boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Apr 2009 10:57 #283087 by trianglelaguna
so much for the all day ride....i wanted to address a simple exhuast gskts noise/swap and after taking the supertrapp off ,had noticed 2 stripped nut side, studs that i had neglected to address once before....
so like an idiot i double nutted one ex stud and removed no problemthat exhuast port s fixed...then put a vise grip on the next inside ports stripped one and broke it clean off flush with the head (the inside one on the frame down tube right by the clutch cable).......
not wanting to interupt my f&^%$ing stupidity and since i was on a roll i tried to easyout the sucker and since i cant get a perfect straight drilling shot at it (frame) i started to off- set the starter pilot hole and jumped it out a tad into the aluminum no problem next size up easy out 5/32 pilot and presto first three threads are now blown out in the thread tower and the stud is still in there......

i have the other rebuilt 1045 z-1 motor to go in and was gonna wait till after the races to swap......oh weel ,find out if it starts i guess

so now i gotta pull the motor and take a photo of the stud/and aluminum dammage while on the bench and get your folks take on it.....before i show off more of my talent on it...
what a drag ,,,,we were gonna ride to the boardwalk in santa cruz.....time to take the car now...oh well sandals,c.d's ,sunroof and sunshine...i guess i outta not ewhine about the bike too much......any help or folks been down this path and fixed it would be killer..hoping to fix this motor first......peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Apr 2009 11:19 #283091 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.he
Sorry to hear about the broken studs dude. Nothing can ruin a good ride like broken studs.
I had the same problem on a suzuki two stroke many years ago that I never could fix. I T-boned a dump truck on a 900 back in the 80's and it snapped the frame at the neck, and put the Kerker header firmly embeded into the motor and broke the studs flush. When I removed the motor from the frame I was able to use an easy out and conquered every last one.
With a little patience you will prevail.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
19 Apr 2009 11:21 - 19 Apr 2009 11:23 #283092 by kano
i have 2 buggered threads cyl 4 and 2 one has been heli coiled before so ill have to use the bigger sert,

your not alone, time inserts are highly recommended by ppl here.

NEW TIME-SERT M8 X 1.25 Metric Thread Repair Kit
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&s...IT&item=290306298463

NEW BIG-SERT By TIME-SERT M8 X 1.25 Thread Repair Kit
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&s...IT&item=300303962276

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Apr 2009 11:23 by kano.

More
19 Apr 2009 20:08 #283205 by APE Jay
We can probably fix it if there is not too much Alum damage. Doing one this week.

Jay

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2009 22:27 #283250 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
yeah thanks for the info folks....you know with our database and pool of expereince...i really did not trip out about my blunder today at all...i posted up the problem...and went and forgot about it and enjoyed the day....i'll pull the motor fix it or get it fixed and know that there is a site(kzr rocks) to seek out answers and move ahead...thanks guys...update next weekend and photos /questions before drilling...peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
20 Apr 2009 17:11 #283416 by AXL
had the same problem on a 77 KZ1000 I picked up to put back on the street. got it running and heard an exhaust leak. all studs werte tight I thought but the #2exhaust pipe was loose. dropped the exhaust and replaced the seal with a good used seal. tightened everything down and pulled the top stud outa the head. replaced the hela-coil with a new one and a NEW stud. that fixed the problem..no more exhaust leak.

More
20 Apr 2009 22:22 #283519 by toadson
After my luck with easy outs I will never use them again. What I would try and do is find a washer that fits around the broken stud and a nut. Weld the net to the stud and try to bring it out that way. It can be tricky, but if you have a washer on there it should keep you from welding to the head or anything like that.
Easy outs just make removing broken bolts worse imo. Theyre hardened and you cant drill them out once they break.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Apr 2009 22:29 #283522 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.he
toadson wrote:

After my luck with easy outs I will never use them again. What I would try and do is find a washer that fits around the broken stud and a nut. Weld the net to the stud and try to bring it out that way. It can be tricky, but if you have a washer on there it should keep you from welding to the head or anything like that.
Easy outs just make removing broken bolts worse imo. Theyre hardened and you cant drill them out once they break.

an idea except on this one it is flush with the aluminum thread jackets at best....i'm a carpenter so i am aware of the quick/snap/dam/bits if the drill gets too fast or it catches or just fails...your screwed again but worse......gonna post pics when the motors out and then wait a day to do anything and read reply's.....so i dont make it worse f=befroe seeing what folks think...it is kinda boogered but we shall see it on the bench better....good tip though...kinda thought the same maybe

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
21 Apr 2009 03:52 #283594 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
Tri... That sucks brother.... Sorry!

Ok, not sure but from your profile notes where this is the Z1?... If so, my KZ900 has 6mm exhaust studs and the earlier versions most likely do as well.

Over at REDLINE, they have 8mm stud replacements, maybe Jeff @ Z1 has them as well, not sure... Anyhoot, 8mm replacement studs are available so the hole would requiring boring/taping in this concept anyhow.

Now that you may have calmed down a little (I know, feel your pain) take the head to a machinist and get it corrected. Probably under a hunsky ($100) and all better...

I like most of us want and try to do ALL work myself but sometimes you just need to bring in the pro's... ;) They not only have the knowledge but the required tools that we just don't have...

Hope it works out...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Apr 2009 03:56 #283595 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
You make it hard to feel sorry for you when you talk about the beach and sun and all that. :laugh: :angry: Well it was 73 here today so I guess I can only complain about the beach part. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Apr 2009 07:14 #283625 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic boken exhuast stud and boogered thread tower.help!
donthekawguy wrote:

You make it hard to feel sorry for you when you talk about the beach and sun and all that. :laugh: :angry: Well it was 73 here today so I guess I can only complain about the beach part. :laugh:

well i will be sure and act slow on this one from here...wait hold on a sec........................o.k sorry about that...some gals a playing beach volleyball nearby and they needed some more sun lotion rubbed on their bodies...what a hassle....
now if i could only concentrate to type ,what with the noise from the porsches and zx10r's running around here...any how i'll try and get the kz motor on the bench this weekend and really thank folks for their responses....peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
21 Apr 2009 08:16 #283641 by Mark Wing
Do you know a welder? I had to have a tower fixed. IT was easy with the head off.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.