Before I burn this bike.....

More
18 Jun 2009 06:26 #300182 by Born Dead 2
Before I burn this bike..... was created by Born Dead 2
Ok, here's the long story shortened. last year I rescued a 84 zn700 from a guy who had it sitting outside for few years. Bike wouldn't fire, brakes didn't work and so on. So spent a few weeks on rebuilding the top end, rebuilding the calipers and painting the god awful color it was. Got it all done bike ran great last season with only a few minor electrical problems, but everything else good. So this year I put new battery,new plug ends cleaned carbs checked valve clearances, timing all in spec's, but now when I start the bike she starts, doesn't want to idle with choke on full, have to take choke down to half and hold the thottle open a hair so it doesn't stall. I know these are cold blooded beasts, but when I take the choke off, when it's warmed up I still have to keep the throttle open a bit to keep the RPM's up. after about 20 minutes of riding and coming to a light it'll idle without the throttle being opened, but it does pop through the exhaust a bit when I decel.
So my question is what the hell am I not seeing here? Everything is clean in the carbs, new battery, plugs, wires, everything is in spec, cam chain is rattling a bit, but I can't see that being the culprit or could it be?
It seems to be in the pilot circuit somewhere.
Anyone who has seen or had this problem?
Thanks in advance
BD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2009 06:42 #300184 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Before I burn this bike.....
Until someone else chimes in with another suggestion have you tried new fresh gas?

Fresh gas and a few tanks of Seafoam treatment. Adjust the idle up a bit.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
18 Jun 2009 06:45 #300185 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Before I burn this bike.....
your idle circuits may have gotten gummed up/clogged and a good cleaning of all removable parts in the float bowls..in a little tub of carb cleaner two inches deep six around and a fine strand/strands of copper wire to pass through orifices carefully so as not to break off wire in a jet....you'll need a good diagram of you EXACT carbs a tiny flat head and a blow up of where the little circuits are tucked away...also spraying the passages out and resoaking thrttle bodies a few times is important...the choke issues and the popping are my clues to the idle circuits being clogged.....good luck...just my guess....if it is and you pull the carbs and get em squeeky clean you'll notice a dramatic effect....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
18 Jun 2009 06:46 - 18 Jun 2009 06:48 #300186 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Before I burn this bike.....
Have you tried running Seafoam through the gas yet? You might get lucky.

Lol Kent beat me to it. Seafoam is good stuff.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2009 06:48 by austin3119.

More
18 Jun 2009 06:48 #300187 by Born Dead 2
Replied by Born Dead 2 on topic Before I burn this bike.....
OKC_Kent wrote:

Until someone else chimes in with another suggestion have you tried new fresh gas?

Fresh gas and a few tanks of Seafoam treatment. Adjust the idle up a bit.

Yup, fresh gas actually 2 tanks later. Haven't tried the seafoam yet. As far as adjusting the idle, When I adjust it up to 1100-1200 rpm's it'll idle fine until it warms up and then it goes up in idle and I have to adjust it back down.
doesn't seem right to me.

More
18 Jun 2009 06:54 #300191 by Born Dead 2
trianglelaguna wrote:

your idle circuits may have gotten gummed up/clogged and a good cleaning of all removable parts in the float bowls..in a little tub of carb cleaner two inches deep six around and a fine strand/strands of copper wire to pass through orifices carefully so as not to break off wire in a jet....you'll need a good diagram of you EXACT carbs a tiny flat head and a blow up of where the little circuits are tucked away...also spraying the passages out and resoaking thrttle bodies a few times is important...the choke issues and the popping are my clues to the idle circuits being clogged.....good luck...just my guess....if it is and you pull the carbs and get em squeeky clean you'll notice a dramatic effect....

I did clean the carbs this season already and put all new orings and seals in them. Thanks for all the responses.B) Also here is a stupid question for my fellow Canadian wrenchers. Where can I get this seafoam you speak of?
Thanks again.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
18 Jun 2009 06:58 #300193 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Before I burn this bike.....
the idle circuits are tiny/and out of the way and often get missed on inspecting for a cleaning...you may want to see a blow up and dble check that you got to em...i also had done cleanigns and adjusting and was not seeing em till my same problems arose...my 2 cents

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
18 Jun 2009 07:23 #300202 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Before I burn this bike.....
I had this problem once with a fuel filter too close to the carb inlet. Under full/half choke, the fuel would froth in the small gap between them.

Make sure (clear hose) that a nice thick stream of fuel is getting in there under full choke.

... and that there is absolutely no air/fuel leaks anywhere possible in the system.

Cheers, n' good luck!

Fellow Canadian wrencher.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
18 Jun 2009 07:27 #300205 by Born Dead 2
trianglelaguna wrote:

the idle circuits are tiny/and out of the way and often get missed on inspecting for a cleaning...you may want to see a blow up and dble check that you got to em...i also had done cleanigns and adjusting and was not seeing em till my same problems arose...my 2 cents

Thanks man, I'll tear the carb down again and go through it. Also I am going to run the seafoam. Where can I get that in Canada?
Thanks again

More
18 Jun 2009 07:44 #300209 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Before I burn this bike.....
I have had nightmares with bikes that have been sitting for years. I have torn a set of 26's off of my bike and cleaned them at least 20 times and even paid someone else to do them for me a couple of times and it would run great then poof. Same problem till I got some other carbs. Carbs are not always so easy to clean if they have been sitting forever.
Popping is carb related, possibly electrical and also even headgasket like my 80 z. I would accellerate hard and then when I would back down it would pop. I noticed a small oil stain on the block and to my dismay I found that the PO had overfilled the oil at one point which is about the only effective way to blow a kaw gasket. :huh: :lol:

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
18 Jun 2009 07:49 #300210 by saxjonz
fuel filter may be a problem as well. And the list goes on. Look inside your tank and if you see rust or junk then that stuff has a way of making its way back in to the carbs and like Tri said the low idle circuit is very finnicky. And just any fuel filter won't really work that well. You have to get a really nice one that was designed to work with motorcycles. I have used those two dollar clear ones on my bike and they just don't get the fine stuff. The fine stuff is what mucks up the low circuit quickly.

79 LTD B3

More
18 Jun 2009 07:54 #300213 by saxjonz
There is another thing called ring free or whatever and you should be able to find that stuff in most bike shops. It works really well but I would make sure to change out the oil after you have run a tank of that stuff.
Born Dead 2 wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote:

Thanks man, I'll tear the carb down again and go through it. Also I am going to run the seafoam. Where can I get that in Canada?
Thanks again

79 LTD B3