Time for a new exhaust?

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
09 May 2009 23:35 #289727 by clutch
Time for a new exhaust? was created by clutch
Recently after replacing some faulty exhaust collars and nuts on the headers, I noticed a tapping sound that I blew off as a poor installation job on my part. Tonight I started up the bike to go for a ride and noticed that the oil pad I have under the bike to catch a small drip (engine gasket set ordered) was blowing around from a source near the header/muffler/crossover connections. After riding tonight, I put the bike up on the centerstand, and took a look with a light. To my surprise, there were not one, but two fairly large holes (about a dime size) in the pipe.

My question is can it be patched, or would it be more worth my while to replace the exhaust with something new because I will end up constantly patching new holes that pop up from time to time?

Thanks for any and all advice,

Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
09 May 2009 23:41 #289728 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Time for a new exhaust?
If you remove the exhaust system, you can use a small punch and a hammer to tap around and see what amount of corrosion your really dealing with. You might be surprised that it is not that bad.

Most places will weld small holes up real cheap...

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
09 May 2009 23:50 #289729 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Time for a new exhaust?
clutch wrote:

Recently after replacing some faulty exhaust collars and nuts on the headers, I noticed a tapping sound that I blew off as a poor installation job on my part. Tonight I started up the bike to go for a ride and noticed that the oil pad I have under the bike to catch a small drip (engine gasket set ordered) was blowing around from a source near the header/muffler/crossover connections. After riding tonight, I put the bike up on the centerstand, and took a look with a light. To my surprise, there were not one, but two fairly large holes (about a dime size) in the pipe.

My question is can it be patched, or would it be more worth my while to replace the exhaust with something new because I will end up constantly patching new holes that pop up from time to time?

Thanks for any and all advice,

Clutch :)

Well Clutch, how thick is your wallet?

If you patch it and it is chrome, it won't look very good when the bike is upside down. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, go for a new one.

If the condition of the metal is somewhat good, a patch can be nicely done and last for a long time. If you patch it, plan on spending some time to do it right.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2009 23:56 #289731 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Time for a new exhaust?
Actually, I was hoping a patch job was a reasonable thing to do...

Another quick question while I'm thinking about it since it might be related...will an exhaust leak cause a (slightly) hanging idle when the bike is hot (warmed up completely)?

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
10 May 2009 07:08 #289785 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Time for a new exhaust?
OKC_Kent repaired his exhaust system using stainless steel patches. It looks very good, IMHO. Not sure, but I believe he used JB Weld as the adhesive; the chrome must be sanded thoroughly.

More
10 May 2009 07:19 #289792 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Time for a new exhaust?
Are the holes only in the crossover pipe?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 May 2009 08:21 #289830 by clutch
650ed wrote:

Are the holes only in the crossover pipe?

As far as I could tell, yes they were only in the one location. I did not do a thorough inspection because the pipes were still hot from having just finished riding. Will do a more thorough check when I take the exhaust off the bike (will make dropping the oil pan to replace the gasket easier anyway).

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
10 May 2009 09:03 #289844 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Time for a new exhaust?
That's good news. The crossover pipe can be replaced separately and can still be found new old stock. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 May 2009 21:58 #290108 by Pro_window78
Replied by Pro_window78 on topic Time for a new exhaust?
What you can't see can't hurt you right? hahahahah guess not

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
11 May 2009 01:00 #290150 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Time for a new exhaust?
clutch wrote:

Another quick question while I'm thinking about it since it might be related...will an exhaust leak cause a (slightly) hanging idle when the bike is hot (warmed up completely)?

Clutch,

The hole in your pipe will not cause the throttle to hang up. It is a different issue, check the cable(bends,cracks, binding,pinched,routed correctly,etc.) WD40 the cable,carb linkage,throttle housing, check intake clamps and condition of intakes. Most likely a small problem!

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2009 08:50 #290182 by clutch
kzz1p wrote:

clutch wrote:

Clutch,

The hole in your pipe will not cause the throttle to hang up. It is a different issue, check the cable(bends,cracks, binding,pinched,routed correctly,etc.) WD40 the cable,carb linkage,throttle housing, check intake clamps and condition of intakes. Most likely a small problem!

Throttle cable is definitely not the issue. I'm thinking it may be something sticking open on a carb or two. If say for example I am at a red light and the idle hangs a little high on me, I will squeeze the front brake and let the clutch out just a bit and it will drop back to normal...

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
11 May 2009 09:48 #290191 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Time for a new exhaust?
clutch wrote:

...Throttle cable is definitely not the issue. I'm thinking it may be something sticking open on a carb or two. If say for example I am at a red light and the idle hangs a little high on me, I will squeeze the front brake and let the clutch out just a bit and it will drop back to normal....

Likely air leak through crack in deteriorated carb holder or old hard vacuum plug, or maybe just a loose clamp at carb>holder, or leak in vacuum tube from carb to petcock if so fitted, or loose fit where carb holder attaches to engine. And maybe some other place escaping me at the moment.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD