed the second time, and those programs had been on the discovery channel..

There was a grand opening of the Race Rock restaurant in Las Vegas. Ron's wadded up bike was one of the display vehicles in the place. He was there hobbling around with a cane. I was invited because the Elmer Trett top fuel bike was also on display.

I was standing there looking at his bike when he walks up. I told him "Ron, If you had told me you were going to crash this thing like that and it was going to be on the Discovery channel a dozen times, I might have been much more willing to help you out." He laughed.

Jay

Is that the bike, that they move around, in a glass show case? Did it have the spokes ripped out of it, just wasted the whole thing?

More
20 Jun 2009 09:13 #300897 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic KZ900 69.25mm two (2) ring pistons - anyone?
That's the one. On one of those TV shows, Ron is going to open the trailer and take the bike out for the first time since the second crash. As they roll it out, the camera zooms in on the APE billet starter plate, then on a large APE sticker. I couldn't believe it.

That's why I said that to Ron in Vegas.