Time for a new exhaust?

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
11 May 2009 09:55 #290192 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Time for a new exhaust?
Patton wrote:

clutch wrote:

...Throttle cable is definitely not the issue. I'm thinking it may be something sticking open on a carb or two. If say for example I am at a red light and the idle hangs a little high on me, I will squeeze the front brake and let the clutch out just a bit and it will drop back to normal....

Likely air leak through crack in deteriorated carb holder or old hard vacuum plug, or maybe just a loose clamp at carb>holder, or leak in vacuum tube from carb to petcock if so fitted, or loose fit where carb holder attaches to engine. And maybe some other place escaping me at the moment.

Good Luck! :)

Well I've sprayed all the rubber with starting fluid with no change in idle...I guess I will have a look at that vacuum hose and plugs next.

Thanks for the replies guys!

~Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2009 10:08 #290195 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Time for a new exhaust?
The spray test is particularly useful in the carb holder area. Perhaps WD40 or propane gas (unlit, duh) would have more noticeable effect than starting fluid.

Visual inspection is also needed on the vacuum caps and vacuum hose, especially to assure no cracks anywhere in hose and good snug fit of hose at carb nipple and at petcock nipple.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 May 2009 10:31 #290196 by Patton
Would also use strobe-type timing light to verify correct ignition timing and especially to assure that spark advance immediately returns to F mark alignment with case mark after blipping throttle.

Am wondering about possibility of advancer tending to hang in advanced position rather than immediately returning to idle position. Perhaps a cleaning and lubing of the advancer could be helpful.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 May 2009 10:33 #290199 by Patton
Might also experiment with slight enrichment of idle circuit.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Kingchiefa
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
11 May 2009 10:35 #290200 by Kingchiefa
Replied by Kingchiefa on topic Time for a new exhaust?
Hey Clutch,
You should look into the vance and hynes 4 in 1 exhaust if you don't already have it. I don't know how much they cost mine was on when I bought the bike. I know Z1 carries them check it out.

1979 KZ1000 ltd b3 Currently in Troy, PA. Hope to some of you on the road.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2009 16:34 #290306 by clutch
Kingchiefa wrote:

Hey Clutch,
You should look into the vance and hynes 4 in 1 exhaust if you don't already have it. I don't know how much they cost mine was on when I bought the bike. I know Z1 carries them check it out.

Z1 Apparently doesn't carry them anymore. I did find them listed on BikeBandit.com for a little over $300. I hear good things about the Vance and Hines, but I see a Mac system that I like the look of a little better. Does anyone know of this system? Is it worth getting, or should I go for the Vance and Hines system? Here's a link to the Mac:

www.bikebandit.com/product/12772?mg=5098&t=1&td=1

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2009 18:06 #290917 by clutch
So I got my engine gasket set and replaced the leaky ones (which ended up being caused by a previous owner using both an oem style gasket AND instant gasket!!!) on the bike today. One was the oil pan, so I removed the exhaust so I could drop the pan, and ended up breaking one of the tailpipes. So, if anyone hasn't seen my most recent post before this one, I was asking about the mac 4 into 1 exhausts and if they were comparable to the Vance and Hines because I like the look of the macs a little better. Anyone?

Oh! I almost forgot. Another of my previous posts had mentioned a hanging idle and someone suggest looking at vacuum lines and such. When I pulled the vent valves to replace the valve cover gasket, I noticed they were cracked. Could this be the culprit? Please tell me yes so I can think it's an easy fix! LOL!

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
13 May 2009 18:44 #290935 by Patton
clutch wrote:

...my previous posts had mentioned a hanging idle and someone suggest looking at vacuum lines and such. When I pulled the vent valves to replace the valve cover gasket, I noticed they were cracked. Could this be the culprit? Please tell me yes so I can think it's an easy fix! LOL! ~Clutch

Yes!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 May 2009 22:18 #293260 by clutch
Does anyone know if the Vance and hines 4 into 1 system will fit a 82 kz750 e if it is from any 82 kz 750 (csr, ltd, gpz, etc)? I found a great price on a site that I trust, but it doesn't list the E model so I need to know if it will fit!

Thanks guys,

Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
21 May 2009 22:57 #293264 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Time for a new exhaust?
hey clutch, ya it should fit with no probs at all. The worst that would happen is you would have to make a braket for the muffler.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 May 2009 23:19 #293265 by clutch
Awesome! Thanks! I just ordered it!!!! Can't wait for it to get here so I can ride again (worried that I might get pulled over for loudness or flames running just headers)! LOL!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
21 May 2009 23:47 #293268 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Time for a new exhaust?
awsome......i have a 4 into 1 vance and hines header on my kz 650, i love it to death, for the most part i ride it with the standard baffle wrapped pretty tightly. But when i want to feel like a real rebel i slide in the competition baffle....lol

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois