kz 650 with gpzcamsProblems! Its ALIVE THANKS

More
02 Jun 2009 20:14 #295908 by odl666
Its ALIVE! I went ahead and opended up the engine and re put in the cams. Started after a lil starting fluid. Thanks everyone for the help. I just got one more question the bike wont idle so well and seems to be gutless I know it may be the carbs but what should i check first also i am thinking the clutch could be dragging or staying engaged how can i tell. Also the motor seemed to get real hot is this normal for a fresh built motor.

1978 kz 650b with gpz faq mods cams carbs polished and ported
1979 gs750e
1972 bsa lightning under construction

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2009 00:41 #295942 by Patton
odl666 wrote:

...seems to be gutless...what should i check first...motor seemed to get real hot....

A stuck advancer unit can cause those symptoms.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Jun 2009 11:38 - 03 Jun 2009 11:58 #296032 by odl666
how can i tell if the advancer is stuck it seems like it is good. The black rotor seems to be moving freely as well as the weights. I almost think it is the main jets. I pulled the plugs and they seemd to be running hot kinda white. Would the main jets make the bike hard to start i also don't have to use the choke to startthe bike. It has pretty large jets 127.5 main jet size for a 650 and it also has untouched gpz carbs with milled head with 25 thous off the deck and 85 gpz cams. I live in albuquerque nm were the elevation is about 5314ft and it also has 4-1 kereker header with no baffle and individual filters.

1979 gs750e
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 11:58 by odl666.

More
03 Jun 2009 12:16 - 03 Jun 2009 19:45 #296036 by Patton
odl666 wrote:

how can i tell if the advancer is stuck it seems like it is good. The black rotor seems to be moving freely as well as the weights....

Would double-check Dyna-S ignition timing. Ignore T mark. Using strobe-type timing light on running engine, align F mark at idle rpm, and watch advancer move back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping throttle.

Use the F mark at idle rpm (same as points).

Ignore confusing Dyna-S instructions about timing in full advanced position.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 19:45 by Patton.

More
03 Jun 2009 17:56 #296123 by nads.com
odl666 wrote:

how can i tell if the advancer is stuck it seems like it is good. The black rotor seems to be moving freely as well as the weights. I almost think it is the main jets. I pulled the plugs and they seemd to be running hot kinda white. Would the main jets make the bike hard to start i also don't have to use the choke to startthe bike. It has pretty large jets 127.5 main jet size for a 650 and it also has untouched gpz carbs with milled head with 25 thous off the deck and 85 gpz cams. I live in albuquerque nm were the elevation is about 5314ft and it also has 4-1 kereker header with no baffle and individual filters.[/quote white plugs means no unburnt gas from ignition timing set to late. should be rich as heck with those jets and that size motor. Check compression for cam timing retarded or check cam timing itself. focus on the intake cam. only other reason I can think of why its not getting gas is the slides not lifting up due to weak signal.

More
03 Jun 2009 17:58 #296124 by nads.com
nads.com wrote:

odl666 wrote:

how can i tell if the advancer is stuck it seems like it is good. The black rotor seems to be moving freely as well as the weights. I almost think it is the main jets. I pulled the plugs and they seemd to be running hot kinda white. Would the main jets make the bike hard to start i also don't have to use the choke to startthe bike. It has pretty large jets 127.5 main jet size for a 650 and it also has untouched gpz carbs with milled head with 25 thous off the deck and 85 gpz cams. I live in albuquerque nm were the elevation is about 5314ft and it also has 4-1 kereker header with no baffle and individual filters.[/quote white plugs means no unburnt gas from ignition timing set to late. should be rich as heck with those jets and that size motor. Check compression for cam timing retarded or check cam timing itself. focus on the intake cam. only other reason I can think of why its not getting gas is the slides not lifting up due to weak signal.

More
03 Jun 2009 18:00 #296125 by nads.com
nads.com wrote:

nads.com wrote:

odl666 wrote:

More
03 Jun 2009 18:14 #296135 by nads.com
I don't know what happened with my post. Anyway the plugs are white so there is not enough fuel. Late timing would leave unburnt fuel. As it is set up it should be rich, probably too rich. Check compression or cam timing to verify it has the vacuum to pull in enough fuel. If the intake cam is retarded it will be doggy and soggy and compression will be low. Only other reason off hand for lean condition is slides not lifting due to weaker signal. Cam timing is very misleading at times. Compression test will tell you quickly if it's off. Sounds like a cool setup. Be careful with it and you'll figure it out soon enough. When you start it up be ready to spray carb cleaner around the intake boots to check the sealing at those. Don't let it enter the carb opening or it can be misleading. You might need to use cardboard to block the mist from the carb openings.

More
03 Jun 2009 19:24 #296155 by odl666
thanks I went ahead an put a lil bigger jets 137.5. seems to of helped alot unfortunetly I have yet to get my hands on a timing light. I still feel the bike is not performing and it will not idle lng on its own, I also cant tell if the clutch is slipping or what it sounds like it wants to haul but no haul takes palce. clutch seems to release because it does go and the reason i question this is becasue i put red clutch springs from a kz 900 that are supposed to be an upgrade. I practicaly did everything that the gpz mod faq page sade down to the line minus the kz 750 heads. thanks for all the help.

1979 gs750e

More
03 Jun 2009 20:05 - 03 Jun 2009 20:06 #296172 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz 650 with gpz upgrades Problems!
odl666 wrote:

got a dyna s....

KZ650 Dyna-S also has a blue wire not shown in the following image for Dyna-S on large fours.

Regardless of bike model, it is important that the right-side module signals whichever coil is firing the inside plugs #2/3, and that the left-side module signals whichever coil is firing the outside plugs #1/4.

The large fours typically mount left coil for outside plugs and right coil for inside plugs.
Am thinking the KZ650 may be the reverse of this.

Regardless of coil mounting position (left or right side), whichever coil receives signal from right-hand module is supposed to fire the inside plugs #2/3, and the other coil receives signal from left-hand module is supposed to fire the outside plugs #1/4.

[Click on image to enlarge view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 20:06 by Patton.

More
03 Jun 2009 20:56 #296189 by odl666
Replied by odl666 on topic kz 650 with gpz upgrades Problems!
yeas sir i do have the ignition set up in that manner. the kz 650 is the same not reverse. I am lil confused becasue on my dyna s I have the rotor 180 deg different then the directions say I thought this was weird but its the only way the bike will run weird huh (the dot on the rotor is supposed to point left when 1-4 is at top mine is facing right) thanks i am gonna try posting some pics within the next couple of days showing my set up.

1979 gs750e

More
03 Jun 2009 21:24 - 03 Jun 2009 21:28 #296203 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz 650 with gpz upgrades Problems!
Thinking the rotor is 180 degrees off and should be repositioned so that rotor magnet faces left-side module when 1-4 F mark aligns. The magnet causes the module to interrupt ground from the coil primary winding, which causes the coil to fire through its secondary loop including the two spark plugs.

And would double-check identity of which coil has plug wires going to outside plugs (cylinders #1/4), and that the signal wire from left-side Dyna-S module is attached to that specific coil.

Thinking first assure it's hooked up correctly, and then go from there.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 21:28 by Patton.