Need help with KZ1000 police special clutch issue.

More
14 Dec 2008 10:32 #252551 by OldHippie
Need some help with this one, please. I have a 2000 KZ1000 police special that I'm working on. I bought a new clutch cable because I thought the old one was stretched out. I compared the two before installing the new one. To my surprise they were the same length, but I installed the new one anyways.
Followed the procedures exactly in Clymers manual, pull the clutch lever in and had all the slack in the world. This was happening with the old cable, so it wasn't the cable giving me the trouble. The clutch release parts all fit together perfectly as I put the cover back on. Any ideas from you mechanically savvy folks?

OldHippie

There is power in words...just don't put too many together.
my ride: KZ1000P19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2008 10:48 #252553 by PLUMMEN
did you adjust it at the cover,the center adjuster and the bars?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
14 Dec 2008 10:53 #252554 by OldHippie
yep. Adjust screw counter-clock-wise until it became hard to turn, tightened nut and adjusted at front of engine and at clutch lever.

More
14 Dec 2008 11:10 #252559 by PLUMMEN
how much play do you have and how does the clutch act?maybe time to measure your springs and plates while youre in there.;)

More
14 Dec 2008 11:18 #252560 by OldHippie
When I pull in the Clutch lever it hits the handlebar grip. Clutch does seem to engage. What are the specs for the plates and springs?

More
14 Dec 2008 12:11 #252570 by PLUMMEN
yours is a j series motor im guessing,i dont have a manual for your model :(

More
14 Dec 2008 13:38 #252579 by MFolks
The 82 GPz1100 has the same type of clutch so it should adjust the same.

From My motorcycle service manual:

"Loosen the locknut, and turn the clutch release adjusting screw Counterclockwise until it becomes hard to turn."

"Turn the adjusting screw Clockwise 1/4 turn from that point, and tighten the locknut with out changing the adjusting screw position."

The above should be accomplished after all excess slack is taken out of the cable by using the adjustment mid point in the clutch cable and at the clutch lever adjustment area.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Dec 2008 14:11 #252582 by OnkelB
When you turn the clutch release adjusting screw counterclockwise, does it move in or out? You want it to move in towards the engine = reducing slack.

On 1981 chain drive and all the shaft drive models the adjuster screw should be turned clockwise until hard to turn, then backed off a 1/4 turn, you may have an unoriginal cover/release mechanism (or one of the infamous Clymer manual errors).

If the adjusting screw does indeed move in when turned ccw I'm stumped...

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
14 Dec 2008 15:13 - 14 Dec 2008 15:16 #252603 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Need help with KZ1000 police special clutch issue.
OldHippie wrote:

yep. Adjust screw counter-clock-wise until it became hard to turn, tightened nut and adjusted at front of engine and at clutch lever.

If that is the throw-out actuator, you are supposed to tighten it until you feel resistance then turn the other direction at least 1/4 turn. You can't have tension on it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Dec 2008 15:16 by bountyhunter.

More
14 Dec 2008 20:31 #252702 by OldHippie
Replied by OldHippie on topic Need help with KZ1000 police special clutch iss
OnkelB wrote:

On 1981 chain drive and all the shaft drive models the adjuster screw should be turned clockwise until hard to turn, then backed off a 1/4 turn, you may have an unoriginal cover/release mechanism (or one of the infamous Clymer manual errors).

I take it Clymer is known for mis-information?

More
15 Dec 2008 02:31 - 15 Dec 2008 02:32 #252732 by OnkelB
OldHippie wrote:

Well, not misinformation as such but I've come across a few errors in both the Clymers I have - diagrams being wrong, incorrect torque specs, rubber dampers mounted upside down, stuff like that.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2008 02:32 by OnkelB.

More
15 Dec 2008 05:19 #252743 by PLUMMEN
OldHippie wrote:

OnkelB wrote:

i have a stack of them i use to boost myself when i need to Clymer to the top shelve to find a shop manual !get it,clymer? i kill me,im here all week folks! :laugh:

Attachments: