Top end question

More
19 Jan 2009 14:07 #258828 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Top end question
trianglelaguna wrote:

when you scroll on the kz info at the top do you see anything in the filbase for your bike...just a thought

..lots of good stuff there, but no manual

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2009 14:40 #258837 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Top end question
Rgr, Can of worms. disturbed base gasket is probly consistantcy of stone. High miliage piston/rings sometimes lose seal after being dragged over unworn sleeves. and I'VE read std rings are nla. left to my own devices, I'd probly try brushing base gsk w.yamabond 4 and risk a new head gasket before disturbing rings. luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Jan 2009 15:12 #258844 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Top end question
old man rock posted a site with a lot of manuals. Try pm'ing him for the thread. i have it at home but my puter is down.
You could google the 650 forums and try them for a manual. Good luck.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
19 Jan 2009 15:35 #258848 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Top end question
rdgrnr wrote:

:blush: out now....head is off
..since I broke loose the jug/case gasket, it looks like the jugs need to come off as well...any advice before I proceed?
I'm thinking maybe slow down a bit til I get an OE manual..anyone have one on file?
Thanks everyone for the input:)

But were you able to separate the jugs from the head? Did you find the two small bolts inside the tunnel?

More
19 Jan 2009 15:37 - 19 Jan 2009 15:38 #258849 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Top end question
mark1122 wrote:

old man rock posted a site with a lot of manuals. Try pm'ing him for the thread. i have it at home but my puter is down.
You could google the 650 forums and try them for a manual. Good luck.

This may be the link mentioned by mark1122. :)

www.manualz.info/Manuals_pdf/

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Jan 2009 15:38 by Patton.

More
19 Jan 2009 15:44 #258851 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Top end question
Might find further info here > kz650.info/ :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
19 Jan 2009 16:00 #258853 by rdgrnr
HerrDeacon wrote:

rdgrnr wrote:

:blush: out now....head is off
..since I broke loose the jug/case gasket, it looks like the jugs need to come off as well...any advice before I proceed?
I'm thinking maybe slow down a bit til I get an OE manual..anyone have one on file?
Thanks everyone for the input:)

But were you able to separate the jugs from the head? Did you find the two small bolts inside the tunnel?

Yes, I found the 2 in the tunnel and separated the head/jugs.

I've been to the "manualz" link and the only thing for the 650 is the Haynes manual.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
19 Jan 2009 16:11 #258854 by rdgrnr
gane wrote:

Rgr, Can of worms. disturbed base gasket is probly consistantcy of stone. High miliage piston/rings sometimes lose seal after being dragged over unworn sleeves. and I'VE read std rings are nla. left to my own devices, I'd probly try brushing base gsk w.yamabond 4 and risk a new head gasket before disturbing rings. luck g

That isn't what I wanted to hear:unsure::laugh: Is it possible to just lube up the rings and slowly pull off the jugs?
I just think it would be a shame to be this far and not replace the base gasket. The #1 and #4 pistons are carboned up, and it seems like a good time to clean them as well.
....manual, oh manual, my kingdom for a manual:laugh:
...gonna keep looking for one...maybe ebay

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
19 Jan 2009 16:45 - 19 Jan 2009 16:47 #258862 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Top end question
rdgrnr wrote:

gane wrote:

That isn't what I wanted to hear:unsure::laugh: Is it possible to just lube up the rings and slowly pull off the jugs?
I just think it would be a shame to be this far and not replace the base gasket. The #1 and #4 pistons are carboned up, and it seems like a good time to clean them as well.
....manual, oh manual, my kingdom for a manual:laugh:
...gonna keep looking for one...maybe ebay

If it was mine I would pull the cylinder off and inspect/measure the wear. If the bike is relatively low mileage, like less than 40k miles, I would just give the cylinder a hone to break the glaze. If you can get a new set of rings at a decent price, go with them. If not, the old ones are probably servicable (inspect them).

If the cylinder bore or rings have rust, all bets are off.

YMMV

Definitely install a new base gasket and use 3-bond to seal it. My 750 came from the factory with gasket sealer on the base gasket. Clean the old one completely (that;'s a miserable job, but essential).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 19 Jan 2009 16:47 by bountyhunter.

More
19 Jan 2009 17:56 #258871 by rdgrnr
If it was mine I would pull the cylinder off and inspect/measure the wear. If the bike is relatively low mileage, like less than 40k miles, I would just give the cylinder a hone to break the glaze. If you can get a new set of rings at a decent price, go with them. If not, the old ones are probably servicable (inspect them).

YMMV

Definitely install a new base gasket and use 3-bond to seal it. My 750 came from the factory with gasket sealer on the base gasket. Clean the old one completely (that;'s a miserable job, but essential).[/quote]

why clean the old one?

no rust noticed anywhere in the cylinders...mileage is under 30k...cylinders mic'd at 61.75 mm...it only really smoked at startup..thinking valve seals(have new ones).
My real concern, as I have never attempted this before, is fitting the jugs down over the pistons. Do I need a ring compressor for this, or will I be able to compress them by hand?
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
19 Jan 2009 23:03 #258933 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Top end question
rdgrnr wrote:

YMMV

Definitely install a new base gasket and use 3-bond to seal it. My 750 came from the factory with gasket sealer on the base gasket. Clean the old one completely (that;'s a miserable job, but essential).

why clean the old one?

[/quote]I meant clean away all the old base gasket residue. You need it to be clean to get a good install on the new gasket. The head torques staright down against the base gasket, you don't want anything funky there.

rdgrnr wrote:

no rust noticed anywhere in the cylinders...mileage is under 30k...cylinders mic'd at 61.75 mm...it only really smoked at startup..thinking valve seals(have new ones).
My real concern, as I have never attempted this before, is fitting the jugs down over the pistons. Do I need a ring compressor for this, or will I be able to compress them by hand?
Thanks

You MUST use a set of ring compressors. You also have to get some props under the pistons. On the four hole engines, the pistons move as sets. Adjust them so one set is a bit higher than the other set and put the supports under them. Clamp the rings and slide the cylinder on just far enough to get the rings in. The lower set will still be free. Then transfer the ring compressors and supports and do the last two pistons.

It's possible to level all four psitons and do them at once if you have enough ring compressors.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Jan 2009 02:11 #258942 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Top end question
I compressed the old rings by hand. It took an extra set of hands, but it was done that way.

Worst part of the job was cleaning the old gaskets off, took hours it seemed, but I did not want to mar the surfaces.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.