boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!

More
07 May 2009 10:32 #288753 by Indymick
Last week I broke a carb holder screw, motor was out so I thought I would use easy out to get it out. Broke off easy out. Called around and no one would touch it with the head on. Then no one wonted to mess with it with the easy out broke off in it. Anyway found a place here in Indy called wire cut tech. they used a EDM machine and burned it out $60 cant even tell it was broke.

1979 KZ650-c3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2009 14:13 #288793 by Patton
l0g1c wrote:

... does anyone know where to find these exhaust studs? I ended up buying a 3 foot piece of 6mm threaded rod and hacksawed off a piece to get me by, but it's only Grade-2, and it's not going to hold for long. :dry:

Z1E carries exhaust studs for some models.

Another reason not to use local hardware items is that some motorcycle exhaust studs use interference threads on the half that goes into the engine head.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
07 May 2009 14:42 #288796 by l0g1c
I checked Z1E, but I was looking under "exhaust". I took a second look after your post and found them under "engine". Thanks! I think I'll order a few spares ;)

What the heck are interference threads? :huh:

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
07 May 2009 15:12 #288802 by Patton
Interference threads are cut so as to more tightly mesh with the adjoining threads and be less apt to unscrew from their base position when a nut on the other end is being turned (usually counter-clockwise to loosen).

For example, when removing the exhaust clamp nut, it's desireable that the stud hold its position inside the engine casting and not also turn along with nut.

Been a long time since I've seen anything about this. And might be halucinating or recalling some distant dream. But seem to recall some parts listings in the past that included such information with a caution regarding which end to insert into the engine casing.

Perhaps this method has been superceded with locktite.

Regardless, you won't go wrong with studs from Z1E.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 May 2009 15:21 #288805 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
went and picked up my exhuast studs from a local bike shop today and while i was there i ordered 4 ex gskts rings...1 oil filter and a stator gskt.....67 was my quote ...turns out they wanted 7.50 per copper ex doughnut...no thanks...
got home went on z1e site ordered two valve cvr gskts,three stator,eight exh rings,two oil filters ,a tach grommet seal,and some k&n filter oil...76 with tax and shipping.....z-1e is the bomb...
studs go in tomorrow,try and get the other z-1 motor started...peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• l0g1c
  • User
More
07 May 2009 15:41 #288811 by l0g1c
Good luck, Triangle! Thanks for letting me pile in on your thread. :side:

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2009 19:59 #289197 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
i'm guessing i got away lucky...cause by easy outing and failing off center...i was into partial new aluminum and today it thread chased ok and the new stud tightened in fine...enough to still make the holes in the flanges..we'll see tomorrow if it tightens the header on.....got lucky this time i think.....never wanna snap one of these again thats for sure.....thanks for the tips,,,,,craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2009 21:51 #289690 by trianglelaguna
nope pulled out ...had to tighten it one last little bitty itty turn and pop goes the fu$%$%%ng weasel.....high heat jb weld and try tightening again tomorrow...if not im goona use a tiny bit bigger threaed bolt that is the right length and force it in...not pulling any more motors this summer damitt.....or i gotta pullit and weld it and tap it.....so much for riding to these events

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2009 21:32 #291572 by trianglelaguna
done ---fixed---running again!!!!!!!!!
took it to welder from the phone book.....cool guy ...had a 500 triple back in the day......left the whole motor..minus the dyna ignition...was told it would not be good to leave the dyna on.....the guy said 65 an hour.....he had a bitch of a time getting it prepped ...then built up the thread tower and had to grind it down again some to get good penetration....retapped it and installed a slightly longer stud i got to solve the three threads deal.....

100.00 bucks

i spent 25 on taps and bits and jb weld high heat junk....

next time if it happens im going straight to the welder.....one day fix.....markwing was right .....and others...thanks....riding tomorrow ..yippie

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• l0g1c
  • User
More
16 May 2009 14:37 #291705 by l0g1c
I do love a happy ending! :woohoo: Can you post pictures of his work?

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2009 16:25 #291740 by trianglelaguna
i almost posted a pic ...but the guy did such a good job that it is not easy to tell anything was done.....i really think he was trying to do a pro job....i just wanted a blob welded on but forgot to tell him that....he went overboard and fixed it like a factory exhuast port bolt.....perfect........just did my second ride today and it is running perfect.....good for 120.....hahahahahahaha

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife