2nd start post rebuild - obvious ticking noise vid

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 May 2009 13:37 #294851 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic 2nd start post rebuild - obvious ticking noise vid
thomas ed wrote:

I couldnt see any exhaust in your vid. :blush: I thought at first, like you that the sound your hearing was coming from the valve train, then I noticed one of my split collars wasnt seated.
Tom

There isn't much to see, just a header and slash cut beginning of a MAC pipe:

[img size=(499)] www.jasonfagan.com/siteAssets/graphics/kz1000_large.jpg [/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2009 13:50 #294852 by RonKZ650
If the engine is the same basic idea as a KZ650 or older KZ1000 I'll bet I know what happened. The 4 headpipes have to slip in the exhaust cutouts on the head obviously to crush the copper rings to get a seal. What can happen is by using thicker copper or doubling up the copper rings, you can easily build up too much gasket and not get the pipes in the exhaust cutouts. Probably one or more pipes are off center and tightened against the head casting not crushing the copper rings. I'd recommend using one crush ring in stock size only.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 May 2009 15:42 #294869 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic 2nd start post rebuild - obvious ticking noise
Stunning bike!

More
29 May 2009 16:01 #294870 by lapeerray
1 bad a## machine!!!

78kz650b2, 2009 kawasaki 25 hp Oturn John Deere with a 62" cut I had to have it. It was green and was powered by KAWI...,78 yamaha golfcar, Gone but not forgoten 82 v65 magna, 89 1200 Vmax, 72 GS380GT mint with 2000m.grandfather baught brand new in 72

More
29 May 2009 17:19 #294896 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 2nd start post rebuild - obvious ticking noise vid
Obviously on the left side of the motor 1/2 cylinder...

I would think with your hand in close proximity of the exhaust ports and with a twist of the throttle you should be able to feel the point of leakage... Yes/No?

Since you didn't mention any oil leaks of sorts, exhaust leak seems to be the culprit... Unfortunately with black painted cylinder/head and pipes, hard to say just where it is...

In using copper, one side is rounded and the other is flat sided. Rounded to the exhaust pipes, flat to the head.

Another neat little trick I learned from Plummen, Permatex copper gasket maker.... Just a light coat on the flat side to hold it in place in the head exhaust port. May find it seals the smallest of openings...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 May 2009 17:29 #294900 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 2nd start post rebuild - obvious ticking noise vid
no,no,no,no.....you don't just get to show a a picture of a bike that cool and get away scot free......we are gonna be needing a complete history and some more photos if you expect to get any more replies.......that has a story to tell i bet and we'll be needing some info........peace craigsheik*yerbouti wrote:

thomas ed wrote:

I couldnt see any exhaust in your vid. :blush: I thought at first, like you that the sound your hearing was coming from the valve train, then I noticed one of my split collars wasnt seated.
Tom

There isn't much to see, just a header and slash cut beginning of a MAC pipe:

[img size=(499)] www.jasonfagan.com/siteAssets/graphics/kz1000_large.jpg [/img]

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2009 15:19 #295532 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic 2nd start post rebuild - obvious ticking noise vid
trianglelaguna wrote:

no,no,no,no.....you don't just get to show a a picture of a bike that cool and get away scot free......we are gonna be needing a complete history and some more photos if you expect to get any more replies.......that has a story to tell i bet and we'll be needing some info........peace craig

Here is the basic writeup copy / pasted from my website...

Oh BTW it was an exhaust leak! Fixed and done, the valvetrain sounds like a sewing machine. Got to love it!

from www.jasonfagan.com --

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000 Vintage Superbike

Complete bare frame 600 hour custom build / Started December 2006 - First Ride July 14, 2007

Airtech Streamlining Fiberglass Replica Kawasaki H2R Race Tail sectioned and re-glassed to desired width

1969 Benelli Mohave 360cc 2.2 gallon fuel tank. 3/8" NPT custom machined fuel bungs TIG welded in

Tank was bead blasted inside and out then RedKote'd by a local radiator shop

Stock front fender lowered to follow smaller front wheel and chrome removed via bead blast prior to paint

