top head gasket leaking.

More
10 Feb 2009 14:21 #263584 by kzmarvo
top head gasket leaking. was created by kzmarvo
Gonna replace the top head gasket on my bike,its leaking. Any tips one the type of gasket to buy? I never replaced a head gasket on a kz but am very mechanical so i think i'll be ok,that and i have a repair book:) Any advice feel free:)

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2009 15:07 - 10 Feb 2009 15:35 #263598 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic top head gasket leaking.
kzmarvo wrote:

Gonna replace the top head gasket on my bike,its leaking. Any tips one the type of gasket to buy? I never replaced a head gasket on a kz but am very mechanical so i think i'll be ok,that and i have a repair book:) Any advice feel free:)

top head gasket -- the head gasket lies between the head and cylinder block. The valve cover gasket lies between the valve cover and head. Am wondering if top head gasket is actually referring to the valve cover gasket. :unsure:

If not already done, before replacing head gasket, would first - - -

Torque all head nuts to specs, and perform leak-down test to confirm source of leak.

Double-check other possible common leak sources:
Tach drive;
Valve cover gasket;
Half-moon cam plugs;
Exhaust ports;
Oil cooler hose connections.

Clean and thoroughly dry engine without starting it. Next, start engine and use flashlight to closely inspect and determine exact source of leak.

Z1E probably carries the head gasket. Where applicable, would use the oem style two piece gasket (not copper).

Good Luck! :)

P.S. If only concerned with the valve cover gasket, Z1E may also have it available. Same for the half-moon cam end plugs.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 15:35 by Patton.

More
10 Feb 2009 19:19 #263663 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic top head gasket leaking.
Patton wrote:

kzmarvo wrote:

top head gasket -- the head gasket lies between the head and cylinder block. The valve cover gasket lies between the valve cover and head. Am wondering if top head gasket is actually referring to the valve cover gasket. :unsure:

If not already done, before replacing head gasket, would first - - -

Torque all head nuts to specs, and perform leak-down test to confirm source of leak.

Double-check other possible common leak sources:
Tach drive;
Valve cover gasket;
Half-moon cam plugs;
Exhaust ports;
Oil cooler hose connections.

Clean and thoroughly dry engine without starting it. Next, start engine and use flashlight to closely inspect and determine exact source of leak.

Z1E probably carries the head gasket. Where applicable, would use the oem style two piece gasket (not copper).

Good Luck! :)

P.S. If only concerned with the valve cover gasket, Z1E may also have it available. Same for the half-moon cam end plugs.

what patton said.......my bike was leaking from all of the above when i got it!!!lol
if its really smeg covered, simple green motor cold and try to find the source....good luck....

More
10 Feb 2009 20:20 #263677 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic top head gasket leaking.
To locate a suspected oil leak I first throughly degrease the engine,wash again with some liquid clothes soap in a high concentrate, rinse well,dry using low pressure air, and then spray the aeresol foot powder and start the engine.

The foot powder will reveal where the oil leak is and is easy washed off with soap and water afterwards.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
10 Feb 2009 21:50 - 10 Feb 2009 21:53 #263703 by Patton
MFolks wrote:

To locate a suspected oil leak I first throughly degrease the engine,wash again with some liquid clothes soap in a high concentrate, rinse well,dry using low pressure air, and then spray the aeresol foot powder and start the engine.

The foot powder will reveal where the oil leak is and is easy washed off with soap and water afterwards.

Good call, and thanks for that info! :cheer:

In the past I've suggested using underarm spray deodorant with powder, believed since discontinued due to health concerns. But had not thought about the powdered foot spray. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 21:53 by Patton.

More
10 Feb 2009 22:17 #263709 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic top head gasket leaking.
thanks for the advice,its for sure the top head gasket. What is the labor on this,shop told me 6 hours.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
10 Feb 2009 22:26 #263710 by Patton
kzmarvo wrote:

thanks for the advice,its for sure the top head gasket. What is the labor on this,shop told me 6 hours.

:unsure: What year and model KZ? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Feb 2009 22:30 - 10 Feb 2009 22:32 #263711 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic top head gasket leaking.
kzmarvo wrote:

Six hours sounds pretty reasonable. You have to R+R the gas tank, carburetors, coils, exhaust pipes, head, camshafts, cam chain, etc. You will want to lap the valves and replace the valve guide seals while the head is off, the added cost to do it is minimal if you are pulling the head.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 22:32 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Feb 2009 05:46 #263763 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic top head gasket leaking.
If you are new at this and going to do it yourself. First, get a manual. Unless you already have one. They are worth every penny. especially the factory ones.

So while I'm at it. What does everybody think of spraying a head gasket with Permatex High Tack? You know ,the red sticky stuff. We used to use it on our dirt bike when we were kids. It worked great! Never had a leak.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

• SebRain77
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
11 Feb 2009 17:43 #263896 by SebRain77
Replied by SebRain77 on topic top head gasket leaking.
Ok, well this is good timing, I'm also going to replace my 650's head gasket, so the info provided above is great. I'm guessing using baby powder would have the same result in trying to pinpoint the leak?

Now onto a related question (without hijacking this thread): how complicated of a job is it to do it myself? I have some mechanical skills, I have a Clymer manual, and I'm pretty patient!

Cannot afford the shop's labour costs, hence the reason to try it myself.

Ever hit the pavement? I did, put that gear on!

1977 KZ 650C1 - First bike, ever! For sale - or not!?!?
2004 Z750 - More power than I'll ever need...
Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!

More
11 Feb 2009 18:58 #263922 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic top head gasket leaking.
bike is a 1973 kz900 engine is a 1977kz 1000.

More
11 Feb 2009 21:49 #264033 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic top head gasket leaking.
SebRain77 wrote:

Ok, well this is good timing, I'm also going to replace my 650's head gasket, so the info provided above is great. I'm guessing using baby powder would have the same result in trying to pinpoint the leak?

Now onto a related question (without hijacking this thread): how complicated of a job is it to do it myself? I have some mechanical skills, I have a Clymer manual, and I'm pretty patient!

Cannot afford the shop's labour costs, hence the reason to try it myself.

I can tell you for sure it would be impossible to do mine without the factory service manual. I don't think Clymers are worth much.

1979 KZ-750 Twin