boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Apr 2009 19:40 #286388 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
well todays progress report;

removed 76kz900 motor....noticed...z-1e on the motor # if i remeber right it should have been a z-1f...

got the motor on my bench...thanks amy!
got the offcenter boogered hole to start to drill in the center again and kept steping up easyout/and drill sizes with no threaded post backing out....
stopped just when i could almost get a stud to start in the drilled hole...ordered exhuast studs from my pinch hitter parts kid...first guy answered the phone was looking up mufflers...got the right guy on the phone..took two minutes to order...
so i'm gonna wait and try and thread chase the hole and not torque the nut too much...if this attempt fails to trhead i will load the whole motor in a truck and call local welders to have the thread tower/post/boss whatever thingy welded into a lump and drill a helicoil into it.....so it sit on the bench...no tear downs on any motors till after the motogp and summer...then correct build up slated....
so with my empty degreased rolling bike staring at me i rechecked the 73 z-1 motor and gave amy some gloves and presto we tossed it in the kz...the 72mm motor is in...got burned out about 3 so bright and early tomorrow am i'm bolting it in,installing the drive chain,covers,clutch cable, setting dyna,check shims ,install smoothies,install supertrapp,run around for a oil filter,and see if it's a go...if it starts i'm gonna warm it up and change the brand new oil anyway to make sure it is clean.....update tomorrow.... peace criag

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2009 19:53 #286392 by Mark Wing
Sounds like a plan. When I had a friend of mine weld up my tower we did it with the stud in and just welded around the stud. The aluminum won't stick to the steal.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Apr 2009 20:04 #286398 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
the pics you posted really helped me out a ton today...in my mind i could see your welds and the build ups locations which is kinda what i got(a side blow out)..(would have shot pics but too greasy and focused to stop and record,,tomorow though a few pics)..so i did not start freaking out when i was stepping the drill bit size up..there it still a outer core of the the steel stud threads on one side of the shitty cave i've drilled but i wanna stop and thread chase the hole i got,, or take your advice and see a welder before i erase whats left to weld too,,,,i thought about pulling the head ,but i get wrench lazy and i know it runs now !!!so later this summer i can fix it better.....the purist's on this site must love that weld shot ,or my plans,....f-it... i ride em not polish em...:woohoo:

Mark Wing wrote:

Sounds like a plan. When I had a friend of mine weld up my tower we did it with the stud in and just welded around the stud. The aluminum won't stick to the steal.
Mark

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
30 Apr 2009 09:14 - 30 Apr 2009 09:17 #286518 by Mark Wing
"The purist's on this site must love that weld shot ,or my plans,....f-it... i ride em not polish em."

I bet they like my inverted forks and mono-shock rear. I ride them too but I do a little polishing now and then.
Mark

Besides I'm not getting rid of my ported head.

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2009 09:17 by Mark Wing.

More
30 Apr 2009 09:38 #286520 by AXL
I have found that a stripped exhaust stud may be tapped deeper or last resort hela coiled to the correct 6mm size easily. Now as far as the studs behind the frame the only fix is to pull the engine out and then fit it. On the 77 KZ1000 I have been working on I have found 3 stripped bolts and or studs so far. And Im just chasing a good ground and oil leaks. This is supposed to be a fresh rebuild from a local shop. Called them up and said WTF is going on here? Had no oil leaks or stripped anything before they got into the rebuild. Said they would reimburse me for any cost to fix their mistakes??? Bought this bike back in Feb. 09. Have since learned the shop that did the work had no idea what they were doing.

More
30 Apr 2009 15:22 #286566 by Mark Wing
AXL wrote:

I have found that a stripped exhaust stud may be tapped deeper or last resort hela coiled to the correct 6mm size easily. Now as far as the studs behind the frame the only fix is to pull the engine out and then fit it. On the 77 KZ1000 I have been working on I have found 3 stripped bolts and or studs so far. And Im just chasing a good ground and oil leaks. This is supposed to be a fresh rebuild from a local shop. Called them up and said WTF is going on here? Had no oil leaks or stripped anything before they got into the rebuild. Said they would reimburse me for any cost to fix their mistakes??? Bought this bike back in Feb. 09. Have since learned the shop that did the work had no idea what they were doing.

