Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!

More
23 Mar 2009 19:15 #274694 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!
It's hard to say if the seal has a problem. I would clean it all up spotless, ride the bike for about 15 - 30 minutes, and take another look. If the oil is coming from the crank seal you should be able to see oil running down from the seal, but if it's coming from the oil pressure switch the crank seal area should still be clean and you should see oil near the switch. I'm surprised you didn't have ignition problems with that much oil in there. I wonder it the previous owner had stuck the bolt you found in the drain hole trying to hide or stop the leak? One other question; you said the oil was overfilled. Do you think it was filled all the way up to the crankshaft at the level of oil stain in under the points cover? If so, you may find you don't have a leak problem at all once you clean things up and put the correct amount of oil in the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2009 19:19 #274695 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!
holy crap!! i agree with Ed. give that a try.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
23 Mar 2009 19:20 #274696 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!
650ed wrote:

Do you think it was filled all the way up to the crankshaft at the level of oil stain in under the points cover? If so, you may find you don't have a leak problem at all once you clean things up and put the correct amount of oil in the engine. Ed

It is possible. If you notice the oil window in the pic, I have corrected the oil level issue. I pulled the plug and replaced it when the oil level dropped to within spec. I am not sure if the level was quite that high, though I will take your advice, to clean it up and ride it.

I did do a quick wipe job earlier (with just the cover off) and started the bike back up after draining some oil. It still dripped, though not as much. It could have just been run off from the previous level issues, but I kind of doubt it. Anyway, I may throw it back together tonight and go for a ride, if not, I will tomorrow. Either way, I will post to let all know.

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2009 21:54 #274727 by clutch
Ok guys. All I have to say is that you are awesome! I cleaned up the old oil, put the ignition stuff back in the bike, left the cover off and started her up. I wish I could say that I had no leaking, but when I shined a light in the area I could very clearly see oil coming out of the pressure switch, not the crankshaft seal.

So, my favorite motorcycle gurus, do I need to replace the part, or is it something that I can fix? I'm hoping it is fixable so that I can ride again soon without oil splatter, and not have to pay for a new part. But, either way I at least know that I will be fixing the issue and not wasting time on an educated guess.

Thanks again for all the support guys,

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2009 22:44 - 23 Mar 2009 22:46 #274733 by clutch
Interesting thought...I have an old 2" oil pressure gauge sitting in a box in the garage...is it possible to replace the stock switch with a pressure sending unit? I think the one that I have for the gauge would actually be too big to fit in the same spot, though I am thinking there is a way to do it. Any thoughts/ideas on using the pressure gauge and nixxing the light switch????

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 23 Mar 2009 22:46 by clutch.

More
24 Mar 2009 05:44 #274786 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!
Clutch, if you go with the pressure gauge, be sure it's the correct thread or you will have bigger problems with a stripped hole.

If the thread is the same size, then is the dial assembly small enough to fit in there with the timing plate and can you get the cover back on to protect everything in there.

For me, no pressure alarm is a show stopper. These engines will last decades and decades as long as you have oil. Just my 2 cents worth, It's your bike and your choice.

Best of success. :)

Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
24 Mar 2009 05:57 #274791 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!
if it were up to me, i would just get a new stock OEM pressure switch.

More
24 Mar 2009 06:14 #274793 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!
Check with your local dealer. I believe the KZ1000P (made till 2005?) used the same switch?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 07:59 - 24 Mar 2009 08:29 #274821 by clutch
hoghaterkaw wrote:

Any ideas where to get one cheap? I found one on ebay for about $50 including shipping and that seems to be the lowest price around!

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 24 Mar 2009 08:29 by clutch.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 08:41 #274839 by clutch
clutch wrote:

hoghaterkaw wrote:

Any ideas where to get one cheap? I found one on ebay for about $50 including shipping and that seems to be the lowest price around!

~Clutch

After searching a little more, I just went with the one on eBay. They have one more listed if anyone is looking for this part as well! Part # 16144-006

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
24 Mar 2009 11:37 #274896 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Troublesome Oil Leak After bolt falls out!
Hey clutch, glad your problem was the oil pressure switch and not the crankshaft seal, the crank seal would have been a royal PITA to fix.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2009 08:19 #275251 by clutch
oldkaws4ever wrote:

Hey clutch, glad your problem was the oil pressure switch and not the crankshaft seal, the crank seal would have been a royal PITA to fix.

Me too! To prevent myself from riding with the leak while I wait for the part, I started prepping/painting the fenders, side covers, 1/4 fairing (emgo viper), and gas tank....but that will be a different thread. LOL!

~Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...