can a head gasket not run be r &r once

More
12 Apr 2009 15:19 #281061 by Fred250LTD
Replied by Fred250LTD on topic can a head gasket not run be r &r once
I have successfully reused fibre or paper gasket by lightly coating them with gasket maker. works great. If you cant find a new paper gasket make a Tide box gasket and coat it with gasket maker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2009 15:20 #281062 by Fred250LTD
Replied by Fred250LTD on topic can a head gasket not run be r &r once
Not for a head gasket just speaki8ng in general mind you

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 Apr 2009 16:38 #281096 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic can a head gasket not run be r &r once
alright its killing me...here how i screwed up and why i am gonna redo a z-1 i just put back together....

i bought new rings ....did not actually measure the end gaps...i did insert em into the bore and see that about a matchbook cover was open.......

i bought new c-clips and had em shooting out of my pliers a few times and lost one ...so i used an old one...the ones i bought from wiseco were thicker than the ones from the stock 11/73 z-1 (and that is the straight used one i put in)...

i also am not 100% sure on the rings being exact on their stagger front-back-front....

i also want to polish the piston tops and clean the top of the chamber some....

there i said it ..i reused a clip and it is gonna come back apart........it was mostly just having a messy work area and now it is really clean and i want another shot at er...ordering new c-clips wiseco ..this week....

the motor was way corroded and i easy off oven cleanered after assmb....i also want to engine paint the parts when its apart.........my mistake....learned....did not try and run it though.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
12 Apr 2009 18:18 #281149 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic can a head gasket not run be r &r once
trianglelaguna wrote:

alright its killing me...here how i screwed up and why i am gonna redo a z-1 i just put back together....

i bought new rings ....did not actually measure the end gaps...i did insert em into the bore and see that about a matchbook cover was open.......

i bought new c-clips and had em shooting out of my pliers a few times and lost one ...so i used an old one...the ones i bought from wiseco were thicker than the ones from the stock 11/73 z-1 (and that is the straight used one i put in)...

i also am not 100% sure on the rings being exact on their stagger front-back-front....

i also want to polish the piston tops and clean the top of the chamber some....

there i said it ..i reused a clip and it is gonna come back apart........it was mostly just having a messy work area and now it is really clean and i want another shot at er...ordering new c-clips wiseco ..this week....

the motor was way corroded and i easy off oven cleanered after assmb....i also want to engine paint the parts when its apart.........my mistake....learned....did not try and run it though.....

those clips are a pain....sucked just gettin em out...i m running the teflon buttons...a ten year old high on nyquil could put buttons in.....longevity arent their strong suit from what i hear, but beats messing with those damn clips....

More
12 Apr 2009 22:04 #281273 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic can a head gasket not run be r &r once
trianglelaguna wrote:

That one I know: you need about .003" - .004" end gap PER INCH DIAMETER OF BORE.

1979 KZ-750 Twin