Paint by local hot rod shop - PPG Moly Orange Mixing Tint shot as paint

Under side of tail / tank / fender sprayed with flat black rubberized underbody coating at paint shop

Checkered flag stripe kit by Steve Carpenter applied down spine of bike and is under clear coat

Over 30 individual parts power coated by Streetwerkz in Columbus, OH - Flat Black Textured

Frame gusseted per old Yoshimura frame gusset kit instructions - all tubing cut & fitted by hand

Seat rails cut out and new tubing welded in 4" higher to get seat on plane with tank

Over 1 foot of rear frame removed - upper shock mounts tied together - all unused mounts ground smooth

KZ1000 Police model swingarm - factory gussets, constructed with thicker tubing & thicker axle plates

Swingarm drilled and tapped for M8 aluminum spools for use with Pit Bull rearstand

Upper triple clamp cut flat on top removing perches all extraneous mounts removed

3/4" solid rod welded through frame and tapped to facilitate mount points for Honda CBR954RR rearsets

All brake calipers fully rebuilt, all pistons replaced with NOS OEM, K&L seal kits, Ferodo pads

Custom HEL Stainless Steel lines, rotors turned at local machine shop, 2001 Kawi ZX9R master cylinder

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200 KYB Reservoir Style rear shock absorbers

Forks fully disassembled for power coat, stiffer .90 39mm Progressive fork springs, 30w non foaming oil

Real rubber 39mm fork gaiters from Kawasaki EJ (W650)

Adjustable NHK steering damper and billet aluminum PMFR 39mm fork clamp

Custom machined front axle spacers as stock mechanical speedo pickup removed

---

1981 Kawasaki 998cc 4-cylinder engine "J-motor"

Extensively modified by Bob Boyle and Gary Raff of Advantage Motor Works in Mansfield, Ohio

Wiseco 1075cc 10.5:1 Piston Set

Vance & Hines .435 Hot Street Camshaft

Cylinder Head from a 83 GPZ1100 with an electronic tach - mechanical tach drive hole not present

Cylinder head and bucket area clearanced to fit large cam and intakes smoothed out but not polished

Cylinder head and cylinder block both decked for absolute flatness

Cam cover smog passages welded shut, smog hardware removed, and machined flat on top

New APE Racing (Kibblewhite) Stainless Steel valves, APE HD Valve springs, APE Guides, APE oil seals

Barnett HD Clutch Springs - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R750 clutch perch and lever - Motion Pro clutch cable

Hand built manual cam chain tensioner by engine builder

Carbs done in Texas by "WiredGeorge" Motorcycle Carb Master George Lesho

Fully disassembled, cleaned, jetted and air passages enlarged / drilled / modified for the engine as built

Carbs soda blasted and rebuilt with all new rubber boots, new zinc plated fasteners, etc.

Dyna 3-ohm coils, Dyna-S pickup, Dyna 7mm copper wires, Dyna DRL300 Rev Limiter set at 10,000rpm

Modified Kerker 4-into-1 header, slash cut prior to muffler with 'sidepipe' style exhaust exit

Spring back automotive style ignition key start under right knee

Complete custom wiring harness from scratch with 16AWG 10-color wire, all soldered, ATC blade fuse box

One relay runs headlight / one relay runs coils / one relay runs gauge / turn signals / tail lights

Acewell instrumentation - speed / RPM / signal indicators / high beam indicator / neutral indicator / oil press.

Jeg's 0-15psi oil pressure gauge tapped and threaded into oil passage on motor right side

More
02 Jun 2009 07:33 #295720 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 2nd start post rebuild - obvious ticking noise vid
great bike,awesome write up.can we get a pic of the left side,perhaps?:)
glad you had an easy fix.

leon holmes

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
02 Jun 2009 11:40 #295782 by XL777
My bike does the exact thing but on the right side. I never thought it was an exhaust leak but after inspection that makes total sense!! Thanks guys.

2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me