top head gasket leaking.

• SebRain77
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
12 Feb 2009 15:42 #264265 by SebRain77
Replied by SebRain77 on topic top head gasket leaking.
I find the Clymer to be okay, but I don't have anything to compare to. I might still try it, I got lots of time ahead of me, riding season isn't for another 3 months or so.

Ever hit the pavement? I did, put that gear on!

1977 KZ 650C1 - First bike, ever! For sale - or not!?!?
2004 Z750 - More power than I'll ever need...
Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2009 16:37 #264276 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic top head gasket leaking.
Just watch your cam timing. You will learn to count to 28.
You will actually count to 28 a lot. Did i memtion there are 28 links between the timing marks?

And be very careful when you tighten the cam caps down. Take nore that there is a groove in the cam caps and you need to line the cams side to side so the caps don't bind and you break a cap. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
12 Feb 2009 19:51 #264416 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic top head gasket leaking.
Be careful using the Clymer's book for torque values. I remember somewhere on this site where a couple folks stripped cam caps because the numbers were wrong (too high) but I don't recall which model was involved. Maybe post the numbers here for verification before tightening things down. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
12 Feb 2009 20:06 - 12 Feb 2009 20:07 #264432 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic top head gasket leaking.
Well, FWIW.....the 650 cam cap bolts (6mm) are supposed to be torqued to 95-113 inch pounds....which isn't a whole heckuva lot, IMO....but that's what it says in the FSM.
For some reason, you don't need any "non-permanent locking agent" on the cam cap bolts but you DO need it on the four bolts holding the upper chain guide sprocket. Must be because the guide sprocket bracket is kind of rubber mounted ???

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2009 20:07 by H2RICK.

More
12 Feb 2009 20:29 #264443 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic top head gasket leaking.
The idler sprocket gets a lot of vibration from the chain links and this varies with rpm. This will tend to loosen fasteners(bolts,screws) unless secured somehow.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Feb 2009 22:02 #264519 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic top head gasket leaking.
Man i'm gettin spooked. I have the clymer book,maybe i'll let the dealership handle it. The guy that is doing it is a straight guy that doesnt rip folks off,he is the one that told me right around 6 hours labor.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
13 Feb 2009 14:03 #264764 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic top head gasket leaking.
kzmarvo wrote:

Man i'm gettin spooked. I have the clymer book,maybe i'll let the dealership handle it. The guy that is doing it is a straight guy that doesnt rip folks off,he is the one that told me right around 6 hours labor.

Did he quote you a price? That's all you really care about, not hours labor. I'd be surprised if a dealer would do it for less than $800, at least around here for sure.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Feb 2009 14:47 #264778 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic top head gasket leaking.
It's not all that difficult of a job, but on a 900 or 1000 make note of what marks are referred to in the manuals for cam timing. A lot of guys have used the wrong marks and bent valves. On a KZ650, marks are no problem so just follow instructions. Be sure and replace rubber orings because these are the leaks, not the gasket itself most likely. I don't remember the manuals ever saying to use loctite on the 4 allen bolts that hold the tensioner to the head and I've never used it and have never had a problem, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Even though it's rubber mounted, the bolts still tighten against the steel pins so no problem torqing them down.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 Feb 2009 17:57 #264867 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic top head gasket leaking.
kzmarvo wrote:

do yourself and your wallet a favor...do it yourself..
if you are even semi mechanically inclined, do it yourself....i have the clymer manual and i read and re-read it 3 times b4 i jumped in....its basic nuts and bolts...i just completed my first top-end rebuild and with some help from the members here,
everything was good....it might seem like a duanting task, but it really isnt.....

More
13 Feb 2009 18:08 #264869 by keith1
keith1 wrote:

kzmarvo wrote:

do yourself and your wallet a favor...do it yourself..
if you are even semi mechanically inclined, do it yourself....i have the clymer manual and i read and re-read it 3 times b4 i jumped in....its basic nuts and bolts...i just completed my first top-end rebuild and with some help from the members here,
everything was good....it might seem like a duanting task, but it really isnt.....

i would rate my skills as fair to middlin' and i can do the teardown in two hours...get a second set of semi mechanically inclined hands for assembly and thats 2 hours again....add an hour tops if alone....6 hrs is probably book and a good wrench can beat that all day....6 hrs at rate is a stealership bill....not to mention what they will bag you for cam chain componenets that depending
on mileage you will need...you can get em cheaper
than they will charge you....a stock head gasket is cheap....go with a cometic and fill the o ring groove...shave down chain rubbers flush and you,re good....advice that was given to me and it was good...

More
13 Feb 2009 18:18 #264873 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic top head gasket leaking.
I'm fairly mechanical,been working on cars since i was 13. I can do carbs,motor swaps,almost everything needed to keep something running. I just nenver got into taking a bike engine apart,never used a torque wrench,my ol man was oldschool like a mofo and would always tear it down and put it back the way it came apart and it always worked.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
13 Feb 2009 18:26 #264875 by keith1
kzmarvo wrote:

I'm fairly mechanical,been working on cars since i was 13. I can do carbs,motor swaps,almost everything needed to keep something running. I just nenver got into taking a bike engine apart,never used a torque wrench,my ol man was oldschool like a mofo and would always tear it down and put it back the way it came apart and it always worked.

well, you are gonna need to know how to use a torque wrench.....20 bucks at harbor freight and i can tell you how to use it or about 50 other people here can....i used to twist many a wrench on old mopars twenty something years ago and this isnt any harder...trust me....keith