Value of a performance build

More
28 Feb 2009 18:50 #268782 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Value of a performance build
As close as I have pics for right now but if you click on it I think it should be close enough. He is based in Chicago Elikon Performance Engineering or EPE and I think he has a website although you would have to search it.
He tuned my bike and, well, let's just say he knows how to tune bikes to run. He fitted a comp baffle in to it and said that the vance baffles are a bit too restrictive yet open pipe was no good for the street low end torque and you know? He was right. I tried taking the stuffing out of the baffle to run it and it ran better but when he fitted the comp baffle along with tuning it the bike was altogether a different animal. He is putting a 1075 kit in it with JE pistons as we speak and I told him wild cams for the street and I think that will be good for this motor. The other bike I have I want to go totally wild with as you remember. Blueprint and balance, crank will be worked on and undercut tranny, ceramic bearings some nice mikunis whatever will make the beast come alive. We had talked about the 1327 with a turbo but I think I want this thing to stay streetable but be as wild as I can get and call it a day. These are just beautiful bikes and perhaps later when the speed is no longer good enough maybe I will build a drag motor and rip it up at the track. I love what you are doing with your bike and this summer if there is a chance I would love to swing by and check them bikes you got out. I am going to Cali so if you are up for a visit...

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2009 18:52 #268783 by saxjonz
Yeah. The black and silver striped bike.

79 LTD B3

More
28 Feb 2009 18:58 #268786 by saxjonz
Here is the last pic that I have of that bike for now. I am going back to the shop on Monday and I will take more xxx shots for you guys if you like.

79 LTD B3
Attachments:

More
28 Feb 2009 19:11 - 02 Mar 2009 18:37 #268791 by saxjonz
No, actually I just spoke with Yianni today. He said he custom made that hub and it wasn't cheap. He bought the sprocket with a cush drive to replace the original in the design of the original. If you are interested you can call him about getting one made for your bike. 773 478-0508 EPE

79 LTD B3
Last edit: 02 Mar 2009 18:37 by saxjonz. Reason: Correction to answer.

More
03 Mar 2009 12:47 #269442 by Genros
Replied by Genros on topic Value of a performance build
What is the make of the swingarm on the bikes? is it a 4" over ?

More
03 Mar 2009 15:22 #269464 by saxjonz
The swingarm is a custom build 4 over. Chromoly made by the guy himself.

79 LTD B3

More
03 Mar 2009 17:17 #269492 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Value of a performance build
ive got a line on a rear spool and ive got a local machinist who said he can turn them out on a lathe for me,like everything else ive never got enough hours in my day!:(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Mar 2009 15:37 #270424 by saxjonz
That is cool. Those hubs look really nice on the bike. Wonder what the cost would be to do that.

79 LTD B3

More
09 Mar 2009 10:57 #270604 by Genros
Alright guys,

So I talked to both Cavanugh and also Yianni. Both guys were extremely cool and knowlegeable. Both guys agreed (if everything is as listed) the bike is the way to go. So now I suppose time will tell I need to get up another g and then go to Skokie to buy it.

More
09 Mar 2009 16:08 #270677 by saxjonz
Good luck on that. I still would take it to have Yianni look at it. Once you see it in the shop you will know what is what. The paint in pictures may not satisfy your actual tastes. Tell you what, I can go up that way and check it out for you and take some really good pics and post them online for you to peruse. I do this in good faith as it would be an excuse to go and see what is new in his shop since last I set foot over 2 years ago and maybe buy some stickers or something as an excuse to be there.
I just screwed the pooch and bought a new zx14 that I have regrets about since I haven't taken possession of it yet I wonder if I can get out of that contract.

79 LTD B3

More
16 Mar 2009 05:05 #272307 by Genros
So it appears someone liked the bike more than I, I went online Saturday to get the information to send in my deposit and the website says it is SOLD.I will call him today to see whats up. (IM bummed) I thought at that price it would sell fast. I slept on it and I appear to maybe have lost. Guess now the search is on.
The zx 14 huh, I purchased the first one in the neiborhood back in 06. Crazy fast, The power is scary smooth. I have to say, I have more fun throwing around the old bike. I sold my zx14 about six months after i purchased it.

If nothing else (another bike) pops up I am guessing I will be buying a swingarms and having a set of custom wheels fab'd to get started. (man i am bummed) I am not a patient guy. i was hoping to be riding this spring/summer

More
16 Mar 2009 19:46 #272574 by saxjonz
Genros wrote:

So it appears someone liked the bike more than I, I went online Saturday to get the information to send in my deposit and the website says it is SOLD.I will call him today to see whats up. (IM bummed) I thought at that price it would sell fast. I slept on it and I appear to maybe have lost. Guess now the search is on.
The zx 14 huh, I purchased the first one in the neiborhood back in 06. Crazy fast, The power is scary smooth. I have to say, I have more fun throwing around the old bike. I sold my zx14 about six months after i purchased it.

If nothing else (another bike) pops up I am guessing I will be buying a swingarms and having a set of custom wheels fab'd to get started. (man i am bummed) I am not a patient guy. i was hoping to be riding this spring/summer

Well, I don't know now if I am happy or dissatisfied about breaking the contract. I had issues with flooding in my basement that weekend or the bike would be sitting in my garage. I still have a few bills to pay.
I have to be honest with you. I went to go and look at the bike for you and it was so nice I made him an offer and he accepted.

The zx 14 was really nice and I think if I bought it I would have loved it yet for now I am glad I have the kosman bike instead.

I am fixing up my old bike and that is what you should do with yours. I don't think you lost out. I saw better bikes go for less. Get Larry to do your engine and for about 7500 you will have a real killer 1200 motor with beautiful polished everything and trust me you would have had regrets as I know that the money you would have spent their would have taken you a long way on your bike to make it better than that. Then of course you would have to have a good stretched swingarm. That bike didn't have a powdercoated frame, didn't have a great paint job and the seat???? ha. What it had were just a few nice parts. Wait till you see what I do with my 79. The perches will be aftermarket polished aluminum pieces around a grand. All show and all go. Well, just wait and check it out later. I will hit that bike with some serious cash without looking back I will start on her pretty soon now that I don't have a zx payment to make. Nothing will be spared on that bike. I have had it since 86-7 and I think it's about time to do something with it special.

79 LTD B3