Wow that's funny it cost the same to fix it as it did to rebuild it. Man that's a bummer.
Mark

Yorba Linda Cal.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Apr 2009 20:52 #286679 by trianglelaguna
thursday progress report:

got the 72mm z-1 motor bolted in and had to install a e-bay stator in the old cover cause the wire cases that run to the blue connector had been melted in a fire and did not feel like wraping em....any way i kept plugging away at... dyna ign...coil wires..drive chain ..header..mounting bolts..stator..smoothies...gas tank...covers seat.....called the little woman ...rolled it out in the street since its 8;30 here and??????no lights to the instruments no power at all.....went thru the suspects list and got no lights......fuses...white wires...black wires ...ground wire...ground cable....nothing...harness under tank connects ok...inside headlight...all hooked up...did not mess with handle controls so doubt they are boogered under switch housings....
called it a night...all back togther and no juicy juice...
oh well...it took a ....robbie robertson...E.L.O..gram parsons and elvis costello , gillian welch,faces (r stewart)c.ds to do..three rock stars...and two breaks to torture the nieces.....but it is looking mean and dead as a doorknob for now
i am wondering if the stator had a short would that kill all power to the bike....????????corroded engine ground by the right rear upper motor mount...???needs scraped and sanded off?????oh well it's a hobby.....some folks out walking the dog stopped to say their brother had one back in the day and pay compliments to the kz's timeless styling...cool...
the original kz900 motor is sitting complete on the bench waiting ona new exhuast stud...i do not have enough meat in the threads to drill for a timsert/heli coil....i dont think....i am wondering about just thread chaseing the boogered hole and adding some jb weld mixed 50/50 to the mess...will it take the heat an exhuast stud recieves.....i dont care about it not ever coming out again cause if it works i am gonna run the head till winter and re-do....the whole salami..

so elec hold up on the rebuild z-1900 mtr!!!!

and waiting on studs for the kz900 mtr!!!!
really wanted to hear it run....oh well sunday now....peace guys craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Apr 2009 22:34 #286802 by trianglelaguna
anyone ever use jb weld on an exhuast/muffler/header area...
and can anyone recomend a high temp epoxy for an exhuast stud application...thanks craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2009 06:21 #286948 by trianglelaguna
any takers....there is not a lot of area around the problem studs hole so am concerned about trying to put a thread insert and run outta room... jb weld or high temp epoxy for a temperary fix and a new stud threadedinto it??????then drill out and get aluminum built/welded up after summer????crazy?????thanks craig

trianglelaguna wrote:

and can anyone recomend a high temp epoxy for an exhuast stud application...thanks craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 May 2009 07:55 #286972 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.he
trianglelaguna wrote:

I have a friend that used JB weld to fix a crack in the combustion chamber of a Chevy Monza. It worked surprisingly well.
JB weld should take the heat.
I tried epoxy on the studs of the two stroke I mentioned earlier, never did get it right. But that was a long long time ago and I was probably using the wrong type of epoxy. Come to think of it JB weld is actually epoxy with ground up steel. If you are gonna tear her down this winter anyways, I would try it if it were me. Good Luck

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
05 May 2009 23:59 #288398 by l0g1c
Oh man, I stripped an exhaust stud today. It was already late, so I just coerced the nut off ;) and soaked the bastard in penetrating oil in preparation for tomorrow. Hopefully, the vice grips will do the trick. If things go south, I learned some tricks from this thread. :blink:

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
07 May 2009 10:13 #288747 by l0g1c
Well, I got lucky. The stud came out after I cussed at it for about 15 minutes. I was able to wiggle it loose with the vice grips by rocking it back and forth.

Now my question is, does anyone know where to find these exhaust studs? I ended up buying a 3 foot piece of 6mm threaded rod and hacksawed off a piece to get me by, but it's only Grade-2, and it's not going to hold for long. :dry:

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE