KZ650 hop up parts vendor?

More
12 Dec 2008 15:54 #252254 by Dave Sloan
Replied by Dave Sloan on topic KZ650 hop up parts vendor?
Been a while but the gpz heads ports were cleaned up by hand at the factory and had bigger valves as well. Be careful of what type of cam chain you have as the gpz's had the hyvo style cam chain and most of the 650s had the simplex style chain except for the last of the 650 line.
What carbs are you going to use?

Z650B2 - Injected

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2008 11:07 #252816 by Skinthead
Replied by Skinthead on topic KZ650 hop up parts vendor?
I found a 750 head, bores and cams on Ebay and picked them up.

I am planning to megasquirt the setup, so EFI will be the way I go with this. I am going to use some GSXR 750 Tb's on it. Planning to port the head anyway, so a std KZ head will be fine.

Also picking up a 550 bottom end off ebay for the tranny. I want the 6-speed tranny. All else can be worked out from there.

Skint

81 CSR 1000, 81 KZ650, 83 GPz550

More
15 Dec 2008 11:13 #252819 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic KZ650 hop up parts vendor?
Will the gsxr tb's fit no problem?

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
15 Dec 2008 11:54 #252828 by Skinthead
No, they are fairly oversize for the application, and they won't fit the mount boots as they are either. I will have to mod the spacing a bit, rework the fuel rail, and cast up some head adapters to mount them.

Modding hte spacing is fairly easy, and reworking the fuel rail just requires a new section of rail from a vendor I have a listing for. Casting up the bases for them will take a little thought as I have to cast them with a bit of an internal taper to match the heads.

I shoudl be getting hte biek home some time this week, and will be posting lots of pics. Be watching the projects thread titled "Peeled Onion projects" for pics and details of what is happening next.

For those that hate my typos, I hope to be getting htat rectified this week. I have my right hand cut for carpal tunnel friday morning.....lol.

I think I have just about everything figured out on this monster. I am holing off on the tranny purchase for the moment. They pop up so I am not too terribly worried about the conversion to 6-speed right away. I have enough going on in the rest of hte engine to keep me busy....and broke....for some time.

Skint

More
15 Dec 2008 12:39 #252839 by 77_650B1
Cool, thats awesome you're casting stuff, I think I might make a forge next summer and start learning about casting.

Yeah reworking the spacing shouldn't be too bad, I was sizing up doing something similar as well, but then I decided just to get a set of BS34's. My bs's are from a 95 police, very clean. I'll be following you closely, I'm doing something similar, but I'm going to be away until the end of april, so my project thread wont be online until May.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
15 Dec 2008 12:54 #252843 by Skinthead
The furnace is easy. Look for a 5 gallon steel paint bucket, and then find a clay flower pot at Home depot that will drop into it. Youc an mix up refractory cement (furnace liner clay and portland cement), and fill in the bottom and sides so the pot sits at the top of the bucket. The lid is the hard part, but nothing terrible there either.

lots of info on the net on home foundry work. READ alot before you try this stuff at home. A screwup can be painfully disastrous or deadly.

I will take some time with a friends mill to work up the casting models in wood for the adapters, and cast them all at once. Just a little finish work to get them usable from there.

I save junk engine parts, pistons, junk lawn mowers, and any unsellable part of aluminum I take off other bikes I have and stash them away. Currently something like 200+lbs of aluminum waiting to be melted down for ingots. once I have some good clean stock to work with I will be casting several pieces i need for the bike. Planning to work up the rear sets in wood and casting them too.

If you want to get into casting stuff on the cheap take a look at www.lindsaybks.com and order a catalog of books. I bought the gingery machine shop series from them some time ago, and that is where I got started. There is nothign to it.....

Skint

More
15 Dec 2008 13:02 #252844 by 77_650B1
Yeah I've got access to a lot of metallurgy info, I'm a mechanical engineering student, almost finished my degree. My big thing will be building the foundry itself, from there I should be good. I even have a lab at school where i can go and analyze my parts to make sure they casted well and have a good microstructure, thats the kind of stuff I learn in school.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
15 Dec 2008 13:12 #252846 by Skinthead
Oh, after you have cast a few things you will be able to look at it and know....lol. I ran my first furnace on charcoal and a blow dryer. This time around I am going propane because I have some brass and bronze stuff I want to cast as well, and need the extra heat.

The furnace is only as complicated as you wish to make it. You can get the furnace clay from Grainger, but you will have to know someone who has an account there. mcMaster Carr may carry it as well, but I have never looked there to see.

I will look on the 2 bags of stuff I have and see fi I can find a website for them and send you a link.

One other thing I have to think about is pressing the crank apart, and where to get new pns and bearings for it. I might send it out, but I'd prefer to do it myself.

Skint

More
15 Dec 2008 13:20 #252848 by 77_650B1
Our cranks come apart? I thought they were one piece cranks on our bikes?

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
15 Dec 2008 16:55 #252885 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ650 hop up parts vendor?
77_650B1 wrote:

Our cranks come apart? I thought they were one piece cranks on our bikes?

They are, it's going to be real tough to get one apart without destroying it :D

Anyone can buy at Grainger, just name any company local to you and tell them you're paying cash :)

KD9JUR

More
16 Dec 2008 04:47 #252997 by 77_650B1
Haha thats what I was thinking, he's gonna have a rough time pressing that cast iron crank apart! :silly:

Where have you been steve? I was thinking your expertise could be used in a couple of these threads haha. :)

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
17 Dec 2008 16:01 #253255 by Skinthead
Well, that solves one problem. No having to press the crank apart....lol. I must be thinking of a different engine.

Are Carillo rods available for these engines? I'd like to bulletproof the bottom end on this thing as much as possible.

Skint