82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Mar 2009 15:56 #275340 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
Thats great news. It helps when u have a manual doesnt it.lol So much easier.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • whats the big deal about harley, i prefer 4 cyls!!
More
26 Mar 2009 16:15 #275602 by jswag5
Replied by jswag5 on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
(like charlie brown getting the football pulled away)AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

i finished putting the bike together and changed the oil and now the thing wont start again!!

i did not touch anything with the carbs or timing, i fully charged the battery last night, getting good hot spark, but no fire!!! now its starting to get embarrasin, what should i do now???????

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
78 honda cx500 standard cafe
RECENT 81 honda goldwing(barn fresh with 15000 on the clock)
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

More
26 Mar 2009 17:10 #275614 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
jswag5 wrote:

(like charlie brown getting the football pulled away)AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

i finished putting the bike together and changed the oil and now the thing wont start again!!

i did not touch anything with the carbs or timing, i fully charged the battery last night, getting good hot spark, but no fire!!! now its starting to get embarrasin, what should i do now???????

not trying to be a smart ass, but you turned fuel back on and can verify fuel delivery? tap each bowl with a screwdriver handle....

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Mar 2009 17:50 #275629 by jswag5
yes, ive tried all of that, fuel is in the fuel bowls, and the fuel is getting to the cylinders.

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

More
26 Mar 2009 18:01 #275636 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
jswag5 wrote:

yes, ive tried all of that, fuel is in the fuel bowls, and the fuel is getting to the cylinders.

so fuel and spark and no start....hhhmmmmm....

More
26 Mar 2009 18:11 #275642 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
What happens if remove air filter and use starting fluid when attempting to start engine? :unsure:

Am wondering if K&N filter might be over-oiled or blocked with a shop rag or something.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Mar 2009 18:19 #275644 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
Well if u have spark, were back to fuel or timming. u thought u had fuel before but u had to much. now u have to check again ,to see how much youve got now.
and double check the timming.:(

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Mar 2009 22:32 - 27 Mar 2009 23:13 #275982 by jswag5
my skulls about got a hole clear to may brain from all the head scratching ive done lately while staring at this bike.

I recleaned the air filter and removed the carbs again to see if anything was amiss, other than beeing a little sooty from the airbox fire i had the other day the filter seemed ok, i will need to repalce it soon because there was a few small holes burned into the cotton.

also i checked into the coil pickups today and found out a method to allow slight adjustment, if i dont start soon im going to try it.

other than that and a little carbon in the carbs from backfiring, everything checked fine, gunna run this POS over with my c3500 mud bogger if its not running soon

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
Last edit: 27 Mar 2009 23:13 by jswag5.

More
28 Mar 2009 01:16 - 28 Mar 2009 01:52 #275999 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
jswag5 wrote:

...fuel mixture screws were set out too far, i set them to the specs in the book and vroom!!!!

the bad news is when i stopped working on the bike the other day i left the petcock on pri and filled the crankcase with about a gallon of fuel, so its draining right now so that i dont damage anything.

...stopped working on the bike the other day i left the petcock on pri and filled the crankcase with about a gallon of fuel - - -

I would suspect serious float needle leakage, meaning leakage at the interface between float needle tip and float needle seat for whatever reason (grit or crud; worn or damaged parts; faiure to keep the needle-seat pairs together; etc.) Or possibly a float issue whereby the float needle isn't being pushed into position against its seat by the float tang. Perhaps the tang is set incorrectly or missing. Or maybe the float is leaking or lost its buoyancy or bent out of shape or installed upside down.

When set up correctly, the fuel level inside the float bowls should remain constant and not overflow, regardless of the petcock being left in PRIme position.

Excess fuel into bowl due to leakage past float needle is supposed to escape via the overflow circuit (where applicable) long before rising up into the carb throat and invading the crankcase.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Mar 2009 01:52 by Patton.

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Mar 2009 08:21 #276044 by jswag5
Patton wrote:

I would suspect serious float needle leakage, meaning leakage at the interface between float needle tip and float needle seat for whatever reason (grit or crud; worn or damaged parts; faiure to keep the needle-seat pairs together; etc.) Or possibly a float issue whereby the float needle isn't being pushed into position against its seat by the float tang. Perhaps the tang is set incorrectly or missing. Or maybe the float is leaking or lost its buoyancy or bent out of shape or installed upside down.

When set up correctly, the fuel level inside the float bowls should remain constant and not overflow, regardless of the petcock being left in PRIme position.

Excess fuel into bowl due to leakage past float needle is supposed to escape via the overflow circuit (where applicable) long before rising up into the carb throat and invading the crankcase.

I know this and have went back through the carbs, but the thing still tends not to start, i have done everything i could think of to get this thing started.

starting fluid, no filter, cleaned filter, cleaned the carbs, bench synced, still am getting no fire. the plugs and wires all all new, still nothing, is there something simple im missing here or am i gunna need to thrash the bike and collect my insurance???

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber

More
28 Mar 2009 09:35 #276058 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic 82 kz1000p wont start after top end rebuild
Man I feel for ya. When this happened to me it was a fuel delivery issue. Confirmed it when I used a little starting fluid and got it to pop. I know, I know, shouldn't be using starting fluid. We all can blow a motor up without it.
Wish I could think of something helpful.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

More
28 Mar 2009 10:11 #276066 by zoro
Hello Mr!B)

GHOSTRIDER,1980,KZ1000ST