more power?

More
23 Dec 2008 21:57 #254398 by School Teacher
Replied by School Teacher on topic more power?
I'm on the Nad bandwagon...... head out!!!

1976 kz900 in parts but will be going some day soon
1980 kz1000G1
1976 kz900 parts bike
1979 kz1000 shaftie parts bike
1978 kz1000 33mm smoothies 1075 kit
Troutdale Oregon USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2008 01:25 - 24 Dec 2008 01:39 #254405 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic more power?
ok. It's 900 bvored to 1015. It has .407 cams and 28 carbs. mm. 28 carbs 1mm each. I'm ok with the 4ft cams, tis the chamber to be jolly? Has plenty of valve clearance but is the squish optimum? Theres one of those two piece head gaskets in there and those are thick. So I know the squish isn't sqush. Am I making any cents here? Pay attention class, this is where it gets rough. I welded my head but my brain swelled. Now I want to try welding the bikes head. Friend won't let me abuse the welder again like I did. And that's ok. It's not fair that one number is bigger than the other. But fair is fare. I Don't like the ridge around the intake valves and think it would flow better with it removed. But I'm just not sure. Not just about the bike but life in general. Well that's another story. And I'll get to that one day. For now: do I have enough comprehension? Should I squish? Can I unshroud the head or will I risk infection? I'm very concerned about brain damage here messing with my head. All the power is coming from the top, not much down low. I'd like to get a faster burn with more bang. I know it will do it but it's at the point where I could hurt the flow if I'm not careful. That's why I need you guys to throw in. I'll probably use a thin copper gasket rough it up around the cylinder seals and oil passages and use rtv. I know it sounds bad but I know it wont leak. If I lose too much valve clearance I'll cut the piston tops. Cuz I don't care what they look like. As the bike is now it will stay with a zx6 from 30 to 130mph and pass it at 90 no problem. That's with a 160lb rider on. I want more and Know this is where I COULD get it. And by the way I lost 32lbs. Now I'm 218. So who was on my bike? No one. It was me at 255 against a cbr600. I gave u the computer estimated gross power rating. I gave it to the county judge once-he said you'll never be and office executive and gave me 4yrs prison. Then he turned out to be a "grabber" and got fired. That's just plain ENOUGH!
Last edit: 24 Dec 2008 01:39 by nads.com.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
24 Dec 2008 06:05 #254420 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic more power?
nads.com wrote:

RUN for cover. I've been off this bike for a year and a half waiting for my driving privilages

Don't you think its fast enough?:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
24 Dec 2008 08:45 #254459 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic more power?
When you o'ring the block, the o'rings have to bite into the copper gasket far wnough for the head to come down and squeeze the rest of the gasket to seal oil passages. I have seen old school gaskets that were not soft enough and the o'rings actually held the head up off the block. Seals compression fine, but what an oily mess when it was started.

You going to have the o'rings bite into the head?

Jay

More
24 Dec 2008 09:00 #254463 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic more power?
All I wanna say is that if your intake port diameter is much bigger than on the intake boots, you're causing unwanted pressure pulses that weren't intended by the manufacturer. Mr. Hemholtz wouldn't be happy with that.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
24 Dec 2008 15:41 #254524 by nads.com
I have specail o rings with teeth on them, they'll bite your finger if your not careful. Thanks for the tip on the thickness. The intake boots are enlarged to match the ports. Larry can you plug in the proper math here, take it easy the calculator's only got 8 digits.

More
29 Dec 2008 21:03 #255317 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic more power?
unshrouding the valves can only be done as much as the bore will allow. it helps flow at low valve lift, but at the cost of compression. you can mill the head to gain back compression. make sure its done by a pro. milling the block or running a thin head gasket or a thin base gasket can tighten up quench height/ squish. make sure you measure it properly. same for PTV clearance. and check/set cam timing. PTV changes with cam timing so be careful. measure everything.

weld the head on... now thats a new one lol

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
29 Dec 2008 22:51 #255329 by nads.com
Maybe I'll o-ring the head. I,ll look at all the oil passages first and it'll be clear what to do. Piston to valve clearance is no concern since I measure it anyway whenever I make a change in cam timing or head gasket thickness. With the unshrouding of the valves, I'm not talking about widening one side of the bore (like a car head), but cutting down the area on the roof of the chamber on a kz900 head where there is a ridge close to the valve. It seems the intake charge could possibly flow in easier if it did not run into this ridge or raised aluminum. The pistons are pounding out the base gasket and stretching the studs. So I have to go there anyway and re-arrange making sure everything works in harmony. A little grinding here, a little banging there, and a little magic never hurts anything but a 600. It's kind-of like a quest for power. Not a mission to destroy. And once the squish is issue is squashed, the flow is go, it's just going through the motions to get what I WANT! You know, why do I get this feeling some day I'm going to be standing all bloody, holding a piece of crankshaft in one arm, face black, eyes wide open. Tell me the answer to that one and I'll start building right away! Away from that part of the deal. I think one eye is already bigger than the other one. :blink:

More
30 Dec 2008 05:13 - 30 Dec 2008 05:32 #255339 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic more power?
Truly, I'm not trying to be insulting here but in following this thread I have to ponder.... :whistle:

I'm presently in the CAM degreeing process and in my studying of the Dale Walker Cam Degreeing DVD and numerous articles on the subject matter, I find this is an exact setup requirement and precise procedure for dialing my motor in for optimum performance. Piston to head decking, piston chamber clearance, valve clearance, valve timing, shims, compression, advancing/retarding, cam lobe centering etc... all play an extremely important part for obtaining that goal!

In reading your replies, items such as "A little grinding here, a little banging there", "valve clearance is no concern since I measure it anyway whenever I make a change in cam timing or head gasket thickness.", "I have special o rings with teeth on them", "no gaskets" thus loss of compression not to mention oil all over the place, "RTV", "Now I want to try welding the bikes head", "If I lose too much valve clearance I'll cut the piston tops :blink: " etc.... on and on...

I think to myself...

1) Either you're truly good at this... Magician/Guru/Yoda Master...
2) You have no friggin idea what you're rambling on about.
3) You're full of it and just blowing smoke up our asses.
4) You're just really, really stoned! :blink:

Seriously, it's probably just me not understanding what you're posting in power quest but I'm having some real difficulty following this....:huh: :dry:

Ok, I'll be quiet now...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 05:32 by Old Man Rock.

More
30 Dec 2008 06:04 #255341 by tw..
Replied by tw.. on topic more power?
OMR, you took the words right out of my mouth.

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

More
30 Dec 2008 07:34 - 30 Dec 2008 07:35 #255351 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic more power?
Old Man Rock wrote:

I forgot to RUN for cover, but at least I'm a quiet grabber. And I'll take Cam Degreeing for $200, Alex.

:laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 07:35 by Patton.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Dec 2008 09:33 #255363 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic more power?
It seem that u are triing to find a fraction of a HP without a flow bench or Dyno.What if it ends up with less power? All the power to u for triing. I just wory about measuring the dif .How will u know if its better?
Way more power can be had cheaper with higher compression pistions or bigger pistons and cams? Put the head on a flow bench.
If u reduce the squish too much u cant run pump gas, is that a consern?
i too am triing to find the magic # for squish clearance while on pump gas.
Its always fun to have an open dialog and hear all the opinions.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)