engine seized up help kz750

More
16 Feb 2009 11:53 #265408 by jammor
engine seized up help kz750 was created by jammor
re: 1978 kz750 twin.......so I recently bought some used parts from another kzrider member- and rebuilt the top end of my bike- these were barely used cyls, +1 pistons, rings, and head. The parts looked good. I put it back together- my mechanic tweaked the timing, checked valve clearance etc and the bike ran great for about ten miles.
then i heard a metal on metal sound- cam chain clatter???- and the engine froze- bike shut down.
I can shift through gears but the engine will not kick (I haven't tried turning it in reverse yet.....

So I guess I need to start tearing it donw to see what happened- anyone got suggestions of diagnostics I can perform before I pull the cylinders off?
thanks
Frustrated Jim
1978 kz750

1978 kz twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2009 14:13 #265428 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic engine seized up help kz750
Ah man that sucks!!!

If it won't turn over the first thing I'd think is seized pistons. Did you make sure the rings were positioned correctly when you installed the cylinders? I'd pull it apart and see what pieces are destroyed...that outta tell you what went wrong...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
16 Feb 2009 14:17 - 16 Feb 2009 14:18 #265429 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic engine seized up help kz750
Did you try removing the spark plugs and turning the engine with the kick starter or the 17mm nut on the crankshaft end?

If it truly siezed upafter ten miles, I wonder if the pistons were not getting oil. Ten miles is about how long it takes the internals to get hot and expand into maximum size.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Feb 2009 14:18 by bountyhunter.

More
16 Feb 2009 14:57 #265439 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic engine seized up help kz750
If you heard some clattering I would not think a seizure right away. If you are lucky the starter clutch bolts may have backed out and locked the motor up, not likely considering you just did a top end. Start taking it back apart. Good luck. and you did put oil in it right?

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
16 Feb 2009 16:44 #265469 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic engine seized up help kz750
Hate to day it, but...flht is reading my mind. Either no oil or lack of lubrication moving though the motor. The former is a more common problem than you'd think after a rebuild.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

More
16 Feb 2009 17:24 #265483 by jammor
Replied by jammor on topic engine seized up help kz750
In answer to several questions:
1. I have not removing the spark plugs and using a 17 mm yet but that is the first thing I will do. I was so pissed that I just parked the damn thing. I almost took a sledge to it but luckily i caught myself.

2. I put the proper amount of oil in it- does the engine oil lube the transmission or is that separate?

3. I was very careful to stagger the rings accarding to the book. Only thing is these are used rings and I did hone the pistons. The rings are only supposed to have about 900 miles on them. The end gap was about as thin as my thumbnail- my mechanic eyeballed the ring end gap but did not use a guage...

4. My starter clutch was bad when i bought the bike so i always have to kick it- of course I don't think i went anywhere near the starter clutch when working on the top end....

thanks for any ideas- ill post as i go if i tear it apart. I live in atlanta if you know anyone that wants to buy this bike..

1978 kz twin

More
16 Feb 2009 17:26 #265485 by jammor
what could i have possibly done to restrict oil flow?

1978 kz twin

More
16 Feb 2009 17:37 - 16 Feb 2009 17:38 #265487 by bountyhunter
jammor wrote:

what could i have possibly done to restrict oil flow?

Oil flow going up top can easily be compromised if any junk falls down into the passages when the cylinder is being removed or replaced, or the base gasket is being scraped off. Also, you need new O rings on both sides to keep the pressure up top and prevent leaks. There are two O rings between the crankcase and cylinder, and four O rings on the two small steel tubes that join the cylinder to the head for oil flow.

My wonder was if the used oil rings and the oil feed holes in the pistons were clear enough to get good oil flow to the cylinder walls.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Feb 2009 17:38 by bountyhunter.

More
16 Feb 2009 17:42 #265489 by bountyhunter
jammor wrote:

2. I put the proper amount of oil in it- does the engine oil lube the transmission or is that separate?

It's all the same oil.

jammor wrote:

The end gap was about as thin as my thumbnail- my mechanic eyeballed the ring end gap but did not use a guage...

Cold end gap is supposed to be about .010" - .012" (nominal) and about .025" (max) if I recall the spec.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Feb 2009 18:46 #265537 by jammor
All the O rings I used were used. I used new gaskets- head gasket, etc.....
I cant remember four O rings on the two small steel tubes that join the cylinder to the head for oil flow. I DO remember the large skinny O rings that went between cyl and crankcase. I remember two small O rings about the diameter of a pencil eraser- i think they went on top of the cylinders- this is a twin so wouldn't i just have two of them...?
anyway all the O rings were used....

1978 kz twin

More
16 Feb 2009 19:13 #265546 by jammor
And I failed to mention the original reason I rebuilt the top end was because the engine seized. Perhaps I simply have a bad oil pump- I think I really failed to consider what lower engine components could be bad...??

1978 kz twin

More
16 Feb 2009 21:18 #265577 by jammor
I just pulled the plugs and valve cover. put wd 40 in both cylinders and tried to turn the crank forward and backward. I get very minimal play and the feeling im about to break my wrench or severely f*&* something up if i keep trying to turn it. The valves and cam chain LOOK ok- im not sure what im looking for. I suppose the next thing is to pull the head and cyls? can i use a thin wooden dowel in the spark plug holes to try and "unseize the rings"? or is there any point in that?
thanks for any advice in advance
jim

1978 kz twin