Time for a new exhaust?

More
22 May 2009 06:23 #293285 by athlonwirez
Replied by athlonwirez on topic Time for a new exhaust?
Hopefully I'll get my hands on one in the near future.

1978 LTD Partial Restoration in Process. (Do not have orginal exhaust)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
28 May 2009 22:21 #294774 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Time for a new exhaust?
Got my new Vance and Hines 4 into 1 yesterday and finished installing today! Tips for anyone who gets one:

1. Split collars seem too long, but if you back the studs out of the engine they are usable and make a snug fit.

2. The black metal piece that you might not figure out where it goes, can be used on the left rear footpeg mount as a centerstand block (so the chain doesn't rub against the centerstand when up). I'm not sure if this was the intention for the piece, but it is what I used it for.

3. For those who have seen the other posts about the muffler not fitting over the collector, they did NOT fix this issue! It took several recharges of my dremmel battery to sand the inner muffler tube down enough to fit over the collector. Others have brought to a shop or used something similar to a pipe expander...but I'm lazy! LOL!

4. Older posts say that the muffler mount needs rigging to fit properly. I got mine to bolt directly to the right footpeg mount as the old one did!

5. It sounds freaking great! I think the stock exhaust I had may have been clogged as well because the bike seems to run/respond better. It does NOT appear that I will need to rejet (thanks for small favors)!!

:-D

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
28 May 2009 22:33 - 28 May 2009 22:38 #294775 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Time for a new exhaust?
awsome...........good to hear!! Did the head pipes blue up already? I think i put less than 5 miles on mine before they blued up. Here is a pic of my 650 before i rebuilt it, this was when i just got back from the 1st run with it. Mine was a pain to get over the collector.........i didnt have any problems with my fit to the rear peg either.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2009 22:38 by oldkaws4ever.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
29 May 2009 19:36 #294929 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Time for a new exhaust?
Oh yeah! They blued up quick! I can't be sure but they might have even been glowing a little after my ride home from work tonight! LOL! Also...I MAY have jumped the gun a little saying that rejetting might not be necessary. I still have a slight hanging idle issue when the bike is hot, but in V & H's favor...it was there before and seems about the same.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...